Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265099 times)

Buamotorsport

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3645 on: June 26, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
All Jazzed up! with nowhere to go... Have my motor built (inline chevy 6) and chassis under construction (firebird subframe/S10 backhalf), but I'm ready today! So when I heard something about a street class... I jumped on a rolling chassis ('91 Camaro RS) and I already have everything I need to put it together (worn out 5.0 w/ auto tranny)... then as I was reading a post with a link to a rulebook, I saw where the car must be street legal with tags! In Tennessee, if you don't have a title you can't get a tag! And all I have is a "bill of sale"... Doesn't look like I'll be at the track anytime soon...  :dhorse:

Get hold the the latest Rule book. I am sure there will be a class for you to run...some wise words i was told "Build the car to run a class not build a car and then try to find a class it will run in".

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
    • Motor-Assisted Bicycling
« Reply #3646 on: June 26, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
All Jazzed up! with nowhere to go... Have my motor built (inline chevy 6) and chassis under construction (firebird subframe/S10 backhalf), but I'm ready today! So when I heard something about a street class... I jumped on a rolling chassis ('91 Camaro RS) and I already have everything I need to put it together (worn out 5.0 w/ auto tranny)... then as I was reading a post with a link to a rulebook, I saw where the car must be street legal with tags! In Tennessee, if you don't have a title you can't get a tag! And all I have is a "bill of sale"... Doesn't look like I'll be at the track anytime soon...  :dhorse:

USFRA's 130 Club and 150 Club are fairly inclusive and tolerant, and their staff would rather help you get in, if possible, than keep you out. That's been my experience, at least. Certain waivers are available with pre-approval.

I suggest making direct contact, but as they've started processing registrations this month, time may be running out. Good luck. Hope you find a way.

ps-i LOVE straight-6's
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:55:04 PM by augidog »
"Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live." Mark Twain (1884)

Offline BSTracing

• New folks
« Reply #3647 on: June 26, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
"waivers are available with pre-approval" Seems to be good advise and worth the effort! Mostly wanting to use the Camaro to get some track time without taking time and money from the primary build.

Offline BSTracing

• New folks
« Reply #3648 on: June 26, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
"Build the car to run a class not build a car and then try to find a class it will run in" Not sure what class the primary build will fit in... Hoping to attend a few events this fall/winter and look for similar cars/trucks and see what classes they are running!

Offline moparmark

• New folks
« Reply #3649 on: June 27, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
Welcome Michael
Just a few years ago I be came interested in these motorized bicycles So the obsession begins, ha. So I built one from a mountain bike purchase from a pond shop then a E bay purchase of a 50cc 2 stroke engine kit and poof I'm hooked  :-D since then I have become obsessed with electric propulsion and have restored over 15 ebike's built by the infamous Lee Iacocca, they are just a blast to ride.

My first time being introduced to the salt flats land speed racing was 1986 and I have been hooked ever since. Being a Mechanic by trade and loving performance and racing of all kinds its been a passion of mine to go and see all of the amazing engineering that goes on at Bonneville. I have met and made awesome friend at Bonneville and I'm sure you will too.

This is worthy goal that you have taken on and I'm excited to see where this takes you.

See you on the Salt

Mark Anderson  (moparmark)         

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3650 on: June 27, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
See you before then, Mark.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline moparmark

• New folks
« Reply #3651 on: June 27, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
 :cheers: :-D

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
    • Motor-Assisted Bicycling
« Reply #3652 on: July 01, 2018, 10:57:35 PM »
Welcome Michael
Just a few years ago I be came interested in these motorized bicycles So the obsession begins, ha. So I built one from a mountain bike purchase from a pond shop then a E bay purchase of a 50cc 2 stroke engine kit and poof I'm hooked  :-D since then I have become obsessed with electric propulsion and have restored over 15 ebike's built by the infamous Lee Iacocca, they are just a blast to ride.

My first time being introduced to the salt flats land speed racing was 1986 and I have been hooked ever since. Being a Mechanic by trade and loving performance and racing of all kinds its been a passion of mine to go and see all of the amazing engineering that goes on at Bonneville. I have met and made awesome friend at Bonneville and I'm sure you will too.

