Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275187 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1110 on: January 10, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »
Welcome, always good to see more bike guys & gals. Lots of good info. As far as traction goes. depends. See how helpful we are!! :evil:
Seriously, Sometimes it is almost no slippage sometimes a lot. Weight is your friend at Bonneville.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1111 on: January 10, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »
Brian, welcome to the site. You might look into the North West Bonneville racers banquet on Feb. 13 - 10. It's in Portland and a great party. It's all LSR. The information is on the cover page of this great web site.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1112 on: January 10, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
Brian, slip is very hard to predict, a lot of it is rider control.  We generally see 5-7% slip on the top end with the bike according to calculations.  The more you spin, the hotter the tire gets and more prone to failure and chunking. 
Have seen 17% when a rider was learning....  :| 
A lot of tires have not lived through a 200 MPH run and then again I've see a tire that went 272 that still looked like new.   8-)

Welcome and good luck with your adventure
I think Jason McVicar lives in your neck of the woods, you should look him up.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline *RP*

• New folks
« Reply #1113 on: January 11, 2010, 06:02:35 AM »
RP:

Welcome (back).  I missed you and the team this past summer -- but hope you'll be back soon anyway.  Maxton is only a few months from now and is a great tune-up, remember.  What's goinng on with the MV team?  Are you still with them?

I still tell folks how the cooked-to-order breakfasts at your Bville pit are the best way to start the morning (well, except for maybe a meal at the Red Flame). 

Don't be a stranger now that you're back here.  Best wishes.

Hey Slim,
Nothing firm on plans for the MV team that I know of other than Ken stepped down from the Crew Chief position and the team.  Roosevelt will probably ride the MV at the BUB meet and for sure ride the British Only Triumph at Speedweek. Ken and I are tweeking on the Triumph to make sure it is still legal in Modified.  There have been a lot of rule changes the last few years that effected us.

Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

sqrly

« Reply #1114 on: January 11, 2010, 11:38:32 AM »
I fell out of the tree and landed here!  Looking around a bit, it seems nice and friendly, just like the rest of the motorcycle world.

I spectated at BUB for a few hours in Sept. 09, and I am going to try to get a bike ready for Bonneville this year.
I do have a couple questions that I have searched for but haven't found a solid answer.

I am interested in ether Speed Week, or BUB.  How can I get the most runs per dollar?  Like at bub, I see the "run what you brung" is $250 for a T-shirt and 2 timed runs.  If I enter a class for $400 (I think) is that per day or the whole meet?  If it is per day, how many runs could I expect to run?

The other thing I was wondering is leathers.  I have a brand new 1pc Vanson, that I bought for road racing effort that has been cut short due to a severe leg injury.  The problem is that it is full perf, and has Kevlar stretch panels on the inside of the arms, legs and crotch.  I see that will not pass tech for Speed Week but may for BUB.  Can I wear a simple leather jacket and pants over the race leathers?  I have $1400 invested in my suit and I would like to get some use out of it.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1115 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »
The subject is pretty-well discussed on this Forum -- so you might try searching using the built-in device.  In the meantime -- think of 5 - 10% loss.  You'll be in the right neighborhood.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #1116 on: January 11, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
sqrly, the # of passes at Speedweek is probably, virtually unlimited on the short courses if they have two short courses like we have the last two years. If you qualify for the long course you can get two runs a day usually.
As for your leathers Vanson could fix them to meet our rules. I have 30 yr old Vanson leathers and the altered them to fit my current "profile". :-D

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1117 on: January 11, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
Fred did they add spandex. :roll:
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #1118 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »
Lotsa bull!!! :wink:

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline dinotheweirdo

• New folks
« Reply #1119 on: January 13, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
Hey Guys ...Dino here (Former Announcer At Dover Drag Strip-Wingdale,N.Y.).....always looking for old Dover Guys ,Cars & History. See our Tribute Site  at www.doverdragstrip.com
 Almost 700 Dover veterans on forum and we have saved over 3500 photos .

sqrly

« Reply #1120 on: January 13, 2010, 02:41:43 PM »
Fred Vance, My Vanson is perfed from the neck to just above the knees.  Thats why I was thinking a set of welding leathers over top of my Vanson.

I did happen to find the answer to the class entry vs Run what you Brung.  It was in the most obvious place (on the front page), instead of hidden within the rules (where I was looking).

If I read your post right, I think your hinting that SW offers more chances to run in a meet that BUB due to the extra corse.  That is good info, I will check it out. Thanks!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1121 on: January 13, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
It's  also a 7 day meet.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

sqrly

« Reply #1122 on: January 14, 2010, 12:00:01 PM »
Since I do most of my riding and events solo, how many crew members should I have along when running a self starting sit on bike?  I an thinking at least one, but two with a second vehicle and two crew would be best.  Sound about right?

Also, if I enter two bikes, can I have a crew member wait in line with one bike while I run the other?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1123 on: January 14, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »
Different events have different rules -- which one are you talking about?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

sqrly

« Reply #1124 on: January 14, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
Different events have different rules -- which one are you talking about?

Speed Week and BUB.