Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265003 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3525 on: November 10, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »
Hi, "group";

A Halon 1201 or 1306 extinguisher using an appropriate-sized bottle (ask your rules organization) would be appropriate. The water-foam extinguishers are not something I'd use around an electric propulsion system.

You will probably want a couple of nozzles placed around the battery pack, one or two covering the controller, and one or two in the driver's cockpit. Check the rules.

Have fun, be safe, go fast.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ  B/GMS
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3526 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »
Eagle, welcome to the group.  Read and search the forum to help you get answers... If you can't find what you want then start a thread.... or start a build thread and then ask away... don't forget to include pictures, we love pictures....
Oh, I almost forgot, if you add a lot of extraneous punctuation, most of us, 'cept maybe the comma cop, love that!
Welcome  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3527 on: November 10, 2016, 07:26:04 PM »
Contact Roy Creel the SCTA fire extinguisher system go to guy

cree@antelcom.net
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline MarkT

• New folks
« Reply #3528 on: November 26, 2016, 12:04:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Back in the 1970's my Dad used to fly sailplanes out of the old WWII El Mirage airport just south of the lake bed.  I spent many, many weekends out riding the trails around the airport on my minibike and later motorcycles.  I used to sneak over to the lake bed to see if the races were going on...  and watching them when I could...  never got into LSR but did pretty good with off road racing in the 80's and 90's

A couple of weeks ago I was a guest of Lance Speed Racing at the El Mirage event.  Met a bunch of great people.  A lot of great memories came back and I think I got bitten by the bug to get out and race again!  I've been going through the rulebook and reading everything I can to try and understand the classes and rules...

I also enjoy rebuilding and riding the old Yamaha's we had and wanted as kids so I hope that by next year I'll have picked a class and have a old Yamaha ready to attempt a record run.  I know it will be fun!

Mark

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3529 on: November 26, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »
Mark, Mark!  Quick!  While you've still got a chance, RUN for the hills. . . and not the ones around the salt.  You've got early-stage land racing and if you're not careful you'll end up like us -- broke but happier than we've ever thought we could be behind a steering wheel or set of bars.

Oh, crap - wait a minnit.  You've already been exposed and it's probably too late.

Welcome! :-D :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3530 on: November 26, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
Mark -

There are a lot of racers here with varied backgrounds in NASCAR, SCCA, dirt track, drag racing - LSR is where all of the disciplines merge.  I've often thought that after a career of racing, folks sit around and look at that pile of parts and spares they have left over in the corner of the garage and get to thinking, "I should see how fast they really go."

Find yourself an old RD 350 and join in.

A lot of expertise on these boards - welcome to the greatest brain trust in racing.

I've been to El Mirage twice.  Bought my first rule book at El Mirage in 1993.  Bought the 2016 rule book last September at Elmo, and saw my name in it. 

It's a good feeling.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline MarkT

• New folks
« Reply #3531 on: November 30, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys! 

Another thing that contributed to was a few weeks ago I was up in Southern Utah riding some trails with the Vintage Yamaha Enduro group I belong to...  one of the guys jumps out front and suddenly turns into a private driveway...  WTH? 

Turned out to be Rick Vesco's place.  Highlight of the trip for me.  So yeah... probably too late for me!   :-D

Milwaukee Midget- great El Mirage story...  with a little luck and a lot of hard work hopefully I'll be able to see my name in the book someday!  I actually have a couple of RD350's I need to restore someday but I think I'm going to start out half that size with my all-time favorite old Yamaha...  the 175 Enduro.

Offline C3L1CA

• New folks
« Reply #3532 on: December 05, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
New guy here. I have a 2012 Kawasaki ZX10R that I am trying to get out to the Loring event in Sept of 2017 and hopefully hit 200mph  :-D

It has most basic bolt on modifications I can do to it and not go broke doing it. I currently have it set up for drag racing and this past October it went 8.8 @ 152 which I reached my goal of an 8 on regular pump gas. Hopefully get some headwork done this winter, put the stock swing arm back on it next summer, get a busa front fender and a better windscreen, some race gas and see some of you guys/gals out in Loring in 2017  :cheers:

Looking forward to looking through the forum and hopefully learning lots about setup!

