Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2272936 times)

Offline coloradodave

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #900 on: September 07, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Hello all of my new Landracing Friends, my name is Dave and I am new to the sport and very excited. I went to Speed Week last year for the first time to help on my fathers 500cc a/pg motorcycle, this year we went together and he allowed me to take my rookie runs on Wed. We are now building a second bike and will be running against 4 records next year if everything works out. I just have to say that this forum is wonderful, I sat back and watched for the last year and am very happy to be a part of this sport, it's a dream come true.
No regrets

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #901 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »
Dave, welcome to the world of LSR. By the way, salt fever requires a yearly fix, So put it on the calendar so you won't miss it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline rschilp

• New folks
« Reply #902 on: September 09, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
Hi guys, my name is Rob, brand new to land racing, not new to fast and custom cars.

Planned a trip to Bonneville this year, but a long awaited family expansion put a hold on that.

Would like to get in contact with a team from the Dallas Fort Worth, TX area and maybe offer my services.. anyone going to the Texas mile?

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #903 on: September 09, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
Hi everyone...I'm Lynn and I've been a gearheadaholic since youth, which was a long time ago. I've been involved in the past mostly with circle track racing, but have loved cars in general and "hot rods" for 40+ years and am now 57. I'm once again thinking of building a Bonneville car. The thought has been surfacing with more regularity for a few years now. I'm a fabricator/welder and just generally enjoy building things. A LSR car seems like a good way to be involved with a form of racing without the weekly thrashing that's too often involved with other racing. My wonderful wife has signed off on the concept and somewhat of a budget. My goal would be to build a car, that hopefully wouldn't run so far off the record to be an embarrasment to me, just to get started. Right now I'm considering the modifed roadster class, either front or rear engine but don't know which, and maybe the G engine class.

I'm located in Southeast Missouri and haven't had the opportunity to attend Bonneville. For now I'll just be reading and learning but someday maybe I'll be able to contribute positively in some way.

Lynn

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #904 on: September 09, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
Lynn, welcome to LSR. New people are always going into a new venture that will get you hooked and a bad case of salt fever in a hurry. The modified roadster is a great class and has many options of choice. My 1st ride on the salt was a coupe and the most remembered ride was in 1957 in a rear engine modified roadster.
They are still my favorite car. What ever you decide pour you heart in it and ask a lot of questions during your build.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:11:40 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline lake_harley

• New folks
« Reply #905 on: September 11, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I told a long-time circle track racer and good friend of my intent last evening. His first comment was "read the rule book!". He has more than a passing interest and knowledge of most forms of racing and may be a source of some help. I bought a 2006 rule book and have been studying it, but no doubt need to get a current one. I guess at this point I'll check when 2010 books are going to be out and get the most current one available.

My interest is in the G or H engine class modified roadster. If I read correctly, any engine class above that requires a larger tube diameter for roll cage construction, so figured I'd build a car with the option of going up in class.

Thanks too, for the suggestion I ask a lot of questions. I doubt that will be a problem since I'll have more than my share to ask!

Lynn

Offline jdeleon

• DELEON AUTO ACCESSORIES
« Reply #906 on: September 17, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »
Hello all.
 Name is Javier DeLeon. 
Bonneville is kinda a bucket list sorta deal for me. Always wanted to go but never made a good enough excuse to do it. 
 Been involved in auto racing all my life, make a living building race motors and fabrication, work with my brother Joel, which takes care of the speed shop end of our business.  Been doing this since the early seventies. 
 We are both interested in getting involved in a lsc project.   We live in McAllen, Texas ( about as south as you can get)  Have shop space, full engine building machine shop, flowbench, engine dyno, rear wheel dyno, 4 axis cnc, tig welders, and some sheet metal tools.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #907 on: September 17, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »
 :cheers: Howdy!  Welcome to landracing.com   Check out SSS's reporting on the World of Speed at the salt flats rite now!   You'll be bit, and stuck for life,,,,,,,it happens that way.....     Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Theboomanchu

« Reply #908 on: September 22, 2009, 12:32:39 AM »
Hi all,
     I have already posted, but thought an introduction would be in order.  The name I generally go by is "Boo", but as you can tell by my username, there are variations of that.  My real name is Stuart and I am a brother of Stacey, who worked very hard and diligently on the body work of Joe Amos recent record holding 1000 cc Kawasaki.  WAY TO GO, JOE!  I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and currently work in the Heavy Equipment industry.
     Until recently, I pulled wrenches my entire life (from Briggs and Stratton's to cars to Harley-Davidson's), but got really burnt out on doing what I at one time enjoyed, for bosses who didn't appreciate my capabilities, just to try to make ends meet.  My real expertise lies in mechanical things of any type.  This is a God-Given ability I have, to be able to take ANYTHING apart, figure out how it works, and put it back together as good as new and sometimes even better than new.
     I have never been to the salt flats or any other LSR "track", but after hearing about, and seeing how truely passionate my brother has become about being part of Joe's team and the whole LSR community, combined with my love for mechanical things, I plan on building up some vacation time, putting a bit of money aside, and trying to make it out to the flats to help Joe or Stacey (when he gets his up and running) as soon as I can.
     Who knows, I may even like it so much, I'll turn my '67 VW beetle into a LSR machine!

Boo

Offline thechevytruckdude

• New folks
« Reply #909 on: September 22, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »
Hello everyone, My name is Mike. I live in the Minneapolis/StPaul mn area. My friends and I drove the 1600 miles to Bonneville and raced the 130 club with our daily drivers. I ran a retired 9c1 with a few mods (T474). One friend had a 87 monte carlo (T30) and the other friend was rockin a 71 chev c10 (T13). Almost made it (127.6 mph best run). From the experiance I can say I am hooked. I will return next year for sure and tr to make the club. We found the general atmosphere was awsome, everyone is friendly and helpfull. It was a blast. MJ

Offline mayner

• New folks
  • On The Salt
« Reply #910 on: September 22, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
Howdy!

I was out at the BUB Speedtrials a couple of weeks ago supporting the BUB #7 'liner. My longtime bud Jeff Boyle of Future Tech is the electrician on the team. My friend Gary and I ran out there from Ventura, CA on our bikes and stayed at the KOA Campground in West Wendover. Had a great time though my iPhone didn't like the get-off on the access road at 70.   :-(

Been following the thread for the Shootout along with everyone else.

Great stuff!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #911 on: September 22, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
"I ran a retired 9c1 with a few mods (T474). "

Huh?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #912 on: September 22, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
"I ran a retired 9c1 with a few mods (T474). "

Huh?

9C1 is Chevrolet's Special Equipment Options (SEO) code for a police package vehicle.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline thechevytruckdude

• New folks
« Reply #913 on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
9c1 is the option code for the police special equipment on the caprice/impala platform. I should have just said a caprice but everyone at wos knew it was a retired squad car lol.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #914 on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:55 PM »
Looking at a 9c1 probably gave them a clue.

As probably would looking at a T474.  I tried that Aussie dictionery and it didn't help.  You're now on a site with some clueless od fart*s.  Please act accordingly.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records