Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265039 times)

Buamotorsport

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3630 on: May 15, 2018, 01:20:59 AM »
Hi guys!
I'm Nami from Japan ^_^
Nice to meet you all

Welcome. Hope you can make Bonneville this year.

Offline Lamia

• New folks
« Reply #3631 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
Hello all

My name is Alan. I'm here to learn as I work towards putting a car in lsr, which may be years down the road.
I'm 100% certified without a doubt new to LSR, but I'm intrigued.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3632 on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse, Alan.  I hope you maintain some semblance of sanity as you hang out with us.

There -- I gave him fair warning!  Seriously - enjoy the site and the Forum and ask the dumb questions anyway, even if you think they're dumb.  Somebody here has already asked 'em all so there's a wealth of dumbness stored for easy dispersal to new folks. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Lamia

• New folks
« Reply #3633 on: May 18, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
Thanks Slim, I've never been afraid to ask stupid questions and I was born crazy, which is good, cause it's one less thing to worry about.
I'm 100% certified without a doubt new to LSR, but I'm intrigued.

Offline Ian Northeast

« Reply #3634 on: May 29, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Ian Northeast. I am coming over to compete at this years speed week in August.
I am staking pretty much everything I own to realise my dream of driving at Bonneville. This is a one shot deal for me as I can't afford to contract 'salt fever'.
I have modified my Jensen C-V8 hopefully within all the rules and have managed to put a few runs in during British speed week in south Wales.
I have owned the car for some time and have turned it from a very genteel grand tourer into something I hope may be capable of getting over 190 mph.
I'm not very good at this sort of thing as I'm much better at talking than typing, but I would welcome any advice, tips or assistance from anyone.
In particular I have a couple of requests.
Time off work is a very limited commodity for me, but I am looking into getting the car over as early as possible. The main reason for this is I am very concerned about the tech inspection. The rules are open to some interpretation which means there is scope for me to think I've covered it and the man with the knowledge to disagree. My priority is safety and I want to the car to be right.
I will be shipping the car in via Houston. Are there any tech inspectors between Houston and Utah that may be willing to give the car a once over, in time for me to make any changes necessary before the event?
On a slightly more technical note, I have never done any of this straight line stuff before all of my experience is circuit racing. I assume the set up of the car is different. For example I have negative camber and a small amount of tow in at the front wheels. Is this ideal or should I find something more neutral?

I have too many technical questions for this introduction, I don't suppose there is anyone out there interested in 'mentoring' me on a one to one basis. I am not looking for someone that knows all the answers, more someone who knows who to ask for all the answers.

Ian

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3635 on: May 29, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »
Welcome to the group and good luck with not getting salt fever.
If you haven’t already done so go to the SCTA-BNI.org page. Go to the very bottom right of the home page. Download the following forms: Rookie Orientation; Drivers Medical; & Tech Inspection – Cars.
As a newbee most racers read the rule book and try to build a legal car (or bike). But the inspection form has everything the inspectors will be looking at during the tech inspection process. If you can check everything off this list you will very likely pass tech with minimal issues.
Good Luck on your visit.

Hello Everyone,
My name is Ian Northeast. I am coming over to compete at this years speed week in August.
I am staking pretty much everything I own to realise my dream of driving at Bonneville. This is a one shot deal for me as I can't afford to contract 'salt fever'.
I have modified my Jensen C-V8 hopefully within all the rules and have managed to put a few runs in during British speed week in south Wales.
I have owned the car for some time and have turned it from a very genteel grand tourer into something I hope may be capable of getting over 190 mph.
I'm not very good at this sort of thing as I'm much better at talking than typing, but I would welcome any advice, tips or assistance from anyone.
Time off work is a very limited commodity for me, but I am looking into getting the car over as early as possible. The main reason for this is I am very concerned about the tech inspection. The rules are open to some interpretation which means there is scope for me to think I've covered it and the man with the knowledge to disagree. My priority is safety and I want to the car to be right.
I will be shipping the car in via Houston. Are there any tech inspectors between Houston and Utah that may be willing to give the car a once over, in time for me to make any changes necessary before the event?
On a slightly more technical note, I have never done any of this straight line stuff before all of my experience is circuit racing. I assume the set up of the car is different. For example I have negative camber and a small amount of tow in at the front wheels. Is this ideal or should I find something more neutral?

I have too many technical questions for this introduction, I don't suppose there is anyone out there interested in 'mentoring' me on a one to one basis. I am not looking for someone that knows all the answers, more someone who knows who to ask for all the answers.

Ian
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3636 on: May 29, 2018, 08:23:02 PM »
I can't speak to how many inspectors there are in your path, but Houston is the home base of Jim Webb and the Chock Full of Nuts team.  They race a pretty successful pickup truck and could probably give you an idea of whom in that area could help you.  Or, hey - with enough beer they might even be willing to take a look-see at your racer for really obvious stuff.

