Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265025 times)

27D/MFR

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3540 on: December 31, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »
Hi All,
Long time voyeur, first time poster. I have been interested in LSR since early 2000's, have been buying rule books since 2005, and attended the 2013 SW. Also went with my dad in 2014 but, well. We had a great time hanging out for the week in Salt Lake City. Currently building a modified fuel roadster with a 27 ford body of course. From and currently live in Tulsa Oklahoma. Next stop is to post my build in the build forum.

Dan Alexander

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3541 on: December 31, 2016, 07:49:08 PM »
Happy New Year, Dan-- welcome.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3542 on: December 31, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »
Happy New year, Welcome, and dang it, why'd you go and tell us where you live? Now I can't have the fun of assigning you a cool location.  You get to do it - on the profile page, okay?  Otherwise you might be the first LSR dude in Strangulated Hernia City, Mississippi.  I haven't ever put anyone there. . . :evil:

Seriously -- great to have you here.  Thanks for signing up, and remember -- have fun and ask questions.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Guncase2010

• New folks
    • Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.
« Reply #3543 on: January 15, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
Hey All

Jack Weigand, Pistolsmith and small business owner. Looking to get involved with Land Speed Racing. As most of us did, I grew up reading about the Salt Flats in Hot Rod and many other magazines. I have always wanted to participate.

I am currently looking to purchase or build a low buck car, LOL! I know so is everyone else. Classic production is where my heart is but I would entertain and roller for sale because it is always cheaper to buy than build. I do have a pretty complete fab shop, bender, welders, CNC machines and such.

I look forward to meeting everyone in the coming years. Any advice is GLADLY accepted. I am very teachable.

Jack Weigand
www.JackWeigand.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3544 on: January 15, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
Welcome, Jack. What pistols do you specialize in?

Offline Guncase2010

• New folks
    • Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.
« Reply #3545 on: January 17, 2017, 06:14:05 PM »
Neil,

I generally did 1911 work, Smith & Wesson and Ruger Revolvers. I no longer do work for the general public, I mostly design gunsmith tools, scope mounts and rings. I have a CNC shop where we manufacture all of our parts. I believe we make 60 or so parts. Thanks for your interest.

Jack Weigand

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3546 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
Thanks, Jack. I've been keeping my eye out for a barrel for my Polish VIS-35 Radom. It has all matching numbers but the bore looks like a rat hole. Undoubtedly from the WW II corrosive primers used back then.

Offline Rickr

• New folks
« Reply #3547 on: January 21, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »
Hi folks. My name is Rick Roberts. I used to race a N/A busa and managed to get into the ECTA 200 mph club at Maxton with it. Ran over 200 mph at bonneville in the BUB meet but after Dave Owen's death at Maxton I lost interest and parked the bike. I posted here when the first Jon was running things and then when Slim took over but I haven't posted in several years. I still would visit as a guest from time to time but that's about it. Went to World of Speed this year and had a great time so now I'm back at Landracing.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:43:08 PM by Rickr »

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #3548 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Come on up to Loring Rick, great venue and good folks.
E-Racer

Offline Tackman

• New folks
« Reply #3549 on: January 22, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
Good Evening,
Thanks for letting me join this site. I have been lurking for a few weeks and reading build diaries. I am a Asphalt Paving Foreman by trade and love buying and selling old cars on the side. I will be ordering a rule book this evening in hopes that I can understand the classes better and what exactly it would take to bring a car to the Salt by my 50th birthday, which is in 2020. I figure this would be a great challenge and more rewarding than what I previously had planned for my 50th. What was my previous plan...A Safari in Africa.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3550 on: January 22, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »
Well, don't rule out Africa.  There's lots going on there in the world of land speed racing, what with Bloodhound and Marlo (maybe) and Mike in SA and so on.  But nah - stick to the states.  Welcome, have fun, and don't let the curmudgeons scare you away.  The really do love you - just can't verbalise very well. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tackman

• New folks
« Reply #3551 on: January 22, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »
Do you think the Bloodhound SSC with surpass the 1000mph mark?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3552 on: January 22, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
It will have to go Mach first...  :roll: 
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimzack

• New folks
« Reply #3553 on: March 28, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
Gentlemen:

I just signed on to this board in hopes of connecting with someone with information about GMC six bangers.  My father, brother and I built a GMC 6 powered drag car in the 70's.  We campaigned the car in NHRA's NorthEast Division for about 5 years with some modest success.  Well, life got in the way and we ended up selling the car and sold the engine separately.  I recall that my Dad said that he had sold the engine and extra parts to a "Bonneville racer".  It would be cool to find out if the engine did indeed go to a LSR effort but that is not the reason why I am here.  Well, my brothers and I are nearing retirement and we decided to replicate our dragracer from our youth and compete in the "nostalgia drag races" that have become popular.  We also decided to do it as a tribute to our Dad who had passed away.   
    Parts that were available 42 years ago are little harder to find nowadays.  The engine that I built back then was a 320 c.i. GMC 6, with a Sissell lump port head, a Clifford intake with 3 45 DCOE Webers, a Lunati cam (don't remember the specs), Vertex mag, electric water and fuel pumps, Venolia pistons at 11:1 compression with SuperRod aluminum connecting rods.  Never had the engine dyno'd, but the 3200# car's best quarter mile time was 11.13, 121 mph.  I want to try and replicate as close as possible  the engine that we had back then but we don't intend to run it as hard as we did back then.  If I recall, we shifted at 6700 RPM and crankshafts would last about 20 passes before they would develop cracks.  Back then, my Dad had no problem pulling engines out of busses and trucks in the local salvage yards, but they are pretty hard to find today.  We did score a long block off of ebay, but trying to find a Clifford Weber intake is a little harder. I have hopes that folks on this message board can point me in the right direction to help us find what we need.  I was just a college student back then when I built the first engine and was learning as we went.  I am amazed at how much I still don't know.  I would appreciate any help or guidance that any of you may offer.  I am always willing to listen.
                                                        ZACK

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3554 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
I did indeed run a GMC powered car at Bonneville in the late 70s. But not from back east. I must say that a Sissell Lump port head and Clifford/Weber intake sounds a lot more like 292 Chevy six parts than GMC stuff I had. At any rate, Have you tried the Inliners International site? You might have some luck there.