Offline ScrapMagnet

• New folks
« Reply #3533 on: December 10, 2016, 07:49:17 AM »
Hello,

New person here. I'm trying to work out how important suspension travel and rigidity is in relation to running fast on tarmac and sand. Never done this before so I don't know what to expect. I'm not looking for figures or anything too complicated yet, just a general inquiry as to whether a stiff short travel arrangement is better than a squishy long travel type thing in speed events? How level is a beach when you guys do these runs?! I can't get to salt flats due to funds. I build things from pieces I find or can barter for, that's just how I live.

For the record I'm building a multi engined turbo lawnmower as my first ever speed machine because it's silly and even a standard ride on is a hoot! Some new mowers now have suspension so that has set a precedent as far as I'm concerned. I have 90% of the bits accumulated but would like the opinion of you guys before I start figuring out A-arms and spring rates

Thanks and big respect

**should add I'm hoping to run at Pendine next year after receiving an email saying it's ok. Mower is a Westwood T1200 and it will have a conventional blade drive system ala Bobby Clevelands (hero) machine and use Briggs engines.**
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 09:18:23 AM by ScrapMagnet »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3534 on: December 10, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
 ScrapM.... Welcome to Landracing.com
Most of us have not run the Sands, but a few on here have... I think the Lawn Mower Racing Assn record is around 200, so I guess you have a challenge.
Be safe, have fun and go fast  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline ScrapMagnet

• New folks
« Reply #3535 on: December 10, 2016, 12:37:15 PM »
ScrapM.... Welcome to Landracing.com
Most of us have not run the Sands, but a few on here have... I think the Lawn Mower Racing Assn record is around 200, so I guess you have a challenge.
Be safe, have fun and go fast  :cheers:

Thanks Stainless1

I dunno if I'll be setting any records, I'm just out to legally go fast on something that was never meant to! Crikey is it really 200 now? Last time I checked some crazy Austrians had it up to 136 or so with a Corvette engined Stiga thing. To me it isn't a mower unless it has at least one Briggs (Sorry Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda etc  :-D). TBH I'm in it for the fun of making junk go quick. I've got some old 12hps (498cc's each), a few suitable turbos and various carbs, and a selection of car gearboxes to take care of the on the go shifting bit. And a very ratty Westwood T1200 I bought from the small ads for €25 ($27!). I'll gear it high so and see how far I get before the panic sets in!!

I plan to begin building very early in the new year and I'll post up some photos to give you all a laugh.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3536 on: December 10, 2016, 02:40:21 PM »
Look at Mike Cook Shootout threadss 3-5 years ago, he had to cut grass after he set the record... Just don't remember the speed, but I wish mine would cut grass going faster.  :-D
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3537 on: December 10, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Gee, that's a record that we saw being set - lawn mowing and all -- and I don't remember the speed.  Something in the mid 90s, I think.  It was fun to see -- they mounted the mower deck back on the thing after the speed run and tossed some sod (from the gold course, I think it was sourced) on the salt and had the machine make supervised passes so it was clear the thing was mowing.

I've got it memorialised on the Ray the Rat poster from the Shootout that year.  Nish, Spectre, Burkland, Speed Demon - over 400.  Rocky at 394, Jamie Williams and Scott Horner on bikes -- and a frickin' lawnmower! 

(Extra credit question:  We're in a motel near Indy and don't have the poster in front of me.  What other racer is shown on that poster?)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ScrapMagnet

• New folks
« Reply #3538 on: December 11, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »
Look at Mike Cook Shootout threadss 3-5 years ago, he had to cut grass after he set the record... Just don't remember the speed, but I wish mine would cut grass going faster.  :-D

Thanks I'll go find it

I'll be going the fibreglass deck route and leaving it on, maybe a little bit of crafty downforce can be obtained by sculpting them. Not allowed to leave the blade on so no driving it backwards to give me a vacuum underneath unfortunately!

RE: cutting your grass faster, have you considered an extra engine?  :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3539 on: December 11, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
We got home from Indy tonight -- will check out the poster at the shop in the morning.  Patience - is difficult to keep when you're up to your Acura in alligators or something. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com