Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2272951 times)

Offline SHughes

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1170 on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »
I've been lurking around here for a little awhile (trying to learn a few things) and finally decided to make a post.  LOL

I've got a Cummins Turbo Diesel I want to start racing (at Maxton since I live on the right coast).  I blew up the engine drag racing last year, it's getting rebuilt now and I'd like to do something different to try and further diesel motorsports beyond the typical drag racing a sled pulling. 

I'm not sure if the '99 Dodge will get the new engine or if my '56 Chevy truck - prefered- will get i either way I hope to some LSR soon.  If I ever move to AZ (I'm in the military) I would like to do some open road racing with the same truck.

Anyone in the MD, VA, DC area?

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #1171 on: February 16, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
I've been lurking around here for a little awhile (trying to learn a few things) and finally decided to make a post.  LOL

I've got a Cummins Turbo Diesel I want to start racing (at Maxton since I live on the right coast).  I blew up the engine drag racing last year, it's getting rebuilt now and I'd like to do something different to try and further diesel motorsports beyond the typical drag racing a sled pulling. 

I'm not sure if the '99 Dodge will get the new engine or if my '56 Chevy truck - prefered- will get i either way I hope to some LSR soon.  If I ever move to AZ (I'm in the military) I would like to do some open road racing with the same truck.

North Carolina here, and I just joined myself.
I travel to D.C. often to site sight and get away from life.  I mostly stay near Dupont circle when I am there.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #1172 on: February 16, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »

There are a few of us up here.  I am out near leesburg - Couple of guys out near Annapolis. 

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #1173 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
S Hughes,,

Go with the classic 56 Truck

I am in Winston Salem, NC  about 2.5 Hours N of Maxton

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SHughes

• New folks
« Reply #1174 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
S Hughes,,

Go with the classic 56 Truck

I am in Winston Salem, NC  about 2.5 Hours N of Maxton

Charles

That is what I would prefer...money is HUGE deciding factor.  the 99 is a complete truck (could race this year), the 56, not so much.  LOL

Offline CruZer

• New folks
« Reply #1175 on: February 18, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »
CruZer here. I'm new to LSR but have been a hotrodder and a Bonneville fan most of my life. I drive a '34 Ford roadster streetrod and am lucky enough to be helping Bearing Burner and Ridge Runner build a streamliner.
They have introduced me to a bunch of New Englanders who race and I found that amazing. I never knew there was much LSR activity out this way.
Since I'm a rookie here,I'll shut up now and pay attention.

Glenn

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1176 on: February 18, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »
Welcome!  This is a good thread for newcomers to read:  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7503.msg116296.html#msg116296  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline btate

• New folks
« Reply #1177 on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
I've been lurking here for a few years. I finally have a car I want to build for LSR. I was going to build a 69 Camaro I have but it never really seemed quite right. Now I have a 40 Ford Coupe, or at least part of one that I'm trying to resurrect from a house fire. Here's a link to a build thread on the HAMB: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428737. I'm going to build the chassis and see what turns up for a powertrain. Looking at the rule book, I'm thinking I can run CGC or CBGC. Anyway, I have lots of questions and if I have any answers I'll try to help when I can.

Bill

Offline NorthStar Unlimited

• New folks
« Reply #1178 on: February 22, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
Well... I'm here, new to the LSR scene. Kinda been paying a lil attention and reading a bit over the last 20 years. I've been active in the circle track world for about 15 years... just getting to be too much work every week. Got the SCTA-BNI rule book in the mail a few days ago... reading thru it now. If all goes well, I plan on my first Bonneville this August, at least for 2 or 3 days... getting a new business started, so who knows?
~Corey MacQueen~

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #1179 on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »
Hi all, Ken Rappaport here. Been seriously into racing since 1966. Followed exploits of Arfons, Breedlove, Campbell in the 60’s. Been Drag Racing on and off most of my life. Most recently running a Blown FED in the Heritage Series Pro 7.0 class.  Built my first Fuel Flow Bench in 1981 after moving to San Diego. That led to meeting and helping such racers as the Eyres, Jack Dolan-Doc Jeffries, Rick & Nolan White and recently The Spectre AA/BGS. I’m a Mechanical Engineer presently working in Aerospace and also a car builder with a complete Fab Shop that is presently without a home due to a property line issue. Once that gets resolved, if I’m not completely broke, I’ll build my dream shop at my home and finally start on a LSR car. Presently going through withdrawals as I have little room to work and racing is on hold! Can’t wait to share a build diary.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #1180 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:21 PM »
Welcome to the addiction Rckt!  Good luck with the dispute and your build!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

HotRodV8

« Reply #1181 on: February 24, 2010, 02:49:09 PM »
Glad you're here Rckt.

It seems to me that a transition to LSR usually comes from some drag racing in the past. You will fit right in. Plus you will be a resource with an engineering background and that experience with other race teams.

Will look forward to your first LSR car build (your way) and wish you the best.

BTW, as you build that dream fab shop, many of us would like to see some pictures of that build too. See ya on the salt.

Bill

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1182 on: February 24, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
Ken, sent you a PM for your question. We need to talk. I will send another e-mail with phone contacts.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline debgeo

« Reply #1183 on: February 24, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
Hello my name is George and I am looking to build or buy a sidecar. I am interested in meeting people in Denver area to guide or offer info on Bonneville racing. I plan on running lower classes with a two stroke. This is all new to me as I am an ex circle track racer. Midgets & Modifieds. The rules state motorcycle engines . Are ATV motors legal? I have access to many atv two strokes. I know in some instances parts are interchangable with motorcycle engines and vice versa. Also on sidecars what king of small wheels are being used. I have searched forum but have not came up with info. I have been following this site for a while and am learning more everyday.THANKS for this great resource. :-) :-) :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1184 on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
Jom Amo the originator of this web site lives in the DEnver area and races a bike and a car at Bonneville.
Go to the lsr forums on this cover page and click on members. look him up and send him a PM.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah