Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265031 times)

Offline Mr. Schimstock

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3315 on: April 06, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Martin Schimke, aka Mr. Schimstock.  A Mech Engineer by day and hotrodder/tinkerer by night.

I'm old enough to know better but young enough to try it anyway.   

I've dreamed about the Bonneville since i was in high school. Finally made the trip from Wisconsin in 2013 and got bit by the bug.  Right now I'm just learning and planning.  Hopefully I'll be able to become a participant in 2018 with an XO Lakester. Lots to figure out and lots to do between now and then.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3316 on: April 06, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
Welcome, Schimstock-- buy at least one rule book and read it over & over. Post pictures of your project. BTW, fill out your profile or SS will do it for you  :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3317 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Martin Schimke, aka Mr. Schimstock.  A Mech Engineer by day and hotrodder/tinkerer by night.

I'm old enough to know better but young enough to try it anyway.   

I've dreamed about the Bonneville since i was in high school. Finally made the trip from Wisconsin in 2013 and got bit by the bug.  Right now I'm just learning and planning.  Hopefully I'll be able to become a participant in 2018 with an XO Lakester. Lots to figure out and lots to do between now and then.

Mr. Schimstock,

If you are in the greater Milwaukee area, Chris Conrad is hosting the Milwaukee area MG Car Club this Saturday.   His I/GT record holder will be on display, if you are into doorslammers.     He is Milwaukee Midget on this forum and has an extensive build diary.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #3318 on: April 06, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »
Fordboy,

I'm a bit further north.  I do make it down to Milwaukee every once in a while. 

Mr. Schimstock
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3319 on: April 06, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »
Another time then.

Welcome to the forum.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline DennisMcQ

• New folks
    • Setting a land speed record for a wood gas fueled vehicle
« Reply #3320 on: April 13, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
Greetings y'all --

My name is Dennis McQuerry. I'm a retired research scientist who worked at the Pacific Northwest National Lab since 1980 -- initially at their Marine Sciences Lab in Sequim, WA, then at the main facility here in Richland, WA for the past 30 years. I grew up in Palo Alto, CA and moved to the Olympic Peninsula with my wife after a brief trip to Vietnam (72-73) and a bit of grad school.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to speed racing. I was directed to this site by my friend, MiltonP, of Oxcart Racing. And to be entirely honest, my interest in speed racing is probably a bit different from most of you. I'm producing a documentary on the gasification of biomass. As a demonstration of the technology -- and in an attempt to keep the film moderately interesting -- I'm hoping to set a new land speed record for a gasifier-fueled vehicle.  In order to fund that effort, I'm resorting to Kickstarter.com in the hope that we can raise $26K to cover production costs and vehicle upgrades. If you're curious about the project, I'd encourage you to take a look at the short video on the Kickstarter link at the bottom of this post.

As you're aware, there are currently no official classes for gasifier-fueled vehicles. But I've been told I can run in the 130 class at WOS, and get a few timing slips to prove I've done it. So nothing "official", but that's the current state of gasifier-fueled records, unless I want to pay the nice folks at Guinness $5K to be present. The current (unofficial) record for a gasifier-fueled vehicle is 73 MPH, set a couple years ago by Wayne Keith of Alabama.

The vehicle my team and I will be using is a 4-cyl Ford Ranger pickup, which in it's current naturally aspirated state will go a walloping 48 MPH.  The wood gas produced in the gasifier reactor is a low BTU gaseous fuel, so this is pretty typical performance for a small displacement engine. In order to improve performance, the vehicle is being modified for us by a team of students and their talented and generous instructor (Nolan Koreski) at the Lake Washington Institute of Technology in Seattle. He's had a group of students in his Vehicle Performance class install a pair of super-chargers and replace the gasifier throttle body with a spacer to accommodate fuel injectors. Typically, gasifier fueled vehicles such as this are started on gasoline then switched to wood gas, once the gasifier reactor is up to operating temperature. So there are some interesting challenges associated with controlling the injectors, installing bypass valves for the super chargers when running on gasoline, etc. The students are very enthusiastic, and learning a lot in the process of working on this project.

I'll just mention that we're a bit anxious about getting this effort funded on Kickstarter, since it's an all-or-nothing crowd-funding service. That means that if we don't get pledges to cover the entire $26K, we'll get nothing. So any ideas any of you may have for ways in which we can raise more $$ for this effort would be most welcome.  And for that matter, I'd urge you all to take a look at our Kickstarter page see what you think -- and maybe back us for a few bucks.  Thanks! McQ

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1988320247/green-dragon-setting-a-carbon-neutral-land-speed-r

Offline devilgarageco

• New folks
    • Devil Garage Co.
« Reply #3321 on: April 16, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »
Hello,

28 YO Owner/Operator of a small shop in Seattle specializing in vintage Triumphs. Getting in to the land speed racing game. Shooting for Bonneville 2016. Looking forward to gaining some knowledge.

