Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267309 times)

Moonshiner

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #960 on: October 22, 2009, 11:04:51 PM »
Dang, Keith, it sounds like you've led a life of straight and narrow - and are now thinking of going over to the dark side.  Watch yourself carefully -- many of us hee have suffered from the dream of wanting to run the Salt flat out - and it can be a very unh, mmm, addictive dream to follow!

Welcome.  When will you visit us at Maxton, NC -- which is probably a heck of a lot shorter trip from home for you, and would let you visit with a bunch of your fellow addicts?

sure thing slim , me and the wife will jump on the old gold wing and drop by sometime , hang out and chat ,riding through the mountains is a regular event for us and we end up in North Carolina a lot riding the dragon  , my build may take a while to complete unless i can find  sponsors or hit the lottery ..lol , but i will get there one day , i promise ...

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #961 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »
Welcome aboard bbarn. You've got it for sure. The explanation was great.

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »
Rodracer, I just read your post about steering lock angle.  This is something I have personal experience with.  I built a set of triple clamps and they had limited steering angle between the stops.  I was a lot of work to install them, so I decided to make a short test ride.  Then I would take them off and increase steering lock, polish them, and fix other problems.   

At slow speed, just out of the driveway, the bike leaned a bit and I steered to the inside of the turn to keep the bike upright.  I could not steer into the turn enough to keep it balanced.  I gave it throttle to straighten it out, shot across the street, over a sidewalk, and into a yard.  Lucky me.  No cars were driving down the street.  This seemed to be a low speed problem, only. 

Limited steering lock will work, but it is a good idea to be real careful at first.   

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »
Now you've discovered a good reason to have the sterring stops adjustable.  We've drilled and tapped the tabs, then put in a screw with locknuts.  Back them out for street and pit, move 'em in for track.  I've tipped over in the poits when forgetting that I've got the stops set for very little turn --  worse still, it was at the fuel truck at Maxton and everyone saw me fall over. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Deux

« Reply #964 on: October 27, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
Hello all, New guy from Houston Texas. I'm Prof_formula1's son and ride an EX-500 track bike and helping to build a lakester (follow the build here: http://teampandemic.blogspot.com/ ). Will probably be bringing the EX to Bonneville with us when we go so we can attempt to join the 130mph club, I think our time line is set for next year but we'll see how it all goes. Currently we are still engineering and fabricating the frame ( I love welding upside down :-D)

Offline rodracer

• New folks
« Reply #965 on: October 28, 2009, 06:17:12 AM »
Rodracer, I just read your post about steering lock angle.  This is something I have personal experience with.  I built a set of triple clamps and they had limited steering angle between the stops.  I was a lot of work to install them, so I decided to make a short test ride.  Then I would take them off and increase steering lock, polish them, and fix other problems.   

At slow speed, just out of the driveway, the bike leaned a bit and I steered to the inside of the turn to keep the bike upright.  I could not steer into the turn enough to keep it balanced.  I gave it throttle to straighten it out, shot across the street, over a sidewalk, and into a yard.  Lucky me.  No cars were driving down the street.  This seemed to be a low speed problem, only. 

Limited steering lock will work, but it is a good idea to be real careful at first.   

Hiya WW, thanks for taking the time to consider my question  :-)

The design of my bike is such that the front wheel will be enclosed as part of the body fairing, therefore in the interest of minimising frontal area, I would like to run with as little steering lock as possible.
The bike will only ever be used for straightline, high speed runs on wide open airstrips & will be physically lifted & turned/positioned as required. So the low speed handling should be manageable (if a little scary) provided the bike is pointing in the right direction & the power level at low speed is adequate to the gearing.

My main concern is steering the bike at speed when opposite input into the steering may be required to keep the machine in line, i.e. if the bike is drifting left at speed & I need to adjust my weight to the right & input opposite steer to the left in order to strighten her out.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the range of steering angle that could potentially be required & the influence that speed will have on the requirement?

I like Slims idea re adjustable steering lock & will try & implement that, however I still need to establish the range of adjustment that may be required.

Any viewpoint will be most welcome.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #966 on: October 28, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
Watch what you're building meets the rules. This is sounding very much like a dustbin fairing which is illegal in SCTA and may be in some of the other associations because of its susceptibility to crosswinds.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #967 on: October 28, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
rodracer, consider SCTA rule 7.B.4 -- even though it doesn't specifically relate to your idea of pointing the bike where you want it to head BEFORE you begin to move.  That is,  "...an entrant may be required to demonstrate low speed handling and stability...".

I know I've taken the quote out of context -- but you sound like you might run afoul of the rule, so I thought it worth mentioning.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #968 on: October 29, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. attended the ECTA event this last weekend was impressed with how helpful everybody there was. currently in the final stages of building a MG Midget to run in modified sports at Maxton and hopefully on the salt.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #969 on: October 30, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »
Welcome aboard!  All the best in getting the build completed.

Nice to meet you at Maxton, looking forward to seeing you again in April.

Take care,

Ed Purinton

gaffers

« Reply #970 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
Hi all new to forum as of today  :-D got a keen interest to build a lsr, based in the Uk so not sure if we have any events for lsr cars? here but time will tell  :wink:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #971 on: November 01, 2009, 04:59:42 PM »
Gaffers, there aren't any LSR venues in the UK, as far as I know, but there's certainly no lack of interest.  A good number of your countrymen visit the US each year to attend events at Bonneville or Maxton or even El Mirage -- so you'll have folks in the relatively near area with whom to chat and query when you've got ideas that need bashing.

Welcome to the Forum.  I hope you stick around and become yet another of the regulars.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Michael Goni

• New folks
    • My blog
« Reply #972 on: November 02, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
Hello all.

Ive been a major lurker on here and figured I might as well contribute here and there.  I ride Pushrod Tom's turbo, nitrous #9543 BSA at Maxton and Loring.

Offline rodracer

• New folks
« Reply #973 on: November 02, 2009, 10:37:46 AM »
Watch what you're building meets the rules. This is sounding very much like a dustbin fairing which is illegal in SCTA and may be in some of the other associations because of its susceptibility to crosswinds.

Pete

Thanks for that info Pete, it's what I was afraid of!

In the past our 'British' records were regulated by the ACU (Autocycle Union) on behalf of the FIM. I have heard recently that the FIM have adopted the SCTA regs but I am struggling to verify if this is fact. Does anyone know the status on this matter? The record I want to attempt is the 'flying km'.

Under the ACU rules for the 'unlimited' class, practically the only rules were 2 wheels & wheel driven with no more than a 5mph wind in any direction.

If I can't use full enclosure it blows a years aero development out the window.  :-(

I ordered a rulebook from the SCTA but we have a postal strike on the go over here so I'm waiting patiently for them to arrive, would you be so kind as to tell me what the ruling is regrding full enclosure?

Paul.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #974 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
Here's FIM Charlie's email address (from my file -- hope it's still correct).  If you ask him you'll get the most correct-est possible information on FIM rules -- he's the FIM steward that attends FIM record attempts.  His name is Charles Hennekam.

cti@fim.ch
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com