Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264868 times)

Offline sprocketwerx

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3255 on: February 01, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »
Hi, I'm Sprocket.
I've been involved in drag racing and motorcycles for a long time, always loved LSR and the ingenuity over cubic dollars brand of racing.
I'm planning a project for next year and look forward to learning the ins and outs as I get closer to my first attempt.

Offline SpeedThrills

• New folks
« Reply #3256 on: February 14, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »
Hi Everyone,  I'm a life-long car freak mostly involved in street cars and drag racing.  I've always had an interest in "How fast will it go", kind of stuff.  Only recently have I come across east coast opportunities to go "all out" (I live in Jersey).  I never saw myself doing it though, as I live 1 1/2 hrs. from Atco Dragway, and it's easy to go there.
Recently, I was walking through a nice neighborhood in Bronx NY, after parking my car.  I live in verrrry south New Jersey, but was visiting my step daughter.  I happened to see a car in a driveway that was streamlined with sheetmetal and rivets.  It turned to be owned by forum member Gary Perkinson.  We talked for a good 15 minutes and I could've talked more.  
Drag racing has taught me that the car you own may not be the car to build.  I have an 87 Mustang which is very much a street/strip car.  I also own a 74 Dodge Dart Sport.  It is a rust free "core".  I have a modified 360, 727 trans, 4spd, and a 9" Ford rear sitting in the garage. (I'm thinking the 4spd would be a better choice?) I'm going to hang out here and see if the Dart is worth building.  I plan on keeping it street legal, but intended for LSR.  But, I'm very green and at this point, I don't know if that is practical/feasible.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:38:39 PM by SpeedThrills »
"Sweet music, the internal combustion orchestra."

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3257 on: February 15, 2015, 05:53:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,  I'm a life-long car freak mostly involved in street cars and drag racing.  I've always had an interest in "How fast will it go", kind of stuff.  Only recently have I come across east coast opportunities to go "all out" (I live in Jersey).  I never saw myself doing it though, as I live 1 1/2 hrs. from Atco Dragway, and it's easy to go there.
Recently, I was walking through a nice neighborhood in Bronx NY, after parking my car.  I live in verrrry south New Jersey, but was visiting my step daughter.  I happened to see a car in a driveway that was streamlined with sheetmetal and rivets.  It turned to be owned by forum member Gary Perkinson.  We talked for a good 15 minutes and I could've talked more.  
Drag racing has taught me that the car you own may not be the car to build.  I have an 87 Mustang which is very much a street/strip car.  I also own a 74 Dodge Dart Sport.  It is a rust free "core".  I have a modified 360, 727 trans, 4spd, and a 9" Ford rear sitting in the garage. (I'm thinking the 4spd would be a better choice?) I'm going to hang out here and see if the Dart is worth building.  I plan on keeping it street legal, but intended for LSR.  But, I'm very green and at this point, I don't know if that is practical/feasible.

Hi SpeedThrills,

Welcome to the forum!   You will find lots of help here.   Lots of guys build dual purpose cars, just to get out on the salt and run.   If you get the bug to be competitive in a class though, a dual purpose car might not fit the bill.

If you only have the resources for one build, think it through before starting the project.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3258 on: February 15, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »

ECTA has classes that "require" street legality and would be good place to start. Wilmington is range of 500 miles from you (I live in Maryland so sorta similar for you I'd guess) Doable day trip and best place for you to start. USFRA has the 130 and 150mph "clubs" that allow streetable cars. Lets you get a taste for the salt. Warning, once you get a "taste for the salt" it is tough to give it up. Sorta like breathing.  :roll: Dual purpose/streetable become really a no go when you start talking SCTA, speedweek etc even knowing you won't be close to a record as the car must be built to the record speed and the safety requirements really mean chopping up a car pretty much. Suggestions made here before so not original by me are go to meets, talk to racers, take your street strip to Wilmington or Loring- after carefullu reading the rule book a bunch of times and be sure you want to pursue. Then build your salt car as a racer only. I started in 1979, am on my 4th car and have made over 20 trips to Bonneville. About 6000 miles by time I get done. Like I said, giving up "the Salt" is like giving up breathing. Have fun, be safe.  :-D

See also: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14817.msg269855/topicseen.html#msg269855
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:09:36 AM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3259 on: February 15, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
SpeedThrills:  As they've already said -- welcome to the Forum.  You'll find a bunch of folks here that almost universally want to help you be safe, enjoy yourself, and go fast.

