Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264902 times)

Offline sidecar

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3465 on: July 21, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »
deltadog      a trip to  a bonneville meet would be the first step in understanding what it is all about...! newcomers always welcome to ride along in chase truck and help out in the pit!  sidecar wally

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
« Reply #3466 on: July 21, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
deltadog      a trip to  a bonneville meet would be the first step in understanding what it is all about...! newcomers always welcome to ride along in chase truck and help out in the pit!  sidecar wally
Thank you for the invite I look forward to absorbing as much as I can. I will have to keep my eyes out for upcoming meets and make it work with the job thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Offline 56KHK

• New folks
« Reply #3467 on: August 01, 2016, 01:51:40 AM »
Howdy, my name is Jim Tarleton, and I am building a blown fuel Harley (1956 KHK) to run during speed week in 2017.  I am a retired engineer who always dreamed of running at BSF's, and I live in Burgaw, NC.  

My effort is a minor one compared to most of you guys.  The bike's displacement is 883 ci, and it is a side valve (flathead) engine.  I love the old flathead Harley's, so it was natural for me to run one.  I am enjoying the build, solving one problem after another with the gracious assistance of those who know what they are doing.  I have done 100% of the work except for modification of the carburetor for methanol use, and some minor machine work, including a major splice in the engine cases performed by a friend.  Please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.  I figure the more I learn now, the less of a burden I will be during Speed Week in 2017.

I have no experience except riding hell bent for leather on Harley's all my life, and I was not motivated by the Munro movie, which I watched very recently (didn't know it existed).  I look forward to the experience, and hope to meet as many of you as possible in 2017.

Regards to all,

Jim Tarleton :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:39:53 AM by 56KHK »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3468 on: August 01, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »
Sounds like a nice project, Jim. Attending Speed Week this month would be helpful to find out about how the event is run and it is a chance to meet other Harley racers. Watching the bike inspection process can be very informative- just don't get in the way of the inspectors. Welcome to the Forum.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
« Reply #3469 on: August 01, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Sounds like a nice project, Jim. Attending Speed Week this month would be helpful to find out about how the event is run and it is a chance to meet other Harley racers. Watching the bike inspection process can be very informative- just don't get in the way of the inspectors. Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the welcome

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Offline Deltadog

• New folks
« Reply #3470 on: August 01, 2016, 02:23:13 PM »

Thank you for the welcome

Offline SirDigbyChickenCeasar

• New folks
« Reply #3471 on: August 11, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
Since I'm new here, this seems to be the place for introductions.  Name's Nick, from Colorado, and I'll be leaving Tomorrow night to get my first taste of the salt.  I've been playing with cars and motorcycles all my life, and I really have no excuse for not making it in years past.  Although, in my defense, this same trip was planned the last two years but obviously fell victim to the cancellations. Can't wait to get out there and experience the whole deal, and best of luck to everyone racing! 

Offline TDR

• New folks
« Reply #3472 on: August 12, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
Hi,  My name is Tony Doukas.   If you are into 2 strokes you probably have heard of me.  www.tdrrz.com

Been wanting and semi planning a trip to or to have an entry in the Land Speed races for years.  Looks like 2017 should be at least a start.  As I said 2 strokes are my passion.. Plans are to start with an RZ 350 make sure of what classes I am legal to run and go from there.  I have been over the rules and getting all the parts gathered to start the project.  We race AHRMA and WERA road race series so I am continuously busy keeping 7 race bikes up and running. 

Hope to see the action soon.

Offline Sandmann120

• New folks
« Reply #3473 on: August 12, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »
Hi everybody,  I'm Josh Russell. Been on here for a little while, doing more reading than anything. Currently building hot rods for my day job, and I come from several running blown nitro front-motor cars with my dad.  Hoping to break into land speed now that we've retired the drag team.

I look forward to learning from the folks on the board, and hope to see you all on the salt someday. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3474 on: August 12, 2016, 11:29:03 PM »
Welcome Josh. You'll have a great time here.
Regards, Mike. :cheers:

Offline The rookie

• New folks
« Reply #3475 on: August 26, 2016, 01:12:08 AM »
 :dhorse:hi racers. I, The Rookie, Roger Allen, would like to thank Shane San Miguel for helping me ride the salt, a goal I have hoped to achieve since I learned of Bonneville as a young boy. I have to say that Shane is a true ambassador of land speed racing, of motorcycling, a class act, And I am very grateful for his generous help in getting me started at Bonneville during speed week.
I am a motorcyclist thru and thru, and I felt such a kinship with everyone I met at speed week, ponytail Bob, Clay McKinley, Jill Shannon(your wonderful) Scott Horner of Heads Up Racing, everyone made me feel at home and at ease, and I am so grateful for this experience.
I came to Bonneville with hopes of licensing up and left with a mind blowing game changing experience.
I am a Sacramento native but Bonneville is my new home.
I thank god for such a beautiful place, for motorcycles, and the desire to go fast.

Rog out.

Offline soonerbillz

• New folks
    • Soonerbillz.com
« Reply #3476 on: August 30, 2016, 09:07:17 AM »
Hello...
 My name is Scott.. I am a OFG here in green Country in eastern Oklahoma.
I'm in my late 50's... married for 35+ years and have 3 grown kids and a few grandkids...
Been a mechanic, welder..builder of various wheeled contraptions for many years. Been involved in motorcycle racing of all kinds since I was a kid, enduros, a little MX.. dragged a couple of seasons back in the day... both cars and bikes. I have more recently have been doing road racing in the lightweight classes for a few years.. the last two years in endurance series.
I write a little... do some web stuff and generally like to have fun in all kinds of motorsports..
 I have looked at land speed racing from a distance and always liked the idea.. but alas I have never done anything further than that to date.
 I have a buddy in Sweden who is huge in the LSR on ice over there.. I wrote a little piece on him and over the last few years have had a growing appreciation for the sport. While I love my road work.. and will always be involved to some degree (and the fact that I'm getting older and the kids in road racing are getting younger and faster...lol) I have been toying with the idea of doing some drag racing again.. and maybe get involved in the LSR thing.. I would love to put a machine on the salt.. do some speed events over the next few years... right now it's baby steps.. joining this site.. getting the rule books and just looking at where I want and do fit in....
I love building race bikes and cars.. I have a fully capable shop..
 My biggest hurdle that I see is my location.. it's just not a short hop to locations where this stuff is happening.. and in Claremore.. it's all about sprint cars and dirt tracks.. which I like but it's not what really spins me..mostly.. I see the Texas Mile series is available.. and likely where I'l get started in... It's the closest to me that I know about...so..
I can already feel my wallet getting lighter... like always..lol!
 So hello and thanks for letting me come in and learn...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:29:59 AM by soonerbillz »

Offline Eric Knight

• New folks
« Reply #3477 on: August 30, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »
Hello from the "Enchanted Mitten" AKA Michigan!

47, Married with 2 boys who are keeping me on my toes at all times!

Wire EDM machinist by day, Daydreaming of attending any one of the events held a Bonneville!

Hope to one day have a car to run but that won't be for a while, So I will just keep up on the builds and other happenings

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3478 on: August 30, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
Welcome to the LSR forum, Eric & Scott. The hardest part of a build is just getting started.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3479 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
Welcome ... suggest you list a location ... this is a diverse group from many places and quick to help each other.

Joe