Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265006 times)

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3270 on: March 01, 2015, 06:45:12 PM »
And to specifiy, I live right on the L. Michigan coast by the Silver Lake Dunes.

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #3271 on: March 03, 2015, 01:58:38 AM »
Hi all! My name is Chris. I'm also from Michigan. I've been to Wendover a handful of times thru the last decade. My father (who is the owner of the car I will be talking about) is the guy who has been taking me to the salt flats and he's the greatest guy in the world. We started going out there just to observe. We eventually hooked up with a group of guys who showed us the ropes. We helped where we could. It has been a great experience. A couple of years ago, we made it out there with our own car. It didn't go well. Sadly, we didn't make it onto the salt. Tech inspection wasn't fond of our roll cage diameter. It was hurtful, but I think it was a great learning experience. The lesson was not a cheap lesson to learn, but it has encouraged me to try to see to it that our new car is in PERFECT order when SpeedWeek2015 rolls around. I'm proud of my dad and he has been the greatest guy I've ever met. He's always treated me well. He's always been there for me. I hope I can help him with his car and help him achieve his goals. He deserves it. I hope that you guys can maybe help me figure out a few small things that he hasn't thought of yet.

Offline AussieT

• New folks
  • Spanner Monkey
« Reply #3272 on: March 03, 2015, 02:41:33 AM »
Hi All, Shawn from Australia saying g'day. Have been reading some of the topics, what a great site so far. Hope to talk to you all more over the duration.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3273 on: March 03, 2015, 05:05:46 AM »
Hi all! My name is Chris. I'm also from Michigan. I've been to Wendover a handful of times thru the last decade. My father (who is the owner of the car I will be talking about) is the guy who has been taking me to the salt flats and he's the greatest guy in the world. We started going out there just to observe. We eventually hooked up with a group of guys who showed us the ropes. We helped where we could. It has been a great experience. A couple of years ago, we made it out there with our own car. It didn't go well. Sadly, we didn't make it onto the salt. Tech inspection wasn't fond of our roll cage diameter. It was hurtful, but I think it was a great learning experience. The lesson was not a cheap lesson to learn, but it has encouraged me to try to see to it that our new car is in PERFECT order when SpeedWeek2015 rolls around. I'm proud of my dad and he has been the greatest guy I've ever met. He's always treated me well. He's always been there for me. I hope I can help him with his car and help him achieve his goals. He deserves it. I hope that you guys can maybe help me figure out a few small things that he hasn't thought of yet.

Do you have a rule book Chris? It sounds like you didn't have one when you made your first attempt or at least you didn't read the relevant parts of it. It's the key to the whole system. Read the rule book forward, backward and sideways, then if you have any questions you can ask them here and often you'll get a recommendation to refer the question to the relevant official for the class. He's the final judge of what you can and can't do. They tend to be very helpful people.

Good luck with your build. We always look forward to pictures and often someone looking at your build will spot something and offer helpful advice.

Pete

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3274 on: March 03, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
One of the traps folks occasionally fall into is that they have a good car with a cage that meets NHRA or SCCA or some other sanctioning body specs. Frequently either diameter or thickness of these "legal" cages does not meet SCTA specs and you get dinged. It is too bad especially for a car that the owner/driver knows won't run the number first time out in the class but you have to meet the specs for the class record whether you can get close to it or not. An expensive lesson as we all know how much it costs to just drive to the salt and home for fuel, lodging, food etc and how disappointing to turn around and go home- sorta like speedweek last August.  Anyway, Pete has given the appropriate advice- study the rule book until your eyes cross, ask questions here (though answers will be "unofficial" they will be valuable. For "official" answers, look up  the proper official in the rule book and ask them. If not sure who to ask, folks here can point you in right direction. Welcome, have fun, be safe! Go fast! :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3275 on: March 03, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
Chris, I like to say that you should get three copies of the rulebook.  One for the shop, one for the living room, and one for the back of the toilet.  Trust me -- all three will get plenty of use. :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #3276 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
Yes, Pete. I have a rule book. Thank you for your response. I have rule books for multiples of years. I think Seldom Seen Slim has the right idea. I need to keep a rulebook on the back of the toilet, taped to the car, in my kitchen, under my pillow, and anywhere else I can think of. I will order a few more. The mistake that was made was the one you all pointed out. I/we should have gone thru the book page by page while standing next to the car and making sure the car met every spec of the book. One of the reasons we didn't do that is: When we bought the car, we were told it was "up to specs" for running out there. It had run out there in years previous. Sadly, because we were not the owners of the vehicle when the rules changed for roll cage diameter, we were not "grandfathered" in. Had we owned the car a little sooner.... Maybe we could have gotten by. Either way, you guys are 100% correct. We didn't do our due diligence. It was a heart break, but you guys know it's not a new story. People get disqualified for things they (I) could have avoided. It happens every year.

