Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264871 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3510 on: September 15, 2016, 10:41:46 PM »

Speaking of microphones and thread hijacking, I have a Neumann condenser microphone capsule that I bought at a small electronics shop in East Berlin in 1963. I wonder if the museum has one of those?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Depending upon the model that might be a holy relic too. People pay stupid money for some Neumann mics and their parts these days.

Offline colinski6

• New folks
« Reply #3511 on: October 02, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
Hey everyone My name is Colin, I am 23 years old and I live in Washington state. I went to Bonneville for the first time this year (2016) and I enjoyed it a lot, and will very likely be back.

Anyway I joined here because I wanted to ask some questions about different car designs for streamliners, although I will do that elsewhere on the forum.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3512 on: October 02, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
Welcome Colin but be warned, LSR is a disease that can lead to a lifetime of hard work & fun.
Streamliner design ideas are as varied as you will see liners running on the salt plus it also depends on how fast the goal is.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3513 on: October 03, 2016, 05:24:23 AM »
 :cheers:  it is just great to see you young guys dig cars   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3514 on: October 03, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
Sparky meant to say you younger guys dig cars!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3515 on: October 03, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
Woody, you know dang well that form our point of view -- almost EVERYONE is young(er than us).

C'est la vie, which I think means "Last night I slept in the basement" or something. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Letitroll

• New folks
« Reply #3516 on: October 03, 2016, 05:30:32 PM »
Hello all, since I may be lurking here for awhile, I thought it best to introduce myself. I have been riding and racing Motorcycles my entire life (since 5 yrs. old) and have only recently been bitten by the LSR bug. Most of my background is with various forms of dirt riding/racing, and some contacts with various Motorcycle accessory manufactures from my past history with Store ownership and racing. I have spent alot of time over the last 16 years Dual-sport riding in the BlackRock Nevada area, and will be planning on attending my first Bonneville and Whatever other events I can in the Northern 1/2 of the West coast this next year.
Good luck to all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3517 on: October 04, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »
guess I missed the name in the intro, so Leti  :-D you might enjoy riding the mountain area around the flats... plan to spend a couple of days before or after exploring the trails.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Letitroll

• New folks
« Reply #3518 on: October 04, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
guess I missed the name in the intro, so Leti  :-D you might enjoy riding the mountain area around the flats... plan to spend a couple of days before or after exploring the trails.
Thanks for the tip, i think you are right.

Offline forker

• New folks
« Reply #3519 on: October 05, 2016, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi, All

Well, I just lost more than a weekend reading Milwaukee Midget's tome. Spectacular. I used several spridgets (in my youth; not flexible now) as road cars and can scarcely imagine directional stability of one of those on a midly-compliant surface at 125mph, much less 135 or so. Sweaty palms, soles of feet, not breathing or blinking, etc.

Same point for the Kiwis with their A-series/BMW (ironic, that..) effort. Two short-stroke A-series engines as class record holders at the same time using power-units designed at a time of austerity when we could't even afford bearings.

And, you're all so polite! Well done.

I'm UK citizen, JLR employee, was here forever, will one day come to the salt if it's still there. Bits crossed that the local officials don't find a way to mess that up.

regards to all

F
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:52:57 AM by forker »

Offline Volksliner

• New folks
« Reply #3520 on: October 05, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »
Greetings. I am Thom Ollinger from Dayton Ohio. I've been designing, building and racing human powered streamliners for over 20 years. My team and I have decided to apply our extensively laminar airflow designs to powered liners. Our core team is :myself, pro chassis builder, metal shaper, career machinist. My brother Charles, aerodynamicist, engineer. And Lee Berry, engine and transmission. Mr Berry is supplying an air-cooled big bore, stroked, turbo charged VW from his shop. Because of his generosity we are using VW power. Our build is contingent on the ECTA finding a venue to replace the now lost Wilmington course(nearby), but we are confident they will find another course. This should be fun and interesting.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3521 on: October 05, 2016, 10:54:45 PM »
Forker - Thank you for your kind words. 

I admire your patience - I hope your eyesight was not negatively impacted, especially at those times when Fordboy decides to color code and increase font sizes for emphasis.

. . . power-units designed at a time of austerity when we could't even afford bearings.

Given the British tendency to use way too many bolts, I always wondered why the A-series only had 3 main bearings.  Thanks for that insight!

It's my hope the Brexit plan doesn't undercut Jaguar and Land Rover. 

I'm aware that MG/SAIC was planning on exporting to the continent in the future, and now that appears to be clouded.  They just broke 1,000 registrations in Great Britain last month, and the long-term thinking of SAIC was to use MG as a toe-hold for European sales.

If you make it over, let me know - There's always Old Speckled Hen in the cooler.

Yeah - we drink it chilled over here.  A couple of hours on the salt, and you'll understand . . .  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3522 on: October 06, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
Volksliner welcome to the fray... aircooled streamliner... it will be interesting to see how you handle the heat, air in, air out... and can you put it to your advantage... good luck with this project... sounds like fun
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Volksliner

• New folks
« Reply #3523 on: October 07, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
Thanks a lot. We have some pretty good people involved, so it should be exciting.

Offline eagleworksavl

• New folks
« Reply #3524 on: November 10, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
Hi everyone!

We are Eagle Works - an enthusiastic group of undergraduate college students from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Arizona. We are striving to design, build, and race our campus' first electric Class II streamliner at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Our project started in 2014 and we recently began fabrication of our chassis. My teammate and I are in charge of the fire suppression for the vehicle. We've been trying to figure out the best way to implement this system and a friend of ours recommended this forum - so here we are!

This forum seems pretty active and we look forward to getting some tips/advice on where we may look to better understand how to make the best and safest system for our car! Looking forward to hearing from y'all.