:evil:

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #3322 on: April 17, 2015, 12:19:40 AM »
Hello,

28 YO Owner/Operator of a small shop in Seattle specializing in vintage Triumphs. Getting in to the land speed racing game. Shooting for Bonneville 2016. Looking forward to gaining some knowledge.

:evil:

I suspect you are the fella my engine builder, Mike V., mentioned, yes?

Lots of nice folk here. Lots of knowledge, too!
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline devilgarageco

• New folks
    • Devil Garage Co.
« Reply #3323 on: April 17, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
Possibly, name doesn't ring a bell though.

Offline Woodyedmiston

• New folks
« Reply #3324 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »
Well,
I have no pedigree like some of you.  Dirt tracks and drag strip since '62.  More mechanic than driver so I helped a friend on his formula ford, worked in a muffler shop and we had both a flathead '32 ford coupe in G/Gas and then a dirt car with a straight six at a track with rather loose rules.  By 80s I was Team Manager for a professional Datsun/Nissan 280zx Turbo in Trands Am based in San Jose, Ca.  Lots of work and travel by 91 I decided to move to Texas and buy a house.  So now I work only on my truck.

Recently I picked up the copy of Hot Rod that did a retrospective on many of the more famous Salt Flats hot rods that were in a big show.  Great stuff.  Then I saw Barry McGuire on Car Crazy who said anyone who called himself a hot rodder should go to Bonneville.  That was maybe 10 days ago . . .

I started thinking about it and now I've ordered the rule book, would have bought tickets but they aren't for sale yet. Pulled out my charts on altitude and turbo maps to figure if this twin turbo motor I've been working on for my truck would turn a 30in tire . . . In short more car dreaming than I've done in years.

See you in Bonneville....unless you are going to the US Mile in Houston. 

Woody

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3325 on: April 30, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »
Pedigree? I don't have one and neither does my dog.  :-D

Offline d55guy

• New folks
« Reply #3326 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
Hello All,
  My name is Kerry Manning and I am looking to build an AWD electric S10 for the flats.  A bit of background on me I am a Mechanical Engineer with a aerospace and solar background.  I know that there is no class for what I am building but I I have exchanged a few emails with Dan Wright and I will just be running for time only because it sounds like fun.  I have built 10 vehicles over the years (mostly road racers and rock crawlers) and 5 of them are EVs.  I find I enjoy building cars as much as driving them. My plan right now is to run this year in the 150 club and see how I like it before I go whole hog at trying to go faster.  I have taken the twin motor powertrain out of my track rat miata and coupling it to a 600hp watercooled battery pack I am building for the salt.

I am planning on being out there for the test n tune in July to help with the tech and pick up some pointers along the way so I hope to meet some of you then.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3327 on: May 09, 2015, 11:46:49 PM »
Welcome, actually there is a class for you to run your S10. All electric vehicles are classed on a weight basis.

Class I   under 1099 lb
Class II  1100-2200 lb
Class III 2201 lb and over

Records are 204, 214, 314 respectively

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Nemosengineer

• New folks
« Reply #3328 on: May 16, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Hi,
My name is Mike and I have a motorcycle addiction. I am a R&D lab rat for a major manufacturer of industrial gas turbine engines. I can thank my co workers for getting me involved in land speed racing as some are very active and some are up to their eyeballs in build projects.
My personal plan is to run for fun at El Mirage (everyone says that  :wink:) in MP/G 1650 with a street legal Harley Super Glide, I hope to run at least 50 mph slower than the class record, and have a ton of fun doing it. The target was to have the bike ready 3 months ago, now the plan is to run as a guest before the end of the season. I am looking forward to all the great information this site has to offer.

Best Wishes: Mike

Offline Nemosengineer

• New folks
« Reply #3329 on: May 16, 2015, 09:22:35 PM »
Hi,
My name is Mike and I have a motorcycle addiction. I am a R&D lab rat for a major manufacturer of industrial gas turbine engines. I can thank my co workers for getting me involved in land speed racing as some are very active and some are up to their eyeballs in build projects.
My personal plan is to run for fun at El Mirage (everyone says that  :wink:) in MP/G 1650 with a street legal Harley Super Glide, I hope to run at least 50 mph slower than the class record, and have a ton of fun doing it. The target was to have the bike ready 3 months ago, now the plan is to run as a guest before the end of the season. I am looking forward to all the great information this site has to offer.

Best Wishes: Mike

I hate to quote myself but I just learned I have to run in "Altered" (AP/G-1650) at El Mirage, joining the site is paying off already. :-)