Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273385 times)

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
  • thank you for flying ford airlines
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3840 on: May 07, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Bad Horse... when you cut up that Mustang I might be interested in the seats for our coupe. Street car of course...

follow my build diary here and remind me. it wont be for a year

Offline Little-Gizzmo

• New folks
« Reply #3841 on: May 30, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
Maybe contact Mike Cook

Today the 2020 SCTA Rulebook arrived. Now need to find the time to study.

Offline tuk27

• New folks
« Reply #3842 on: June 10, 2020, 04:35:26 PM »
 :cheers: Hello! Doug Lynch here. Have played with cars most of my 50 years on this earth. Land Speed Racing has always held a special mystique for me. Have done some drag racing, drove a police car for a few decades (and never crashed one!). Now that I am retired from public service want to give it LSR a go. Thanks for allowing me to be a new member of this prestigious yet motley group.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3843 on: June 10, 2020, 05:31:19 PM »
Hey, who you calling motley!!?? :wink: lol8 lol8   muutt

We are a totally put together bunch of saltaholics. Now our cars and bikes? They are Motley.

Welcome Doug. It gets in your blood so better get your fix soon.  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3844 on: June 10, 2020, 11:58:51 PM »
Motley... I resemble that remark... Welcome to the obsession... it can be worse than the plague  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline VeniceCustoms

• New folks
« Reply #3845 on: June 20, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »
typing next to Giants. will be standing next to giants this august. 1st time to the Flats. just bought a drop tank. been looking for years in my price range. . Oh by the Way Kevin Mc Cann from Venice California. been building cars for about 20 years. Been wanting to build a Lakester. its been on the list and slowly collecting parts. raced through tornado alley last May to get a 200$ 50' flat head from Kansas and back in 28 hours. Driving another 24 hours up to Oregon to pick up the drop tank from a P80 fighter. been doing research never enough research. I have had a fever for this and as soon as I step or get close to the salt i know its going to consume everything. 
been an adrenaline junkie for ever. love the big surf. love the downhill skiing, ... i don't know if im doing this right. ...story of my life. Tons of questions.... but will read as posted before the criteria of this.

anyway .... HI.

kevin.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3846 on: June 20, 2020, 10:58:12 PM »
Welcome Kevin... good plan to look at tanks before you build... talk to owners to see what they would do different, enjoy your quest.
See ya on the salt  :wink:
Stainless

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3847 on: June 21, 2020, 12:18:20 AM »
Yep! Talk to tank builders before you dive in there. Any old fool can build something then hang a body on it but it's a whole different animal when you're having to build a ship in an aluminum bottle. Tip of the day, If you want to go fast, don't build an oil rig on the top of it. :-D
  Sid.

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #3848 on: July 26, 2020, 05:37:01 AM »
hey i got a question, i know my cars  not going to be ready for august and im coming anyway. 2 things id like to know about, 1 i was reading on a facebook group that spectators arent allowed in the  pits (seriously?). and 2 it had been suggested that i volunteer to work the event (which im totally down for).
any clarification on these 2 issues would be much appreciated 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3849 on: July 26, 2020, 07:17:09 AM »
Sign the waiver  and get a wristband and you can go dang near anyplace at SpeedWeek including the pits and the line.  Don't go beyond signs that say No spectators past this point (like at the far end of the pits, and Burford Boulevard - the road to the timing tower - and so on).

As for volunteering, most of the volunteers at SW have been doing it for years and have had all of the duties under control and there's not much that isn't already under control.  With that said - many of said volunteers might consider having an understudy tag along (Want to learn how to place five or six DOZEN porta-potties?  Follow me around during setup).  And of course - many racers would appreciate (or at least be willing to have tag along) an extra set of hands.  Mosey through the pits and the registration line and see if there's someone that wants help.

See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3850 on: July 26, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »
Yea... just hang a cardboard sign around your neck with your shoe laces that says "will work for food".... :roll: 
:cheers:
Stainless

Offline BadHorse

• New folks
« Reply #3851 on: July 26, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
Sign the waiver  and get a wristband and you can go dang near anyplace at SpeedWeek including the pits and the line.  Don't go beyond signs that say No spectators past this point (like at the far end of the pits, and Burford Boulevard - the road to the timing tower - and so on).

As for volunteering, most of the volunteers at SW have been doing it for years and have had all of the duties under control and there's not much that isn't already under control.  With that said - many of said volunteers might consider having an understudy tag along (Want to learn how to place five or six DOZEN porta-potties?  Follow me around during setup).  And of course - many racers would appreciate (or at least be willing to have tag along) an extra set of hands.  Mosey through the pits and the registration line and see if there's someone that wants help.

See you on the salt.

thanks for the heads up!! i really appreciate it. this is my first year going and i know my car wont be ready but i want to help out not just watch

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3852 on: July 26, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
Getting on the salt in the first place involves stopping at end of the road to get daily or weekly pass. I think but bow to the above folks, that you can get pit pass there. This year process will require release forms and will be faster if you fill out ahead of time: http://www.scta-bni.org/2020-speed-week-mandatory-release-forms.html

Also the schedule: http://nebula.wsimg.com/a16b68b051ffefc31cb3325882784c11?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline ClayTaylorTX

• New folks
« Reply #3853 on: August 09, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
Hi all - I am currently in Corpus Christi, TX, wishing I was on the salt.  My last time there was 2009, and I was a fairly frequent lurker on this site back then, but it got away from me.  Good to be back, and glad to see that there are still familiar names posting.  I have never raced, but have taken lots of photos over the years (drags in the 70s and 80s, Bonneville 2004 - 2009, F1 and MotoGP in Austin, TX when I can and when they race....), and I am hoping that I can get back to The Salt sooner rather than later.   Hope all is well with everyone, and Speed Week is good.

Offline Hemi Joel

• New folks
« Reply #3854 on: August 15, 2020, 09:42:34 PM »
Hi, I've been lurking here for a while, and finally posted today, so I reckon I should do a proper intro. I have lived in Minnesota my whole 60 years. I have been wrenching, racing, restoring and just generally enjoying cars my whole life. For about 10 years, I drag raced a 67 Hemi GTX 4 speed car in the Factory Appearing Stock Tire muscle car drags, and have done Hot Rod Drag Week 10 times.

In 2013 my son and I ventured to Speed Week for the first time, and happened to serendipitously end up as a two man crew for a bike, driving the chase truck down the salt! I came back to the salt with friends in 2016, and with my son again this year.

Every time I visit Speed Week, I leave dreaming of running speed week in a race car, and my son has similar aspirations. After driving on snow and ice half the year for 45 years, I am thinking maybe I could drive on salt OK. So I have to ask myself: At my age, can I muster the commitment of time, energy and money to race on the salt?  I don't like to race with a Micky Mouse effort. I like to do things well.  So I'm pondering this, and trying to learn as much as I can.

Bye for now, Joel