Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264913 times)

Offline gtldvm1987

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3600 on: September 13, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
Hay, Greg -- welcome to the fun.  Join the group, tell us some stuff - like who'd you crew for, and where are you, and what do you think you're gonna build, and so on.
Jon, I crewed for Eric Deerwester of Fortune Cookie Racing, a long time friend and fellow autocrosser/road racer.  He managed to set the new record this year at Speed Week, then reset it 3 days later for G/CPRO in a 1979 924 Porsche he built.  Very talented fellow.  He's a very young 73 year old man.
I'm in northern Kentucky, in metro Cincinnati.
I'm building a '65 Corvair, and going for the F/CPRO record.  After that, I may put blowers on it and go for the 34 year old record for F/GBC(?) the following year.  I think i have that right.  Still trying to figure it all out.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3601 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
"F/GBC(?)"

F/BGC or F/CBGC
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gtldvm1987

• New folks
« Reply #3602 on: September 17, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
I think I meant F/CBGC.  Like I said, still trying to keep it all straight.  I went to World of Speed last September (2016) and had a blast, took a lot of pictures, and "sort of" crewed for Eric D.  Then this year I was his crew chief and helped him drive the 1800 miles one way towing my enclosed trailer with his truck, car, gear, etc.  Last year he missed setting the record the second day due to some ignition gremlin/rookie curse BS.  So he did it twice this year at Speed Week.  Now I have the bug.  I have the car, a good engine builder, and we're getting ready to come next year!  But the F/CBGC will be the following year.  I want to start a little more conservative first by going after F/CPRO.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:18:23 PM by gtldvm1987 »

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #3603 on: October 07, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
Hey Unforgiven here. Real name Ed. Rookie wannabee land racer. Wanna build a sportster to go either MPG or A-PG in the 1000cc class for the WOS. I remember when Nahlin helped build the MPG 1000cc sportster and took the record from the Moto Guzzi. I'd like to do that. Anyway. Been racing and riding sportsters for shade over 40 years. Hooligan flat track back in the seventies and drag racing since then. Never went land speed racing, and since drag racing is just plain boring anymore...Gonna shoot for next years WOS. Got more than a few bikes and piles of parts to pick from, not to mention years of experience and my own boring and  honing machine.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3604 on: October 07, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
Welcome Ed, be safe, have fun, then go fast...
Good luck with your quest.... see ya at WoS
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3605 on: October 08, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
Hay, Greg -- welcome to the fun.  Join the group, tell us some stuff - like who'd you crew for, and where are you, and what do you think you're gonna build, and so on.
Jon, I crewed for Eric Deerwester of Fortune Cookie Racing, a long time friend and fellow autocrosser/road racer.  He managed to set the new record this year at Speed Week, then reset it 3 days later for G/CPRO in a 1979 924 Porsche he built.  Very talented fellow.  He's a very young 73 year old man.
I'm in northern Kentucky, in metro Cincinnati.
I'm building a '65 Corvair, and going for the F/CPRO record.  After that, I may put blowers on it and go for the 34 year old record for F/GBC(?) the following year.  I think i have that right.  Still trying to figure it all out.

Unless you are doing engine swap or non stock blower (that would be putting a supercharger (we had a Paxton belt driven on a street '62 Corvair back in the day) instead of a turbo which would put you in /GC or /CGC) why not F/CPS as in Production supercharged as of course, Corvairs had a turbo engine. Would be an OPEN record 8-)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline johnmac424

• New folks
« Reply #3606 on: October 19, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
My name is John McDowell and I was with Rex Schimmer at Bonneville this year helping out and trying not to get in the way of a terrific effort by Rex and Duke.
Had a great time and met many wonderful people. Looking to get involved with a Belly Tank. Any leads on a incomplete project suitable for a flathead would be appreciated. My gray haired friends and I are hoping to spend time completing the car and enjoying the time as a group. Not looking to set a record, but to build a safe and quick car. El Mirage for sure, but hopefully Bonneville as well.

John

Offline Team1038

• New folks
« Reply #3607 on: October 21, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
I'm Aaron Hartley from all over and currently living in Fresno, CA. I was a crew member on the Project 64 Mini that set two class records at Bonneville in 2016 and I'm currently building a Mini of my own to run at Bonneville in the Classic classes. My effort is called Team 1038 and you can follow my team page on Facebook.