And Sparky is in southern Arizona as are lotsa of others.  Let's see who else gets volunteered... :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3637 on: May 30, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
I can't speak to how many inspectors there are in your path, but Houston is the home base of Jim Webb and the Chock Full of Nuts team. 

Ian, May I suggest that you put this enquiry onto the Bonneville General chat page to garner some response. Should you get in touch with Jim Webb you could ask him about the time he visited the Pittwood home in Derby, UK. The UK beer. And the traffic calming near my home that puts you on the wrong side of the road! Long time ago but 'name dropping' may help.

Malcolm UK, Derby
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #3638 on: May 30, 2018, 02:42:58 PM »

A small amount of toe in is good,  1/8" or so.  I would take out the camber to 0 and also look at your caster.  Most will run more caster for straight line.   Not absolute but does give it a little less of a twitchy feel.  Definitely have the right idea with getting a pretech I always feel bad seeing guys thrashing on the salt for several days just to get through tech.  As stated,  make a post in the Bville with some pics and questions regarding any of your concerns and we will try to help more

Hello Everyone,

Ian

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #3639 on: May 30, 2018, 10:52:34 PM »
This is for Ian Northwest  ..   STEVE

Offline Internet

• New folks
« Reply #3640 on: June 04, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
Hello,

This is actually the first time I've introduced myself on a forum. Name is Richard and I'm from Vancouver island BC. Been lurking around this website reading and learning. I attended speed week 2017 Saturday and Sunday and will be returning this year.

A partner and I have been working on a c/bmmp entry over the winter. We are feeling confident enough that it will be ready for tech that we registered this year. From an island off of Canada to the salt flats of utah/Nevada I'm really enjoying the learning curve.

I finally registered because it has come time to find an sfi20 fire suit.Hoping the classifieds here may help me out.

Thanks for reading.

P.s. this is by far the longest thing I have ever typed into a phone, please forgive any grammar or spelling....

Offline augidog

• Making slow look good.
    • Motor-Assisted Bicycling
« Reply #3641 on: June 23, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
Hello to all. I'm happy to have been led here by Ellen at USFRA.

I'm a Motor-Assisted Bicycle enthusiast, have been building and riding since 2006. The best way to summarize my personal attitude about these little contraptions is to say that I am a purist. I happily embrace the generally accepted mechanical parameters of:

a) the chassis is a functional pedal bicycle
b) the assist is 50cc or less
c) the assist is single-speed automatic

Early on in my MaB career, two things happened...I learned about George A. Wyman, and I discovered a nice belt-drive system offered by Golden Eagle Bike Engines. Riding my bike with a 2hp engine and beltdrive perfectly captures the essence of what it was like for the first "motor bicyclists." We can talk about that some more if anyone likes, but I'm here on LandRacing to talk about putting my MaB on the salt.

In 2008, I entered USFRA's 130MPH Class, and managed a whopping top speed of 32.4mph with a stock Tanaka 32cc 2-stroke. I think 1mph/cc was the fastest speed/displacement that year. I and my bike, "Sabrina 2," were featured on USFRA'S "Results" page, and it's still there, something I'm a little proud of. I believe we represented rather well.

For years I've been trying to interest other riders to build similar bikes and join the fun. So far, nobody else I know of has officially registered and run another "pure" Motorized Bicycle.

We are finally running again this year, at World of Speed 2018, and our Honorary Sponsor is the George A Wyman Memorial Project. While job-one is FUN we also intend to use our presence to raise awareness for The Memorial Project.

So there ya go, my introduction... I'm going to browse the forums and find out where we fit in, then I'll be happy to share details about the bike and the Wyman Project with anyone interested in learning more.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:47:08 PM by augidog »
"Get a bicycle, you will not regret it. If you live." Mark Twain (1884)

Offline BSTracing

• New folks
« Reply #3642 on: June 25, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
All Jazzed up! with nowhere to go... Have my motor built (inline chevy 6) and chassis under construction (firebird subframe/S10 backhalf), but I'm ready today! So when I heard something about a street class... I jumped on a rolling chassis ('91 Camaro RS) and I already have everything I need to put it together (worn out 5.0 w/ auto tranny)... then as I was reading a post with a link to a rulebook, I saw where the car must be street legal with tags! In Tennessee, if you don't have a title you can't get a tag! And all I have is a "bill of sale"... Doesn't look like I'll be at the track anytime soon...  :dhorse:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3643 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:04 AM »
BS... they probably have other classes....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #3644 on: June 26, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
BST Racing- check with the USFRA (saltflats.com) to see if you can run in their 130 club, sometimes they may grant a waiver if you have insurance .They run in Sept. and it is a great way to 'get your feet wet' to see if LSR is for you-but trust me and the many great folks on this forum, you will NOT look back, but rather you'll be looking AHEAD to see what comp class you'll be running :-D I learned that the hard $$ (easy) way :-D :-D :cheers:
good luck