Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273423 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1200 on: March 09, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »
Welcome.  

You have found another great resource, execellent brains to pick here.  Lurk a bit and ask a lot.

Ed

Ed better to pick others brains than our noses  LOL.... :cheers: :cheers: :evil: :cheers:
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1201 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »
Charles,
           It's a big part of the appeal of LSR to me, all the knowledge that can't be bought because it's free, all you have to do is politely look and ask. 
           Going to try and talk our mentor into trying the liver mush at Mac's Sat morning the 10th, will be looking for you and the boys.

RC,
          Fair warning, the LSR hook sets fast and hard, no funner sport or better people.  Hope to get to see you having fun at a meet down the road sometime.

Ed

Offline FADED

« Reply #1202 on: March 11, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
HI, My name is Lance (aka faded). I am a big time hot rodder and been going to El Mirage since I was a kid with my dad. Now I am still going out monthly for the meets with my chillins. (ElMirage 2nd generation)I wanted to build something to run on 4 wheels but due to my money situation I'm gonna have to do it on 2 wheels. Not looking to set any records or blow minds, just looking to participate and have fun. (isn't this how it normally starts?). I am currently building a custom frame based off of a Yamaha mini enduro frame and my plans are to run the 100cc class with a Hodaka bullet. I plan on being out their in may to get it tech'd and go from there. I am a rookie so Im sure I'll have lots of question for you guys!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1203 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
Hello, Lance a/k/a Faded.  Welcome to the list.  It sounds like you've already got a good start in this avocation, so I won't spend any time telling you how it can (and usually does) get under your skin.  We enjoy it, though, and hope you will too.

Have you been lurking on this site and the Forum?  If so -- you'll have a good idea of the stuff we do and talk about -- and the ration of BS that you're likely to get.  Take it from there -- and don't be a stranger.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1204 on: March 11, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
Welcome Lance, BTW who is your dad?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline FADED

« Reply #1205 on: March 11, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
He wasnt a racer he is just a hot rodder. He did the same with me as I do with my kids. Send em off on the dirt bikes and then go watch the races and hang out in the pits. It doesn't get any better than that does it?   

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #1206 on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »
 :cheers:  Welcome aboard Faded....

You'll have a great time on the bike and there's lots of help to get you through the rookie orentation and tech inspection....

Good luck and let us know how your bike is coming along....not many days left until the May meet.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

HotRodV8

« Reply #1207 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »
Hello Faded - -

Welcome aboard!  :cheers:

I was a newbie in November. This is the best place to learn and listen about LSR. Ask questions anytime.

Let me mention that I have learned that kids are a part of land racing too. My first ever land race will be Speedweek in August at B'ville. My 8 yr old daughter will be there with me as I work on a cycle crew for the very first time. This sport is a family activity.

You are ahead of me with your bike build. I plan to be running on the salt on 2 wheels in 2011.

Bill

Offline manifest

« Reply #1208 on: March 15, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »
Zach Burns from East Tennessee

Always been a drag racer (started when I was 8 in a junior dragster).  After going to Maxton, NC a few times to watch and help my cousin Seth with his Production Pickup my little sister, Talor, started to show interest in racing.  She had just turned sixteen and it tickle me and our dad Brian to death that she wanted to race something.  We stuck her in my street driven '74 karmann ghia and sent her down the one mile course.  Third pass she broke the record in G/Gas Real Street at 114.04mph.  That was last April.  We have since ran the car at Maxton 2 other times setting one more record in G/Fuel Real Street at 117.??.  We went to Speed Week last August to watch and learn.  Plan on running the ghia in production class this year at Speed Week.  Hopefully by the 2011 season we will have Talor's Datsun, which she has had since she was 12, done.  It is a '75 280Z with a tube chassis, 9inch Ford rear with a not so average 4link setup, custom made front control arms, and plan on running a big block mopar naturally aspirated with a 4 speed jerico for movement.  45inch roof height makes for the lowest car I have ever built, and its not chopped!

www.manifestofspeed.blogspot.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1209 on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
Welcome Zach.  Nice looking cars.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1210 on: March 15, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Zach, welcome aboard. Hope all gets done in time for speed week see you there. Enjoy the web site, ask questions, you will find lots of help. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Baz

• New folks
« Reply #1211 on: March 17, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »
Hello everybody, my name is Barry{Baz), over here in the UK.
I take part in Landspeed events on runways over here. I have many 200mph+ timing slips riding my turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa. I have visited the Salt Flats twice in the last 2 years. In 2008 I went to Speedweek and in 2009 I went to the BUB event. I plan to ship my bike over to the flats and ride in Speedweek, BUB and World of Speed this year. I have joined the BNI, AMA and the USFRA. I am looking for any help and advice, which anybody is willing to give me, as wel as offering my help to anybody.