Offline neandethal

« Reply #3608 on: November 24, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm a UK rider who spent this years speed week with the Wally Kohler team and had a ball, great lads made me very welcome. Even got to drive the recovery truck on the salt for a few runs, up close and personal to the action.
Currently working on a bike to challenge 6 British land speed records for 1 hour, 6 hours 12 hours, 10 kms, 100 kms and 1000kms, with a date set for 11th April 2018.
Building at least one bike to run on the salt next year as well, one a M-VG, 1954 Monet Goyon S2G Autocycle, i think this class possible has the lowest speed record, but thankfully due to its small size and weight will be cheaper to ship out.
If all goes well might have a second bike ready as well.
Main ambition is for a streamliner for 2019, and am drawing it up for submission for technical approval currently. Will build it once out of normal tube to learn to drive it and obviously fall on my side a lot, then build it again with all the learning out of CDS tube.

I am finding it hard to get detail on how the parachute systems work on bikes when they are packed into tubes, as i need this for the design, and on the various chute websites there are dire warnings about using tube mountings, any advise, drawings etc much appreciated.

Look forward to meeting more of you again next year.

Offline dillardP

• New folks
« Reply #3609 on: December 04, 2017, 04:24:29 AM »
Hey, all! Not a racer here but used to ride ATV dirt bikes back in the days before our first baby came. Finally got some time and thought to scratch the need for speed. I'll be lurking around.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #3610 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
I'm John, based in the UK - a car hobbiest since I was 15.

I attended my first Speedweek in 2017 with some friends.
I have started converting design ideas into mock-up (waste pipe, duct tape, wood and cardboard); I have two SCTA rulebooks on my office desk (and a 1:18 scale model of the SoCal tanker).

The 2015 version came about when I was gravity racing which I have done on and off since I was 8 - in the 80's a hot rod friend and I built one under the banner Lemming Motors (as in jumping off cliffs/hills) and that has stuck. About 3 years ago I built a new one for a local charity event - it had a fully enclosed body with 20" BMX wheels out in the breeze; think soapbox that looks a bit like a Lakester - I've tried to attach a pic. We were talking about building a better one - then someone said put an engine in it and someone else mentioned Bonneville......

The plan is G/GL in 2020 or 2021. Gravity sucks anyway.
I have some of the mechanicals in the garage next to and competing for time and money with a '56 Chev pickup imported last year. I am seeking a positive response in principle from Tech before I commit the mock up 'cage' to metal.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3611 on: January 02, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Welcome. If you scratch built that you're well on your way to success with a lakester.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Leenavy

• New folks
« Reply #3612 on: January 29, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
Hey all! I'm Chuck!
Not only new to land speed racing but also new to using a forum. That's right, I've never posted on a forum before. Honestly I'm not even sure how to utilize a forum properly. Still trying to figure out my way around here.
Anyway...I was born and raised in Upstate NY. Been there for 45 years. Just recently moved to Seattle. I've always been interested in anything that goes fast. Done a bit of drag racing in my younger days, 1980 Malibu with a mild 327. And not to long ago tried out dragbike racing, 1979 KZ1000, and loved it! Running a bike at Bonneville is something that has been on my mind for many years. But due to not knowing where/how to begin and mostly being so far away has kept me from going after that dream. But know that I am on the west coast that looks to be more do-able. The only problem now is where to start. Would like to run a bike but need some sound advice.
1) What would be a good bike to start with? I know everyone has their preferance but want to keep it on the cheap. Since it's my first time don't want to start out dumping a ton of money in to it. Need cheap but reliable. What's a good make/model and power plant that is good for a newby? Would prefer something upwards of at least 650cc.
2) Does anyone know of any clubs/organizations or even a person in the Seattle area that I may get in touch with to learn more about land speed racing?
 I have more questions but this is a good start. Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

Offline salt27

« Reply #3613 on: January 29, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
Welcome Chuck, My advice in a nutshell would be.

1. Pick which events you want to attend. (Speedweek, BMST, World of Speed, World Finals)

2. Get a copy of the applicable rules.

3. Look at the current records and find one you would like to go after.

4. Choose your weapon and get it ready.

At the top left of the Landracing.com home page is a list of links to the various events.

Hope this helps, Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3614 on: January 30, 2018, 12:39:03 AM »
Nick Genet is a Land Speed bike racer in Seattle.... you might want to hook up with him... you should attend an event just to see how it goes.  There are thousands of bike classes, should be easy to find one you like
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O