This is worthy goal that you have taken on and I'm excited to see where this takes you.

See you on the Salt

Mark Anderson  (moparmark)         
perhaps you were replying to my post? I didn't see a Michael associated with motorized bicycles, but please clue me in if I missed something. I'll definitely be there in September, and the way I see it, the more the merrier.

I was speaking with Ellen, and she said that there's going to be an attempt by Denise Koroken to beat the men's  "paced bicycle" record of 167mph...she currently holds the woman's record of 147.
"Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live." Mark Twain (1884)

Offline Deepsea

• New folks
« Reply #3653 on: July 03, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
Hello all. Raced at Bonneville and El Mirage in the late 70's and early 80's. Looking toward coming back with a new entry in 2020 or 21.
Retired US Navy Saturation Diver

Offline neandethal

« Reply #3654 on: July 08, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
Hi,

I am booked in to compete in speedweek in the 100cc M-VG class (4210B) with a french autocycle, but am based in the UK, i am planning to send the bike to a good mate in 2 big cardboard boxes, split dow into major components.

Could anyone tell me what level of import tax he is likely to be faced with when delivery is made. Neither box will contain a complete engine or chassis, so purely a box of "parts", or any other advice to make this a safer/ more guaranteed process, like getting rid of petrol fumes from the petrol tank and carb.

Any help gratefully received, Ian

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3655 on: July 08, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
If this is entering the US and then returned to UK within 12 months it could entered on a Carnet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3656 on: July 08, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »
Hi,

I am booked in to compete in speedweek in the 100cc M-VG class (4210B) with a french autocycle, but am based in the UK, i am planning to send the bike to a good mate in 2 big cardboard boxes, split dow into major components.

Could anyone tell me what level of import tax he is likely to be faced with when delivery is made. Neither box will contain a complete engine or chassis, so purely a box of "parts", or any other advice to make this a safer/ more guaranteed process, like getting rid of petrol fumes from the petrol tank and carb.

Any help gratefully received, Ian

I had an engine shipped over from Birmingham, and have had numerous parts shipped from Great Britain to the US. 

For what you describe, I would recommend Federal Express, and it might actually be less expensive if you can palletize the package.

I'd get that coming as soon as possible - we're about a month away.

In addition, Fed Ex was absolutely great about walking me through the paperwork.

I'm not familiar with the Carnet approach - I simply had it shipped, it went through customs with no issues, and with any luck, it will be at Speedweek this August.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline neandethal

« Reply #3657 on: July 09, 2018, 02:30:37 AM »
I was going to us Fedex, and the total bike only weighs 55kgs , and i will bring vital parts in hold luggage such as crankshafts, so each box approx 35kgs including all my riding gear and spares.

Will be sending this week. :-D  Any info on what the import tax is/was or will i not have to pay any?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3658 on: July 09, 2018, 09:10:33 AM »
I was going to us Fedex, and the total bike only weighs 55kgs , and i will bring vital parts in hold luggage such as crankshafts, so each box approx 35kgs including all my riding gear and spares.

Will be sending this week. :-D  Any info on what the import tax is/was or will i not have to pay any?

I'm sorry to say, I do not recall, but I recall the cost of the engine out of a breaker yard was 150 GBP, and the total bill with shipping came in at about 750 GBP.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline malibuguy79

• New folks
« Reply #3659 on: August 20, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »
Hello, my name is Greg.  I am a custom fabricator.  Always been fascinated with Bonneville...but being on the east coast kinda makes things a bit tough.

Grew up a drag racer...then dabbled in road racing, then AutoX.  Now I have my sights set to Bonneville.

Bought this car recently...and I want to aim it into a class that it might physically have a chance to be competitive.  I dont care necessarily to set a record...but getting close to something would be a win in my book.  I got a rule book on order and I cannot wait to figure something out

My 3-5 year plan is to build this Bonneville...drive it the 2,221 miles to Bonneville...run it, then turn around and drive home.  Its got a hurt 305 atm, I have a high compression 311 roller cam motor sitting on the stand.  Going to see what that might do for classing.
-Greg...the exhaust guy