Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264880 times)

gkabbt

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3195 on: October 03, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
ECTA racer Mike Richen has participated in the Silver State Classic as well.
His little Mitsu EVO hauls ASS. Here's a video from several years back at Maxton when he went 237 MPH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1-jdEj5eMcM

Gregg

Offline The Rusty Cog

• New folks
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3196 on: October 09, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Hello! 

My name is Coleman Morris-Goodrick... I'm from Ft. Collins, Co.
I enjoy riding motorcycles, I've built a few.. I was on a road trip this summer and went through the Bonneville Salt Flats.  I've been obsessed with racing on the flats ever since. 

I'm gathering information in hopes to make a run next summer....

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3197 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
Welcome Coleman. :cheers:

Mike.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3198 on: October 10, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
Welcome Coleman, you got salt fever and didn't know it, now you will need a yearly booster shot, enjoy our sport as it's the best of any automotive sport. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline MrEracer

• New folks
« Reply #3199 on: October 10, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »
Hello LSR Racers,
  My first post here.  I have raced cars, boats, motorcycles and aircraft all my life.  I am now retired from Aerospace and since my golf game sucks, I think I will spend my retirement years with more racing.  I first attended Bonneville in '59 as a young kid spectator and several times since over the years.  I have friends that race BNI and EM and now its time to join them. 
  I have a car I built 20 years ago for the Silver State open road races that I want to convert it to an LSR car.  It is an '80 Pontiac Sunbird (Monza) channeled and 'Z'ed over a Toyota pick up frame with 12 pt roll cage (will need mods to pass tech).  Originally built with a SBC, I now want to put my experience with NA, EFI LSX engines to work on this  project.  I built the car with a Saganaw 4spd trans with an early chevy overdrive adapted to it (.7:1 OD, hope it will take to abuse) and a Ford 9" rear differential.
  I just want to get my feet wet with this car and get it up graded and through tech and get my driving ratings.  If things work out down the line I will see if going after a record would be in the cards.  I have the parts to build an 'A' engine (454 cid LSX tall deck) and possibly 'B' or 'C' engines down the line.  I do not have a rule book at this time (old one on the way) but it looks like I am headed for the Classic Altered class...
  I plan to attend El Mirage in a couple of weeks with a friend who will show me the ropes in exchange for pit help.  I'm looking forward to the experience and meeting some of the racers and officials...
Shirl Dickey
Aguila, AZ
Shirl Dickey
Veteran, U.S. Army Airborne, '61-'64
Retired Aerospace Engineer, BSME, UofU, 1970
Circle boat racer, '68-'82 and '10 to present (SK and Comp Jet)
Dirt Bike racer, '66-'84 (MotoX and Desert, big bore)
Aircraft racer, '83-'05 (Varieze and E-Racer)
Road race driver/instructor, '02-'12 (C5 Corvette, 600 hp)
Future LSR racer ('80 Sunbird, potential Altered Class)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3200 on: October 10, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Hello LSR Racers,
  My first post here.  I have raced cars, boats, motorcycles and aircraft all my life.  I am now retired from Aerospace and since my golf game sucks, I think I will spend my retirement years with more racing. 

Aerospace background and a racer?

What took you so long?

Shirl, you will be a good fit.  :-)

Pick up the rule book at Elmo, if you don't get one beforehand. 

The fastback version I assume?  It's a slick body style - lots of folks running that Monza body with success.

Welcome aboard!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline lumpy

• New folks
« Reply #3201 on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:08 AM »
Hello folks,my name is Lumpy or Noel Humpage a 45 yr old gearhead from Windsor ,Ontario Canada right across from Detroit.I,m always building something in my garage can,t stop! every winter I build a new bike for the next season.they take up less space than a old car in a one car garage! I,ve always wanted to go to the salt flats since reading about it as a kid in old hot rod mags.All my uncles worked in the car trades ,my father was a master welder/tool guy so I was around alot of car guys.lots of hot rods too!!! As of the moment my race bike is just about done in the mock up stage then it will be torn down for paint and finish,even though it is a race bike I still finish it like a street bike can,t help it! my bike is don,t laugh folks a stripped to the bones 1975 Goldwing gl1000  I made a four into one intake with a S&S carb ,open headers, clip on handlebars .I got rid of the rusty stock gas tank and mounted a 2 gallon peanut  tank on a new back bone.so its farrr from stock anymore! so thats me in a nut shell  bikes always on my mind.  sorry for boring you guys

