Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264926 times)

Offline Eric Knight

• New folks
Re: Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3495 on: September 06, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
Thanks For the warm welcome!!

I reside in Chesterfield Twp, Mi. Between Port Huron and Detroit.

I have crewed on a mini stock team, raced Jeeps and Karts in the 80's and 90's. Fell out of it to start a family.
I just keep lurking and thinking that some day I will get back to racing. Hopefully in a year I might be able to get something together.
Welcome Eric.
Have fun and hope you do get something together.
Regards, Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks Mike!

Going to be ordering the ECTA's rule book and going through it with a fine tooth comb.  I figure that racing with ECTA is a good start, plus its a lot closer to haul to.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

Offline The rookie

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3496 on: September 08, 2016, 01:13:11 AM »
Hello, my name is Roger Allen. I am a road racer turned land speed rookie. I attended speed week and had a blast. I bagged a 181 run on my B license run on a stock hayabusa. What a blast.
I hope to attend El Mirage , 9/11/16 and give that a go.
I'm so happy to be doing this, as it's a great sport, and I am humbled to have met and talked to the nicest people l have encountered in Motorsport anywhere.
Thank you.. I look forward to meeting everyone
Rog out

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #3497 on: September 10, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
The Rookie won't suit you for long at 181 mph :lol: :lol:

Welcome :-) :-) :-)...........and take a peak at the BMST event for maximum runs :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3498 on: September 15, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
Hi folks, I'm Dan Schmalle, a.k.a. Doc B. Not a racer at the moment, but I can attest to the virulence of salt fever after attending BMST 2016.
In real life I am an audio electronics manufacturer and record label owner, bottlehead.com and tapeproject.com. I'm located on Bainbridge Island, WA, across Puget Sound from Seattle. And I was surprised to see WA so well represented at the BMST event.

I brought some gear to the event and shot a little bit of video that I have linked in the BMST section -

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,16287.30.html

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3499 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
Oh, man, Doc B, sir, I've gotta ask.  With a resume like that -- would you happen to be a -- gasp, shock, scare -- a radio ham, wouldja?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3500 on: September 15, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »
I'm just the more typical kind of ham, but know a lot of the radio kind. The kind of equipment I specialize in (single ended tube amps) uses some of the same vacuum tubes that were used in old school ham rigs, and I started in the business 25 years ago doing a lot of radio restorations including old Hallicrafters, Collins, etc. I was the guy that showed up when your Elmer died, to buy all the really old crap that everyone else left in the basement after they pillaged it for his Kenwood gear. The red beast in the vid linked below is made with type 845 audio modulator tubes from the 1930s.

https://www.facebook.com/bottlehead/videos/1062548613780887/

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3501 on: September 15, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
Doc B;

Do you know another fellow who lives on Bainbridge Island- Keith Jefferts? He was a physicist who used to work at Bell Labs in Holmdel, NJ.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3502 on: September 15, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »
I guess I might as well continue to tangent:  Doc, my dad was sales manager for Electro-Voice in the late 50s.  I don't have any of the tube equipment left - but do have a couple of speaker systems from EV.  Ever hear of the company? :roll:  Yes, I DO have both a Cardinal and a Patrician here in the living room -- listening to them right now. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #3503 on: September 15, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »

If either of you are ever in Milwaukee,WI please make a special trip over to Select Sound Service, Milwaukee Midget's place of employment.
The retired owner, Bob Paquette, has created a Microphone Museum but it is MUCH, MUCH more that that! Not only microphones but vintage radio, TV and sound equipment as well.  MANY machines with vacuum tubes everywhere!  
I was there two years ago and Chris arranged for me to meet Bob and have him give me a guided tour of this private museum.
Thoroughly enjoyed the Museum and Mr. Paquette.....Both are VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Here is the link:  

http://www.selectsoundservice.com/museum/gallery

Gregg

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:23:22 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3504 on: September 15, 2016, 08:04:46 PM »
Doc B;

Do you know another fellow who lives on Bainbridge Island- Keith Jefferts? He was a physicist who used to work at Bell Labs in Holmdel, NJ.

I never met Keith, but I certainly know who he was! Nobel prize winner as one of the discoverers of cosmic background radiation, supported the proponents of the big bang theory and created a whole new branch of astronomy. I got a degree in physics in the early 80s, did some study in astrophysics. I believe Keith passed away a couple of years ago. Anyone who worked at Bell Labs back then was typically pretty brilliant. I went to high school with an amazingly intelligent woman who worked there while in college in the mid 70s. I remember her telling me she was working with a group on this idea called cell phones. I thought it was nuts, trying to run a bazillion radiophones thru a zillion repeaters. Who the heck was going to build a bunch of radio towers everywhere?

but do have a couple of speaker systems from EV.  Ever hear of the company? rolleyes  Yes, I DO have both a Cardinal and a Patrician here in the living room -- listening to them right now.

OK, now you're showing off. Those are holy relics to the guys I hang with.

If either of you are ever in Milwaukee,WI please make a special trip over to Select Sound Service, Milwaukee Midget's place of employment.

Oh man, that looks awesome! I spotted a Scully cutting lathe in one image, just like one of my business partners still uses to master LPs.

Speaking of do you know someone, does anyone here know Deszo Molnar?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:12:06 PM by Doc B. »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3505 on: September 15, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »
Doc B., I'll second Gregg's invite, and make it personal.  We're 12 blocks from the Harley-Davidson Museum and in the heart of some of the best Mexican food restaurants north of Dallas.

My dad worked for Collins from 1956 until he retired in '97.  He knew Art, but by that time, they were hot into chasing military and government contracts.  By the time Rockwell took over, the ham stuff was virtually an afterthought.

And please, do visit - not only does it make Bob Sr.'s day to be able to show of the collection - ~ 1400 vintage microphones, record lathes, vintage radio and TV equipment - it keeps him from looking over our shoulders while we're trying to get the work done.  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3506 on: September 15, 2016, 08:18:50 PM »
Thank you so much for the invite! It's looks absolutely scrumptious and I will try to plan an excursion the next time I head to my brother's place in Chicago.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3507 on: September 15, 2016, 08:25:30 PM »
Well, if you think a Patrician in the living room is somethin' fine -- how 'bout getting a pair of these? :-D :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3508 on: September 15, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
Doc B;

Sorry to hear that Keith passed away but I'm not surprised; I had not heard from him since the early nineties. When I worked for NRAO at the 36 foot millimeter-wave radio telescope on Kitt Peak, Keith Jefferts, Arno Penzias, & Bob Wilson used to bring their receivers to observe on it. Keith wasn't awarded the Nobel prize but Arno & Bob were. They were good fellows to work with. Keith was a car guy- he had owned a gull-wing 300SL when he was living back in NY.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3509 on: September 15, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
Chris;

Nice museum! I spotted a rack of ARC-5 transmitters & receivers, a BC-348 receiver, and a bunch of BC-375 tuning units-- among others. Cool stuff.

Speaking of microphones and thread hijacking, I have a Neumann condenser microphone capsule that I bought at a small electronics shop in East Berlin in 1963. I wonder if the museum has one of those?