Yes Jacksoni. It sounds like what you said about last years track issues is kind of similar to our trials and tribulations. Everybody showed up and they were turned away. Very sad. My dad attended last year (not competing), but I stayed home because I had to work. He was also disappointed with the track being rained out. I appreciate your feedback. I have a feeling that this forum will closely resemble the spirit of Bonneville. Everybody is always welcoming and willing to help.

I'm from mid-Michigan. Is there anybody here close enough to the mid-Michigan area with experience with Lakesters like ours? Our car is essentially a dragster frame (chromemoly) with the spindles changed out on the front end to more closely match what is used by sprint car racers. The engine is an old Chevy small block at 305ci (naturally aspirated. gas). It is coupled to a 2-speed Powerglide Trans. Honestly, my knowledge of this type of stuff does not extend very far. I just hope that I can help get this car "salt worthy" for 2015. Thanks for listening. Thanks for the feedback. I will do my best to make sure the car is ready the next time we show up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:39:36 AM by TugBoat123 »

Offline motormitch

• New folks
« Reply #3277 on: March 04, 2015, 07:12:37 AM »
Motormitch here.

My company (Blood Shed Motors) has built an all electric 1968 Mustang Fast called the Zombie 222 that is insanely quick with a 0-60 time of 2.4 seconds. I am now going to run the Texas Mile to attempt to prove the car can also go fast. I am facing unique challenges due to the unusual power characteristics  of electric drive that seem to align more closely with LSR than drag racing so I am coming here for help. My car can produce 800 HP and 1800 lb.ft. or torque at low RPMs, but drops off quickly above 2200 RPM and stops pushing hard at 3500 rpm. It acts more like a diesel than a gas engine.  

Keeping the RPM low is what I have to do to get max power. There is no transmission. Forward and reverse are done with contactors.
I am running a ford 9" strange pro center section with a 2.47 ring and pinion combined with a gear vendor over drive. This give me a top speed of 135 or so. To attempt to hit 170 I ordered another gear vendor to stack them giving me a final drive to the rear of .6. This is a very expensive and heavy way to lower my rpms while increasing speed. What I really need and a ring and pinion that is taller than 2.47. I can;t seen to find anything even though I have heard rumors that Ford once made a 2.32? I have been told to reverse a gear box, go to a quick change rear end, have a custom ring and pinion made etc..

I decide this HAD to the be place to get real help. I have a very expensive 3 link floating Ford 9" with watts bar and coil over suspension, strange center section, no transmission and a currently a single gear vendors OD which changes my 1:1 motor final drive to a .778.

Help and guidance are needed......
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:14:09 AM by motormitch »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3278 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »
Hey, Mitch -  Welcome aboard!

Okay, you're in a situation where not only are you fighting quickly diminishing HP and aero drag, but your chosen venue is only a mile long.

It's going to be overcoming the rolling resistance, wind resistance and parasitic losses, which the 9" is hurting you with.