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3202 on: October 14, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
Hi Shirl.  It is nice to see another dez racer on the forum.  No pointy plants, killer bees, barbed wire fences, big rocks hiding under sagebrush, open mineshafts, etc to worry about on the salt flats.  Life is good in the LSR world.  - Bo

Bobs68VW

« Reply #3203 on: October 23, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
New Volkswagen guy here...Building  a 68 Bug for the USFRA 130 MPH Club. God willing and I don't break too many parts, I'll be at the World of Speed event next September.

The Bug is powered by a 2052cc, engine with Engle cam; CB Performance 74mm C/W crank; 044 CB Performance heads (42x37.5 valves), dual springs, stainless valves; lightened flywheel; equalizer pulley; real german bosch 009 distributor, CB Performance "black box" for timing; Dual 44 IDF carbs and a hybrid T3/T4 turbo in a blown thru configuration.

The transmission is a 68 swing axle with a bus 4th gear (.82), and Super Beetle ring and pinion (3.875).

Disc brakes on all four corners, adjustable front beam, Hoosier Racing Tires (23x5x15 fronts and 25x5x15 rears).

If things work out, I'd also like to run the Silver State Classic in the 95 MPH class, and also do the Texas Mile.

Offline MK1SRocc

• New folks
« Reply #3204 on: October 31, 2014, 03:49:06 AM »
Hello all. Looks like it's two VW guys in a row.

My name is Dana, and while I have never been to Land's End, or set foot on the salt flats of Bonneville. But, through reading your threads on this forum I feel like I have experienced some of the drama and excitement that racing the salt creates. I have followed Milwakee Midget's thread for over a year now and read about his climb up the steep learning curve that I now want to start. (MM, congrats on your success by the way.) We have one thing in common already, we are both too tall for our cars of choice. I am 6'6" tall and think I may have to borrow some of your packaging solutions in the design and build of my cage.

I lived in Florida for many years, and while there did some auto-crossing. Which led me to find and buy my favorite water cooled VeeDub, a 1981 Scirocco S.

It was set up very well for cone dodging, and I had a lot of fun in it. I repainted it, put an interior back in it,  and turned it into more of a streetable car. Now, I want to remove the interior again, add a cage and racing seat, build a couple engines, buy some skinny wheels and tires, and come out to the salt and run in the Classic category. I received my SCTA rule book last summer, and have been reading, planning, and changing my mind a lot. It is time for me to stop thinking and start doing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:53:50 AM by MK1SRocc »

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #3205 on: October 31, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
Welcome MK1! Cool car. I've always had a thing for the first gen water cooled veedubs. The Scirocco is cool, but I've always been partial to the Rabbit. Good luck on your journey and keep us all posted on your progress!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline IG

• New folks
« Reply #3206 on: October 31, 2014, 10:11:49 PM »
Hello,

My name is Igor. I ride a turbo Hayabusa with measly 240 hp max. I don't really speed race - just love riding in general. Track days, street riding... 1/4 mile is not my thing. I could never top out my bike, but somehow don't feel the need to. Maybe if there was something close by, I would try.

I have some technical questions, and this is the only site I found that touches on those. I read through many posts - there are some very interesting discussions and projects. Way out of my league. But I enjoy reading and learning what others are doing.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3207 on: October 31, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
Feel free to ask.  There is a lot of bike building expertise here and a lot of us ride on the street.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3208 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
     Close by where?

A venue or LSR folks may be closer than you might think.

Ed

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3209 on: October 31, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »
Igor, welcome to LSR. Post where you are from or you can see where SSS tells you were you should live :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20