First of all -- either you or I will put your location in the registration profile.  I'd suggest you do it -- else I'll have fun and put you in a location that's silly and fun, too.

Second of all -- please get in touch with Joe Timney.  He owns and operates Delaware Chassis Works in Townsend, Delaware.  He's the recently-resigned president of the East Coast Timing Acura'n and will give you about as close as possible good advice on your ride no matter how you think you want to go.  He builds 'em -- and also seems pretty danged happy helping others even when it does not generate business for his shop.  He's on this Forum and goes by the unusual online name of "Joe Timney".

Unh, back to your location.  Isn't Jersey and island somewhere in the neighborhood of Britain?  That's probably where you'll live if you don't get there first. :evil:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:02:00 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3260 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:08 AM »
HA Jon your filter got you
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SpeedThrills

• New folks
« Reply #3261 on: February 15, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, folks.  I should've mentioned that I take a long time to do things.  I bought my (87) Mustang new, and I'm not quite done!  I don't have the means to build a purpose built car.  I'm thinking of building my Dart as a road trip car that I would run purely for fun. 
One issue, I put in 1.2 million miles in a tractor trailer, and that has taken away just about all desire to drive any distances.  The highway is one of the most dangerous places you can be.  The hotrodder in me is trying to break out again.  Gonna take a little time.
 :cheers: 
"Sweet music, the internal combustion orchestra."

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3262 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »
Welcome SpeedThrills.

Mike. :cheers:

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
« Reply #3263 on: March 01, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
Hello all, Ford mechanic and soon to be a Ford Parts-guy from the frozen North (West Michigan!)  I've been considering building something to take to Bonneville for a long time, my hope now is that NOT working on cars full time will help re-build my motivation to play with cars in my spare time.  Kinda been thinking about something in the Mini-truck classes, not sure what direction I want to go yet. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #3264 on: March 01, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
The F/BMMP record is not yet 200 MPH, the club has a 205 minimum set though.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
« Reply #3265 on: March 01, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
the club has a 205 minimum set though.

DW
Showing my inexperience & newness... lost me a little on that.  Been looking at supercharging a 4.0 SOHC Ranger and seeing what I can do w/ that in the E/BMMP class

Offline dw230

« Reply #3266 on: March 01, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
You can do what you want. An open record(unlisted) is open. Two passes will make you a hero. If you want to wear a new red hat you will have to exceed 210 for a two run average. I erred on my previous post, I just checked on the 200 MPH Club web site and found the 210 minimum.

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
« Reply #3267 on: March 01, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »
OK, I got ya now.   :-D  Still not sure what route I'll go, I'm still planning this all in my head.  Thanks!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3268 on: March 01, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »
Well -- someone from Michigan.  I have to ask -- where?  I like to think that Nancy and I live in the west part of the state -- since we're a little bit west of Chicagoland, in Skandia -- a tiny town near Marquette.  And as for the frozen north -- again, where are you?

Whatever your home town, welcome to the Forum.  it's good to have someone else from this state in the group.  There are a few other fools hardy folks with the same home affliction - so don't worry, you'll have people that understand.

And then there's Dan Warner, telling you about the trials and tribulations of getting a Red Hat.  He's the president of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club, a very prestige-laden group of racers that have set records at or above 200 MPH at Bonneville.  It's a fine idea to have a target, or goal, when you start.  Some folks make it to the Club in a year or two -- some try for 20 years.  But as long as you've got a goal you'll have a blast the whole time.  And you'll meet a wonderful family of racers that are, to a man, willing to help you attain that goals.  (Usually) even when the goal is breaking a record that they hold.

Don't be a stranger.  Read this forum lots, ask questions, don't worry about asking goofy newbie questions -- you'll still get answers.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rjwerner

• New folks
« Reply #3269 on: March 01, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »
Ahh, Marquette!  I lived there for a short time when I was in college (Northern) before I returned to "that other" Michigan; yes, I am a "troll."  Beautiful country, but the winters......   Not that we've been basking in sunshine here the last few years either, but you Yoopers are TOUGH man. 

As far as a goal, I see this as a two (I win the lottery!!!) to a five year (more realistic) plan.  Long story short, I'd like to be competitive in five years if not before.  Right now I'm just trying to sort out the best way to get there; what class, what engine, what chassis/vehicle, etc...