Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273465 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1155 on: January 31, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »
Kiwi Paul, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of history here. I am a club historian for the Gear Grinders. I have much of the clubs history going back to 1938, still looking for stuff.  There are several people working on the LSR history. There is a lot found and still a lot lost forever. We are always asking for anything LSR. I have been going to Bonneville since 1953 and spent the last 25 years in the timing trailer. We always enjoy the down under mates. Chris Harris e-mail every now and then. Join us on the chat line on Tuesday nights. See cover page to log on.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1156 on: February 01, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
Hey, Kiwi Paul!  Welcome from NoPo!

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1157 on: February 01, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »
Chris,  where do you live?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1158 on: February 01, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
Sparky, Chris is in NZ. If you  want I will PM you his e-mail address
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

mnsledder

« Reply #1159 on: February 12, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »
Hello. Ike from Detroit Lakes, MN. Been running, riding, & racing motorized machines for quite a while. Pretty heavy into snowmobiles, drags & speed runs. I've gotten the itch to run on the salt. I'd like to run a bike. I have an 86 Yamaha Fazer. I've read a lot about the runs but I'd like to get some real world advice. I will order a rule book when the time comes to get serious. I've read about the classes & the rules but was looking for a little clarity. Hoping you guys can help me out. Awesome site & thanks for the space.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1160 on: February 12, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
Howdy - and welcome to the Forum.  What name shall we call you?

As for your question -- go ahead and order your rulebook right now.  That way you'll be able to have it available when you ask a question and one of us tries to help you.  We can tell you something - and tell you to look on page such-and-such for the complete rule.

As for the Fazer (if you're planning on running it) -- the various classes allow no modifications from stock (save for a few safety items), basically stock bodywork and frame but much more in the way of engine changes and stuff like that, or darned near anything goes (in the "Altered" a/k/a "Special Construction" class.  The engine size determines which engine class you're in, simply put.  And then you decide if you're going to run in "gas" class, which means on fuel you buy at the event, or fuel class -- which allows you to use anything, from somebody else's (other than ERC, the event fuel vendor) stuff to bug juice to nitrous oxide - and so on.

Think of the class designations as a good effort to make sure you're running against other bikes that are pretty close to yours in modifications and engine size.  Potentials are something else, of course.  And finally -- you must consider, when choosing classes, that you must build to the speed of the record in your chosen class.  Mostly this affects safety items - but might include other stuff.  You'll have to ask on this one - but if you say "The record in my class is xxx, but there's no way I'll go that fast - I just want to get a taste of the speed" -- no, it doesn't work that way.  You must, I say again, build as if you were a legitimate contender for the record in your class.

Okay - get your rulebook on the way and ask away.

Regards,

Jon, owner of landracing.com, also known as Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

mnsledder

« Reply #1161 on: February 12, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
Thanks Jon. You can call me Ike (been called worse!) I will order a new rule book, are the 2010's available yet? Once I get one, I will study up. Forgive me if I ask dumb questions, I try to be well informed before I attempt something. As for being serious about a class, I always aim high.

Thanks again

Offline willieworld

« Reply #1162 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »
slim there is no altered motorcycle class ---just try to think of A  as Allowed--Allowed to do Almost Anything      LOOOOLLLLLLLLL      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1163 on: February 12, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »
Maybe there's no altered class -- but my nitrous bike with the AirTech bodywork is entered in what I called Altered -- and the SCTA didn't return my entries with a "no such class" mark on 'em.  But -- I see your point, don't worry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #1164 on: February 15, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
Hello from North Carolina.

Plan to make it out west and meet the salt for the first time.  Building a 650cc twin, 50cc single and if time permits a a 175cc twin.  As for now, the focus is getting the twin 650 buttoned up and bullet proof.

Any links/read ups/ I need to know about?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1165 on: February 15, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »
First, second and third -- get a couple of SCTA 2010 rulebooks.  One for the lounge chair, one fore the back of the toilet, one for the shop.

Second -- read them and plan on visiting Bonneville this SpeedWeek.  Best NOT to run the first time -- you'll miss more than if you're just there to learn what others do.  If you do run -- go have a ball, go back home and read the rulebooks again.

Those are the first tips I'll hand out -- others will chip in with their nickle's worth any time now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #1166 on: February 15, 2010, 09:22:43 PM »
First, second and third -- get a couple of SCTA 2010 rulebooks.  One for the lounge chair, one fore the back of the toilet, one for the shop.

Second -- read them and plan on visiting Bonneville this SpeedWeek.  Best NOT to run the first time -- you'll miss more than if you're just there to learn what others do.  If you do run -- go have a ball, go back home and read the rulebooks again.

Those are the first tips I'll hand out -- others will chip in with their nickle's worth any time now.

Rule books incoming!

I've been around racing along time per se - worked on IRL / F1 cars, raced vintage BMW's and VW's in SCCA, VCCA and BMWCCA and have been around AHRMA road racing.  Its cool to see stuff and take pictures but damn does it make me want to get out there even more!

Misguided on where to start and what to do next - been told a lot of different things!  Would like to do the mirage event first and get some runs / experience under me for the speedweek!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1167 on: February 15, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
I would think that Maxton would be the place to start. Sure is closer then El Mirage. But to run at El Mirage as a guest is a long way to go for 1 0r 2 runs. Running as a club member requires that you join a club to run for points and records. The Dirt is a lot different then the salt. I am sure some other racers will jump in here for more guidence to the difference to the venues. Good luck what ever you decide.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #1168 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
holdfastgreg,   welcome,,, I am close by...in Midway (Between Winston Salem and Lexigton, just above Welcome)...

Maxton is a good place to start,,, less than 2.5 hours from here.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline holdfastgreg

• Vintage Iron Works
« Reply #1169 on: February 15, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
holdfastgreg,   welcome,,, I am close by...in Midway (Between Winston Salem and Lexigton, just above Welcome)...

Maxton is a good place to start,,, less than 2.5 hours from here.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Charles

I'm sure I could use your help!  I'd like to check out maxton, didn't know anything about it!  I'm familiar with Midway, been through there a bunch.  I live smack dap downtown Greensboro.  Good to meet people in the area who have the same interest.