Figuring 24 sq ft of frontal area, a .4 drag coefficient and 30" tires, at about 3500 lbs - and I suspect you'd have to have Lithium batteries to get the weight that low - the Wallace racing calculator tells me you'll need about 340 hp to make that all go 170.

Assuming peak hp at 2200 - the point you mentioned it really starts to fall off, and assuming a 30" tire, you're looking at about a 1.2 rear end to make it all go 170 at peak power.  If the motor is still producing 340 hp with a 1.8 rear @3500, you'd be there as well.

Are you basing your 800 horsepower on the battery packs which are in the car, or outside power supplies?  You're talking about 600 kilowatts output vs what you'd need to achieve that on the input side with an electric motor.  That's a lot of copper and batteries - about the equivalent of 15 Generac whole house backup generators.  

You don't have a graph of your horsepower output, do you?

But if your hp is dropping precipitously - and it sounds like it is - making that speed in only a mile might be a problem without a transmission.

Interesting project.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:21:34 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BarryA

• New folks
« Reply #3279 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
Barry from Cape Town, South Africa>
I've been attending the Kalahari Desert Speedweek since its inception in 2012. Have to say I am hooked!
My little scratch-built lakes roadster ran 206km/h (about 128mph) last year pretty easily, and felt really solid and stable. That was with a 307 SBC, and so immediately I started looking at ways to run faster. I have a 350 that I got in a swap a couple of years back - on opening it up recently we found it has some pretty neat (and expensive) bits inside. So a plan is being made to drop it in and see what we can get to. I realise that there are going to be many other things to look at on the car, so I plan on digging around the old threads on here and will probably have a bunch of questions as I go....
The laws of physics do allow it, but they don't encourage it....

Offline lagoman

• New folks
  • Just A Gearhead
« Reply #3280 on: March 08, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
Hello all.
New to forum and looking for info.
First off I'm not a car owner, but have been a gearhead all my life, starting at Lions Drag Strip way back when.
Going to the salt flats has always been on my bucket list and this is the year.
But researching dates on the web has me confused.
Can someone tell me the difference between " World of Speed " and " Speed Week "?
Is one better than the other? Are the cars different?
Just looking for some guidance.
I'm sure everyone has a different opinion, I'll take what I can get.
Thanks to all that reply.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3281 on: March 08, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
Lagoman, it would help if you give us a little more info on yourself, like a name and the city you live in. All events at Bonneville are good, speed week is the largest, World finals and world of speed are the two major. Please go to the members page and update it. Enjoy the forum and your trip to the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3282 on: March 08, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
There are a number of events on the salt flats;

Speed week, AMA Motorcycle Speed Trials, World of Speed, Cooks Shootout, World Finals

Joe

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3283 on: March 08, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
There are a number of events on the salt flats;

Speed week, AMA Motorcycle Speed Trials, World of Speed, Cooks Shootout, World Finals

Joe
Also check here for dates and more info: Check for exact dates on the various websites
http://www.scta-bni.org/ for Speedweek (2nd week August) and World Finals (End of September more or less)
https://www.facebook.com/SCTASouthernCaliforniaTimingAssociation
https://www.facebook.com/pages/landracingcom/536754913092376
http://bonnevillespeedtrials.com/
http://www.saltflats.com/  - for World of Speed.
http://www.landspeedevents.com/   Cook shootout is semi (maybe totally)invitational for the Fast 300+ cars and bikes, certainly over 200 and hope for the 400+ cars.

By Far Speedweek is biggest but hotel rooms are hard to come by and expensive
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3284 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
If you want the biggest, with the most vehicle variety I would say SpeedWeek, and since you are filling your bucket, you should expect for it to be the most expensive to attend... it is not the organizer that will get your money, actually the hotels will. 
The week of spectating at the salt will cost you less than $10 bucks a day.
The other venues are smaller, and the hotels are less expensive for those.  If you are a well known gambler you might get a break on the room.
Come out and have a good time.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O