The bike is stock bore 1300cc, JE turbo pistons, Carillo rods. More or less standard fairing. Garrett Turbocharger. Lowered Chassis, stock wheelbase, ceramic wheel bearings. Water/Methanol Injection.

I think my class at Speedweek would be 1350cc, Supercharged/Turbocharged, Partially Streamlined, Modified Chassis, Fuel Class. Is that correct?

Do the classes vary with each meetings?

Also looking for any advice on van hire, nearby workshop and storage facilities for between meetings.

Absolutely any advice, about anything which anybody can give me will be most welcome.

Looking forward to talking to you all and hopefully meeting some of you later in the year.

Thanks
Baz

Hello,
My name is....drum roll please.......Michael Lueders.

Who am I ?

Motohead

Photographer

Rocket guy

Cook and honorary crew member car #77- No Nitro Hammond

hmmmn...
After reading some of the other posts I feel I could add more info.
I grew up, partly, in Southern California. We used to play and camp at El Mirage..a lot. Rockets, dirt bikes, car surf etc. Some how I made it to adulthood. On several occasions we watched cars run. I spent a fair bit of time working in cabinet shops and building aircraft components for my dad. He worked with many talented individuals in the aircraft world and I grew up in aviation workshops and at airports. I have always loved racing and speed to the point of one of my sharpest memories is a very stern warning from my dad about my propensity for speed and my ultimate longevity in this world. I loved speed, still do. I have always dreamt of Bonneville and as a kid collected models, posters or whatever regarding the salt flats. To the point of when helping a friend move to Provo from Santa Rosa back in 89 and making him stop the rental truck on the shoulder of HWY 80 so I could fill up a 32 ounce cup with "the world's fastest salt". I rode with that 7-11 cup very near to me all the way back to CA and portions of it sat on my desk until 2002. I would play with it from time to time always dreaming of going fast or being a part of the Bonneville experience- the place of greatness.   

I always have been somewhat active within the motorcycle scene. I used to compete in trials events..truly as far from Bonneville as any motorsports could get.  I also got involved in the local road racing club, the AFM and then off road events. Now bear with me this is going somewhere!  I PROMISE!!

During all of my life my family has been very active in photography and image capture. We ran 16mm and super 8 gun cameras on the wings of planes and "buzzed" the Santa Monica pier on several occasions with my dad. I did still photos and more importantly got into video. I developed early on-board camera systems back in the mid 90's and ran the systems with considerable success. I've had some of my images on national broadcast TV and made the cover of a couple of moto mags with some pics.

Now we tie all the pieces together..told you it was going somewhere!

A friend of mine said there is a lady he thinks I should meet. She like motorcycles and is also single..oh, great a blind date!! Well..we meet and started to hit it off. Our second date was dirt biking where I clearly remember being worried if she could keep up only to have her blow by me when I looked over my shoulder..hmmn this could really work. She did the same thing as Sears Point during a track day a while later. I was passing on the outside of T6 on supermoto going around a couple of liter class sports bikes and around me goes this red blur all the way out in the marbles..holy cow what an amazing pass!!..Then I recognized the lady who had just passed me. I laughed, hooted and hollered so hard I missed the next shift coming out..she was gone. The lady?...Jeannie Pflum.

So to tie it all up..met the love of my life..stumbled into my life long love of Bonneville..get to take tons of cool pics..get to run on-board camera systems and get to launch some cool rockets too. Pinch me!!!

To me Bonneville is not just a flat spot on the Earth, a race venue or the best collection of the coolest people you could ever hope to meet. Yes, it is all that...but to me Bonneville is proof that God wants us all to be happy..all we have to do is follow our dreams and be true to our hearts.

Bonneville is truly a special place to me and I am truly blessed to be able to just hang out with everybody...truly blessed indeed. I say my thank you's every morning!

Sorry for the long post..

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1212 on: March 17, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
Baz, welcome to the LSR site. The first thing we need to know is where is the bike and equipment being shipped to. The 2nd will help you find a rental company or someone to help you get to the salt. Third do you have a place to stay. There are other questions that others will ask. We need as much info  from you so someone on this side of the pond can help you through this process.

Wendover does have some storage but very little in a shop. Ely is 125 miles south east and Salt Lake is about 110 mile east.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #1213 on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
Mike,

Nice addition to your intro.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline vonbondo

• New folks
vonbondo !live from riverside !
« Reply #1214 on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »
hello,my name is frank vonbondo and im an alcoholic !just kidding !ive been lurking about this board and decided to join after talking to a coulple of buds.i am more into the quarter mile kind of racing,but ive been wanting to check out the salt flat racing since i bought my first shop (summers bros ).i had to sell the shop due to the greedyness of my so called partner,but that wont happen again,and also,im  hooking up my machines and making parts.hoping to see you guys on the salt.frank vonbondo.