Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267138 times)

kso4

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1020 on: November 26, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »
Whew... :-)

Newbie here with almost no actual experience in LSR cars.  Mainly interested in chassis/suspension stuff, not really an engine-builder or driver tho' I can do it.  Don't douse!  Was a canyon racer for years in the L.A. area when I was a kid and have a drag/street car now which rarely gets out.

49 y.o., married w/ daughters, San Diego area.

Am building a '49 Crosley for El Mirage with a friend in the SDRC, slowly.  There looks to be a great deal of info, talent and experience around here and I'll be busy looking it over.  Thanks in advance.

Loren

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1021 on: November 26, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Okay, I'll bite -- are you the 4th member of the Kansas Symphony Orchestra -- or a chemist that likes potassium sulphate?  Whichever -- or maybe neither -- welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for the introduction -- and we all hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ronwoo

• New folks
« Reply #1022 on: November 28, 2009, 12:17:28 AM »
Hi, I'm Ralph Hudson, my first trip to Bonneville was 1971. Got three records on a '69 Kawasaki 3 cylinder 500 and thought "This is cool!" Went back three years in a row and go nothin', finally got another record or two with a Suzuki 500 twin in '75 (think that was the year), about 144 mph. But, I learned there was a 200 mph Club and wanted to join it. I read a magazine article about aerodynamics in the mid 70's and realized that everything I thought about streamlining was wrong. I've been thinking about building a fairing to try for 200 for about 35 years, and talked about it with anybody who was interested. Finally decided that since I wasn't getting any younger and I better try before I was too old to ride it! I kind of built the fairing of my dreams (a few compromises), put it on a 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and went to Bonneville this year and got my red hat!!! Stock engine with a slippery shape = 210.6 mph. It was great to be back after all those years, planning for next year now. Not sure what to do next, but I'll be back!
In real life, I build museum exhibits, parade floats for Disney and oddball stuff that contractors don't do. I also build and roadrace vintage bikes with the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association (AHRMA), mostly two strokes (my first love). The stable includes a 500 Suzuki twin, Yamaha TD3 250 twin, Bultaco 175 single and a Honda 160 twin. Keeping the old stuff running is almost a full time job.
I have lurked at Landracing.com a few times, enjoy the insights and information that people are willing to share.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1023 on: November 28, 2009, 12:30:38 AM »
Nice looking bodywork Ralph. Welcome to the site. Hope you stick around and participate. It looks like you have a fair handle on aerodynamics which could help some others.

Pete

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1024 on: November 28, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
Welcome Ralph, always good to have new bike guys. That is a really nice looking bike and I'd say it works pretty good. :cheers:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Freud

« Reply #1025 on: November 28, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
Absolutely brilliant foto. Congratulations to the shooter.

It was a good subject also. That helps.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1026 on: November 28, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »
Yes, I agree with Freud -- a great photograph.  And the body is very nice to see -- well-shaped to fit both the rider's body and the rules.

Speaking of the rules -- the body-shape change ruls for '10 -- they'll still allow this body in altered class right?  I would like some confirmation on this.  If I don't get what I need to hear (in the way of "yes" or "no" - I'll query via the SCTA rule-question routine.  But first -- will this be okay in '10?  Will Joe Amo's bodywork be allowed in '10?  Thanks - -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #1027 on: November 28, 2009, 12:22:02 PM »
Hello,

My Name is Mike and I am from Mass. I am in the process of building a V4F GL belly tank. I hope to have it done for the up coming speed week at Bonneville. I have a few sepecialized questions that I hope I can get answered through the vast amount of knowlage on this board. Thanks for having me!

Mike
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline ronwoo

• New folks
« Reply #1028 on: November 28, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »
Yes, I agree with Freud -- a great photograph.  And the body is very nice to see -- well-shaped to fit both the rider's body and the rules.

Speaking of the rules -- the body-shape change ruls for '10 -- they'll still allow this body in altered class right?  I would like some confirmation on this.  If I don't get what I need to hear (in the way of "yes" or "no" - I'll query via the SCTA rule-question routine.  But first -- will this be okay in '10?  Will Joe Amo's bodywork be allowed in '10?  Thanks - -

I don't know about next years rules. Hope they don't change significantly. One of the inspectors asked if they could use a picture of this bike in the rule book as an example of an APS bike, so I'm guessing it will still be legal. The picture in the '09 rule book shows a bike with a fairing that covers the riders elbows, that wouldn't have been legal in '09, but it was a good picture. The shot of my bike on the salt was taken by Scott Soto. He was a little hard to get a hold of, but finally came through and provided two very good shots for me. What aspect of Joe Amo's fairing do you think would be in question?
Thanks, Ralph

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1029 on: November 28, 2009, 10:48:35 PM »
Hello,

My Name is Mike and I am from Mass. I am in the process of building a V4F GL belly tank. I hope to have it done for the up coming speed week at Bonneville. I have a few sepecialized questions that I hope I can get answered through the vast amount of knowlage on this board. Thanks for having me!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Welcome aboard.

Rob
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline mcintyreracing

• New folks
« Reply #1030 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
Hi I'm Kevin. I've never been around land speed racing but have spent my lifetime around oval track and drag racing. I'm really hoping to start a project soon! I would like to use an asphalt latemodel but not sure what classes there are yet.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1031 on: December 03, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
First welcome to the LSR forum. 2nd where do you live, 3rd where do you plan to run Maxton, Loring, Texas Mile, El Mirage or Bonneville. They are all different and require different things depending on what you want to do. You need to get a rule book for a start. The cover page of this web gives the contact information for each assoc. SCTA and USFRA use the same rule book and ECTA has their own but is almost the same as SCTA. Good luck on what you decide.It's a great sport.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:14:04 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mcintyreracing

• New folks
« Reply #1032 on: December 03, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
I'm in central Texas, I'd like to run the Texas mile as well as bonneville. I'm going to get rule books coming. I would love to be able to run the car but just not sure if there will be a class for me?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1033 on: December 03, 2009, 03:31:59 PM »
There should be a class for you also the USFRA has 130 and 150 MPH classes and is a good place to start on the salt. They have some lesser rules for those classes. They are on the cover page. Log on and see what they have.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #1034 on: December 05, 2009, 10:26:43 AM »
OK, I'm back. I have been asked to rejoin the board.

I will try to answer questions or clarify any items I can.

I do have a favor. I am looking for the ariel view of the salt, first posted by Rick Byrnes I think.

Thanks in advance. I am glad to be able to participate once again.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth