Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264939 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3225 on: November 20, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »
Hey, hey -- another racer from Michigan (even if you're about as far from Skandia as you can be and still be a part of the Great Lake State :-D).  Welcome, Joe.  Thanks for joining up, and don't worry if you don't think you've got much time to post and show us a good and comprehensive build diary.  With any luck at all you'll get so interested in what you're doing and seeing the help that'll proceed towards you from the forum -- you'll be here frequently.

Welcome to landracing.com and our Forum. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #3226 on: November 20, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
Joe, Welcome to the madness.  :-D  :cheers:

You did get a good car! I saw this car do the 170's back in June.

Glad to hear it's going back to Ford power!  :cheers:

From the June picture post thread:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,13983.0.html

I take so-so pictures and post them so folks can see the cars that are racing. I also do an internet audio stream of the FM broadcast of announcer, Brian Lohnes.

Again, Welcome,

Gregg Adams

Offline jake.wilson.5439

• New folks
« Reply #3227 on: November 23, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
Hello,
Im originally from Indianapolis IN.  Was a crew member on a couple of of roundy rounders.  Many moves later, family, and work I live in Tennessee.  The bug has bit me again. 

Offline Catfishdog

• New folks
« Reply #3228 on: November 24, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is fernando, I am from Miami Florida. I've had this car sickness for the last 42 years well at least since I can remember. I have always been fascinated speed, specially those who do it on top of the salt. I am finally at a stage in my life where I can build the car that is not for a quarter-mile, but rather top and speed on the salt flats. I am looking forward to this form and should you ever find yourself in Miami look me up I'm always up for a good beer and Cartalk

Offline Salt Rattler

• New folks
« Reply #3229 on: November 26, 2014, 06:39:45 PM »
I'm Tom Collier, running a turbocharged Harley Sportster, #1171, M-PBG/F 1350.  I was a rookie this year at WOS, managed to qualify for a D license, and unofficially hit 146.9 before having to shut down due to my shift linkage coming loose  :oops:  I'm really excited about next year and will attempt to run at Bub's as well as WOS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3230 on: November 29, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
Welcome guys.... get rule books and have fun.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ChassisWorks

• New folks
« Reply #3231 on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:22 AM »
Hi Everybody,

Now that I'm retired and settled down I'm spending more time with my hotrods and other old cars.

I've raced NHRA Drags, USAC and NASCAR in Midgets and Late Model Stocks. I'm a retired welder and machinist.  

I've been to the Salt Flats as a spectator several times over the years on my vacations. I loved every minute of it.

I've wanted to build and run a Lakester and a Streamliner at the Bonneville Salt Flats every since I saw the movie "The Lively Set" at the drive-in when I was a kid. What a great movie.
Does anyone here remember "The Lively Set"?

Designing and building my own vehicle to run at the Salt has been a dream of mine ... more like a passion that has grown over the years. I guess there's no better time than the present to get started. I'd like to build a Lakester to run at the Salt and the Dry Lakes.

After poking around a little here I liked what I read on the forums so I decided to join you guys.

Anything you guys can share with me on how to get started in the Lakester Class would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:16:46 AM by ChassisWorks »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3232 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:25 AM »
Welcome ChassisWorks.
As you'll find out, this is an awesome forum with great members.
Enjoy the stay.

Mike.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3233 on: December 02, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
    Welcome aboard CW!  Good choice on the Lakester class for a build, basic class rules let you concentrate on the important ones - safety.

#1 get a rule book and study, study, study.  New '15's won't be available for a bit but a '14 with the new changes [don't think much applies to lakesters] posted on the home page here will serve you well. 

Thinking traditional tank or a dragster look alike?  Converting a dragster is not really a viable option, basically the chassis are two different ballgames.

Packaging is a major issue for both lakesters and liners, space within the body gets real small real fast.  Good planning pays big dividends in time, money, and frustration savings.

Ed

Offline ChassisWorks

• New folks
« Reply #3234 on: December 02, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Mike.

Have a good one

Welcome ChassisWorks.
As you'll find out, this is an awesome forum with great members.
Enjoy the stay.

Mike.

Offline ChassisWorks

• New folks
« Reply #3235 on: December 02, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »
Thanks Ed,

I'll have to check the rules before I do anything, but I'm thinking of making my own body shell by making a male/female custom body mold to build the body in. Using graphite cloth with epoxy resin for the body. I'll use the traditional body shape similar the the belly tankers.
I'll have to check the rules to see if there's any requirements on the length, width, girth and so on.

I'm thinking of making a chromoly round tube frame. Again I'll have to check to see what the requirements are such as what methods the chassis and the welds have to conform to.

I have a few power plant options from several engines and transmissions I've picked up over the years. I'll be running carbs naturally aspirated.

I'd be interested to hear what you and some of the others here use as a suspension system or no suspension at all.

I'd really like to hear any other advice and your Salt Flat and or Dry Lake experiences you care to share.

Thanks again Ed

Steve

Welcome aboard CW!  Good choice on the Lakester class for a build, basic class rules let you concentrate on the important ones - safety.

#1 get a rule book and study, study, study.  New '15's won't be available for a bit but a '14 with the new changes [don't think much applies to lakesters] posted on the home page here will serve you well.  

Thinking traditional tank or a dragster look alike?  Converting a dragster is not really a viable option, basically the chassis are two different ballgames.

Packaging is a major issue for both lakesters and liners, space within the body gets real small real fast.  Good planning pays big dividends in time, money, and frustration savings.

Ed

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:00:05 PM by ChassisWorks »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3236 on: December 02, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
CW, build the inside as small as you can package everything and then put the body on it.  Have you looked at a lot of lakesters?   Study your competition.
CM is not necessary unless that is the frame and cage material you are most familiar with.  Since weight is rarely an issue use mild steel.  Remember the rule book contains minimums for safety. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3237 on: December 02, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
Steve;

Mild steel is not a bad choice for building a chassis-- it absorbs more energy in a crash than chrom-moly. When a material deforms in its yield range, it is absorbing energy.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Ma5da

• New folks
« Reply #3238 on: January 04, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
Hi guys
Although not a racer I have an interest in the whole speed thing.
I have never been to Boneville but sadly cannot get to travel from the UK in August due to work etc.
My wife and I are planning a trip to Vegas in September so with that in mind is there any racing on the salt in September?
If there was I fancy hiring a motorhome and driving from Vegas and maybe staying a few days then travelling back to finish our holiday in Vegas.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Dermot.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3239 on: January 04, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
Dermot

Bonneville Motor Cycle Speed Trials Aug 29-Sept 3 

World Of Speed Sept 12-15

Top Speed Shootout Sept 17-21

Links to each are on the home page here, currently top left but the page is scheduled for revision today so I don't know where the links will wind up.

Typically plenty of Lodging available at reasonable rates for the Sept meets so unless you have other plans for it no real need for a MH.  Car rental will serve you at a much lower rate.  Just don't tell the agency where you might be taking either, clean it up well before you return, and you should be fine.  Do some searches here on the forums, plenty of more detailed information available to help answer your questions.

Fair warning, the Salt can be very addicting.  "An interest" could change to wanting to become "a racer" in a heartbeat!

Ed