Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267244 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1080 on: December 28, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »
Kristian, what part of Sweden are you in?  That looks like chinese writing on that car door.  Welcome to the site.

Offline khracing

• New folks
« Reply #1081 on: December 28, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »
Kristian, what part of Sweden are you in?  That looks like chinese writing on that car door.  Welcome to the site.

Its Japanese :-) It says, "Fujiwara Tofu Shop (private vehicle)

from the japanese anime - InitialD
 the car is my old driftcar, an Corolla AE86

I+m from the southern most parts om the countrĂ½, 90kms north of Malmoe

Offline 2006superglide

• New folks
« Reply #1082 on: January 01, 2010, 12:05:42 AM »
Hi, My names Rich, have been riding bikes most of my life. And then a movie came out, Worlds fastest Indian. And guess what, I had to go to the salt. I'll back up a bit. When I was a kid, my heros were and still are, Steve McQueen, Malcom Smith, Mickey Thompson, John Wayne. Well anyway, I thought the Challenger with the pontiac motors was the coolest thing on wheels. I had started to dream about going out to the salt, well, some time passed, I moved to oregon, met a pretty young gal, started a family, and my dream got lost. I rode dirt bikes every where I could, had a R C engineering built 900 kawi, with a 1015 kit, drag raced that for awhile, built choppers in the 70's and thru the 80's. Had a dozen or so Triumphs, those were fun. Needless to say bikes are in my blood. So, I am going out to Bub speed trials 2010, with my 2006 superglide, in what a believe is the PPG class, any one can correct me if that is the wrong class, as I'm new to all of this. But anyway, I'm really looking forward to being out there. Went on a ride with some friends in 08, the week after Speed week, and the week before the BUB speed trials, took my 2006 superglide out on the salt, couldn't find the courses, that's a big place out there. Any way, I got the superglide up to 115mph in 4th gear, what a rush. Learned some valuable things that day. First make sure the helmet visor is tight, second, it was so brite out there, my sun glasses weren't dark enough, I couldn't see, it was brighter than any snow I have been in. Well, I'd like to hear from anyone, about the salt. Later Rich

Offline thesaltydawg

• New folks
  • Union Jack Speed Co.
« Reply #1083 on: January 03, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
I am a Trump guy Buzz...twins..I am into all twins, Brit and Jap....It would be nice to put a Brit bike down road but you can't beat that Jap engineering (and aquisition of used parts)!! :mrgreen:
Union Jack Speed Co.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #1084 on: January 03, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
I am a Trump guy Buzz...twins..I am into all twins, Brit and Jap....It would be nice to put a Brit bike down road but you can't beat that Jap engineering (and aquisition of used parts)!! :mrgreen:

Triumphs are great.  I grew up on Cubs and Bonneville's.  I've been running Kawasaki bikes for about 20 years but lately have been thinking about building a Triumph for LSR.

I look through all the on-line classified sites pretty often so If I run into a screaming deal on a thumpher I'll let you know.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Heath Hamilton

• New folks
First post....hello hello.
« Reply #1085 on: January 04, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
Hi all.

First post here.

My name is Heath Hamilton.  From Chicago.

I have zero experience with LSR, don't own a race car, etc.  In fact I'm a complete rookie when it comes to anything having to do with the Flats.  But I'm enamored with them.  I'm an Indy Car guy admittedly.  But a couple of months ago I had this crazy dream, where I was speeding across the Flats at night on a motorcycle, it was pitch black, except for some kind of fire in the far off distance, and I knew that if I kept riding towards it I'd be ok.  Anyway, it was kind of a "If you build it, they will come" moment.  Since then I've been drawn to the place and will be making my first visit during Speed Week in August, which funny enough is on my birthday (8/16).

Hope to meet some of you there.  Maybe by then I'll have this crazy bike I dreamt of?  LOL!

Heath

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1086 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
Welcome to the site Heath, man are you in trouble, you are dreaming about Bonneville and you have never been there :-). Sounds like you need a busa and call it HHH racing. Heath Hamiltons Hayabusa. :cheers:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1087 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
Howdy, Heath.  Welcome to the site and the Forum.  Hey -- if you're going to be at SpeedWeek this year (got room reservations yet -- or are you camping) -- we'll schedule a huge party the day before your birthday.  Sunday night, at the Bend in the Road, we'll have a burgers and hot dogs cookout for about 300 -- and it'll all be just to celebrate your birth.

Well, not really -- that's the picnic we call "Salt Talks" and it's a yearly event -- but if you want to think it's for your birthday -- great.  Do plan to be there -- it's the biggest gathering of racers and crews and spectators and event workers at SpeedWeek, so you'll be able to meet and shoot the breeze with all sorts of people -- including Nancy and me.  Plan to buy a t-shirt there, too -- we get special ones made up for Salt Talks.

C U then.  Be active on this Forum, too, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1088 on: January 04, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »
Heath, welcome to the forum. As it gets close to speed week there will be a lot of postings on what you need to take with you. It's called survival on the salt. It's hard to rent a car in SLC so you might consider driving and there again there will be a lot you need to know about how to get the vehicle ready and clean it when done. Keep checking in.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Heath Hamilton

• New folks
« Reply #1089 on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses!  I haven't even looked in to hotels or anything yet.  Is there a specific place that all the teams stay? The cookout sounds like a great time.  Are most of the people that participate a friendly bunch?  f

I'm pretty excited about my first trip to the salt.    I dunno about the 'busa.  I think I'm more of a v-twin guy.  

I've got a bone stock 1971 International pickup, 60K original miles..  Maybe I'll bring it....slowest land speed record for a production truck. LOL!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #1090 on: January 04, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
Heath, you will not find a friendlier, more helpful bunch of people anywhere in the world! Scan the board, post your questions and be as prepared as you can. You will find undoubtedly that you will forget something or run into something you didn't plan for. People on the salt from the drivers, to the crews to the officials will help you out however they can to get you running. It is something you have to experience to really appreciate, the people you meet at Bonneville are truly the salt of the Earth! (pun intended)
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Heath Hamilton

• New folks
« Reply #1091 on: January 04, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
So awesome......

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1092 on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
All the teams stay - - any danged place they can find a place to unroll the sleeping bag.  All of the commercial lodging rooms -- from dumpy to top-shelf -- will be rented at premium rates and darned near every one will be sold.  A very popular place is to camp at The Bend in the Road.  It's BLM land and there are no fees - and no amenities.  In the past few years we've provided porta-potties, at least, and there's a truckstop with showers and a fine dining place (the Salt Flats cafe, a Mexican eatery where you'll find loads of racers most any time of day).  Back to BiR -- limitless camping -- thousands of folks could stay there without getting it overcrowded.  It's first-come, first taken, so be ready to stay hundreds of yards away from the "center" of the action.  There's no action except lots of friendly sharing of stories, sometimes food, and occasional loud noises.  It's on the entry road to the Salt Flats from the Interstate -- at the only turn in the five mile long road, ergo it's the "bend in the road".

As for the people that participate at Salt Talks -- well, as one of the two "hosts" (Nancy, my wife, is the other host(ess)) -- I think everyone's pretty friendly.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online salt27

« Reply #1093 on: January 04, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
Heath,
This may have been the fire off in the distance you spoke of in your dream.
A common sight at the Bend.

Don

Offline dw230

« Reply #1094 on: January 04, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
"...we'll schedule a huge party the day before your birthday."

May be the day before his birthday but it will be mine.

DW 
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth