Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267116 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3855 on: August 15, 2020, 10:49:04 PM »
HJ, you must know there are many ways to compete on the salt... Have you considered WoS 130 or 150 clubs... Yes I know they cancelled this year, but any path you take will take some time.
Good luck on your quest... welcome to the affliction  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Hemi Joel

• New folks
« Reply #3856 on: August 15, 2020, 11:37:51 PM »
Stainless, Thanks for the reply. I see the WOS part of the forum, but I have not yet found a description of exactly what it is. Is there a place that gives a basic description?

Offline salt27

« Reply #3857 on: August 16, 2020, 12:16:36 AM »
Joel, go to the home page of landracing.com, on the left side there are links.

Click on USFRA.

That will get you where you need to be for info on the 130 and 150 club.

It sounds like you may already have a car for that with maybe a gear change.

Welcome aboard, Don

Offline KYWes

• New folks
Introducing self
« Reply #3858 on: August 16, 2020, 08:09:19 AM »
Greetings, retired old guy here. Joined up hoping to find an answer to a question that's been on my mind for many years. I will post said question in a different forum since this is for introductions.

I have a 1995 Z28 Camaro Convertible that I have worked to keep maintained and in addition I've done some performance modification to bring the stock HP of 275 up to 400 HP.  I've been around enough to know that that's nothing of special note as more have done much more but that's where I am.

My favorite driving experience is open road driving or touring as I call it. I'm in Louisville, KY. I've made two trips out west and I greatly enjoyed the flat, straight highways I experienced and cruising at, shall we say, over the speed limits. I hope to make another trip as soon as I can. In addition I'd love to drive my car and attempt it's top speed on the salt flats though I have heard of things to be cautious of like the sand not dry enough and that the salt gets everywhere on your car.

Mostly, I just want to drive with the top down and enjoy the scenery as I cruise.

So, hello!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3859 on: August 16, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
If you want to know how fast it will go check out the USFRA... they allow street cars in 130 Club....
Stainless

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #3860 on: August 16, 2020, 01:45:08 PM »
Welcome KYwes,  but be fore-warned, salt is ADDICTING  :lol:  I followed the path that others have suggested, had a '68 Nova drag/street that my wife and I used to achive the 130 club, but after seeing the initial signs of salt damage, I built a purpose-built salt car, '53 studebaker! When I asked questions, I was refered to the rule book,but that doesn't apply to the step after the 130 (150) but I followed the book to the letter and more, so that upon reaching the 150 goal, (we did :friday) I would move to comp. classes without major reworking.After reaching the 150, with additional safety items, we have had a blast running in comp (A/CGALT ) so I guess what I'm telling you is ,if you really love your Camaro, I would get a low-buck car that has enoungh omph to get you a decent run , then sit back while the salt fever takes hold !! :-D  So go to the USFRA website and scroll down to the 130/150 rules and have a blast! Good luck  :cheers:

Offline Beatnik

• New folks
« Reply #3861 on: August 20, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »
Hello
My name is Mike Moyer and have been a drag racer for most of my adult life. I have recently been to El Mirage and Bonneville to one event each and have gotten hooked. Want to get into LSR before I am too old to make it happen.
Retired and living in Washington state near Olympia, WA.

I have purchased an SCTA rulebook and have a few questions. I would like to use my 1978 F body firebird as my initial LSR car. Are there any race car builders in the northwest that are very knowledgeable about the roll cage rules for SCTA? Would like to get started this winter if possible.
Thanks all.

Offline georgehirvela

• New folks
« Reply #3862 on: August 21, 2020, 07:09:39 PM »
I'm George Hirvela and old bike nut. Bikes and me...Mostly old british bikes, mostly Nortons. Speed trials is on my bucket list. I better hurry up and do this my bucket is loosing water...

Offline racer8432955

• New folks
« Reply #3863 on: August 25, 2020, 10:29:53 PM »
Hello,
Long time racer, a lot of drag racing and motocross. Bonneville has always intrigued me with the uniqueness of the vehicles.
When my health gets better i plan to get the salt flats someday. I will want to bring a vehicle to run (likely a motorcyle), as i am coming from 1/2 way across the country and want to make the most of it.
Do the SCTA events have a run-what-you-brung type class for motorcycles like the AMA events do? Or, similarly do many people run in without the intention of setting a world record, but more for the experience? I prefer to go to the SCTA event to see the cars, my god are some (most) of them cool!
Thanks,
John
(in Wisconsin)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:34:57 PM by racer8432955 »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3864 on: August 26, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
SpeedWeek is the venue for you. 400 to 500 vehicles, about 60% cars.  All timed vehicles must be entered in a particular class, no "run what you brung", but bikes are much easier (and cheaper ? no intricate cages and fire systems) to prepare for racing, particularly in the small displacement classes.  And there are literally hundreds of "open" records.

Here's the mantra ? GET A RULE BOOK and join the fun.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Turbino

« Reply #3865 on: August 26, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »
Hello, I'm Turbino, I'm a really streamliners enthusiast.
I love especially small displacements like 50cc from 250cc. 2 stroke is my passion. In this forum I hope to find people that love this topic like me.  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #3866 on: August 26, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
  You can run T/O ( time only  )  , no class ,,  to get a speed reading   .  You still need to pass tech inspection to run at all .   STEVE

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3867 on: August 26, 2020, 05:42:43 PM »
You're right (as usual) Steve.  My point is that you have to meet all the safety standards for bikes (that both you and I don't know that well) to run an anticipated MPH set by the MC inspectors in T.O.

So, with all the open records available, build the right bike to that particular class standards and have an SCTA Bonneville record (unless someone else does it before you).

Lotsa ((())) above, hay?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Fiat_carl

• New folks
« Reply #3868 on: September 12, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
Hello, My name is Carl Schulz. My college friend and I are attempting to put together a competitive car in the Modified GT Sports class, basically a 850 Fiat spider withe a 750 MC engine. As this is the smallest allowable engine in the class we are looking at aero to help make up for lack of cubic inches. I've been reading about aero on this forum and other sites on the internet. Still have a long way to go but learning. I have a question for anybody who has been a long time contributor to this forum, what ever happened to Superford317?  I read as many of his post as I could get through and they seemed informative but I also noted that some old members of the forum questioned who he was and what backed up his opinions, questions he did not answer. Just wondering if anybody found out if he was legit or another flake who faded ito the ether. Thanks folks, this forum is a great source of info and inspiration. For the record, my friend and I are 75 yo guys who have loved cars all our lives, we have no racing experience at any level, but are looking forward to building an entry level car for The Salt going for a 123.4 record.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3869 on: September 12, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »
Fiat Carl... folks come and go here... some are smarter than they appear... others not so much....  but that's not too relevant to car building.
You must already have a rulebook, so start a build diary, show us what you are doing and we will help as much as we can.  Some suggestions will be good and usable, some may not but again everyone will have an opinion.  Modified Sports will allow aero changes... read the rules and take advantage of what is written. 
I just completed a 2 year build diary and I can tell you the folks here will help. 
Good luck with your project... welcome to the obsession  :cheers: 
Stainless