Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2265056 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3120 on: July 21, 2014, 12:38:35 AM »
Be careful, Rob.  Do not go at maximum until you have done a few runs at lower speeds. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3121 on: July 21, 2014, 01:43:48 AM »
Welcome Rob.
You guys in the service deserve all the respect.
Have a great time and be safe. :cheers:

Mike.

Offline Crazydaddyo

• New folks
« Reply #3122 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »
Hello,
           I love most anything speed related. I like to build and modify Ford Model A/B four cylinder engines.
I have raced many things, but it was tether cars that got me interested in LSR.

I've been to El Mirage many times, and I'm planning on going to Bonneville for the first time this year.

I have lurked hear for a while, and decided it is time to join in.

Thanks for having me.

Offline roberthickoxjr

• New folks
« Reply #3123 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »
Hey Daddyo, congratulations and good luck.
Looking for Loring, Maine 30&31 August. 2012 R1 production Class

Offline DND

« Reply #3124 on: July 23, 2014, 11:54:37 PM »
Hi Crazy

Welcome and what type of hot rod will you put your 4 banger in for your salt runner

G Don

Offline Crazydaddyo

• New folks
« Reply #3125 on: July 24, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
Hi Crazy

Welcome and what type of hot rod will you put your 4 banger in for your salt runner

G Don

No plans yet..........Yet........

Offline DND

« Reply #3126 on: July 24, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
How about a vintage dirt car , like in your avatar pic?

Offline Freaky1

• New folks
« Reply #3127 on: July 28, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Hello, my name is Tom and my son Luke & I made our first trek to Bonneville last year for the 65th. I grew up around street rods and show cars in the 70's and 80's and built a few different things along the way. My dad was the car guy in the neighborhood and also the go to guy when you needed almost anything fixed. Together he and I got to see several different brands of racing from F1, Cart, Indy Cars, Drags, and many local small dirt or paved tracks.

About 6 or 8 years ago some of his car club buddies decided to build a car for Bonneville. I had read about Speed Week, land speed record holders, and seen all kinds of pictures but we'd never been. Not living in the same state I wasn't able to get back to see the car before they hit the road. Talking to him it was clear the build really revived his spirits as his health was starting to slip and building any car was no longer a possibility. They trekked out and I recall being told that they had broke the motor so they'd packed it in pretty early. When My dad and I did talk about the trip the car and it's issues were a speed bump in the conversation, almost all he talked about was the variety of cars, amazing workmanship, and all the great people he'd met.

Street rods, for me, had really lost their luster several years ago when it became a Cubic Buck Rodder thing as my dad called it. People calling builders and "ordering" a car, opening a catalog and breaking out the checkbook. Now I don't have any issue with the people who do this, I just don't find the car as interesting as one built by, bled on, and sweated over by the guy driving it. I think deep down my dad felt the same way. I could tell when we'd talk about Bonneville that the innovative spark he had for as long as I can remember had been ignited again.

After several years of deteriorating health, illusive medical issues, and progressive dementia my dad became seriously ill in the summer of 2012. He passed away while his friends were at Speed Week and that year they were finally able to break 200 mph. Last year I made it my mission to get to the place that my dad raved about, with my son who was 10. I was in complete shock the entire time we were there trying to take everything in. It was somewhat emotional because everything about the place was 100% my dad, great people, amazing vehicles, and an unexpected surprise with Wendover AFB (my dad was an Air Force mechanic in the 50's).

Needless to say, my son and I will be back this year and we've already agreed to make it our yearly adventure. It was great to see the vehicles and details that made my son's wheels spin, some of which I didn't catch. He kept asking me what we were going to build to bring to Bonneville to run, and didn't let up all winter either, and there are some possibilities. But for now, I just want to get back there and do it all again, meet some more people, ask more questions, and hear some more stories.

OK, my book is done and I've got to go to work. We'll see you in a little under two weeks, safe travels everyone!     

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3128 on: July 28, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
Tom, that is a great story. Welcome to you and your son.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #3129 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »
That's a really cool story, Freaky1, thanks for sharing it with us.  See ya on the Salt....

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #3130 on: July 28, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
Tom- I endorse what Neil said. I think when you and Luke get your car built and to the salt, there will be an extra crew member in the background...watching over and helping.
                                                                            Best Regards, Denis
Denis

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
« Reply #3131 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
Hi -- My name is Harold and I'm in SoCal -- --  Got my nickname from the little '60 Fiat 600 (picture on left) that I modified - a little -- Have always enjoyed fast things from blown MC's to a lot of different cars -- -- I'm a firm believer in that a fast car has to have a clutch and a shift lever -- for the past few years I have been playing with ACVW's -- -- Found my current obsession a hour or so north of Phoenix -- This Karman Ghia was a Road Racer that hit the tracks at Phoenix and Vegas in the 70's and 80's, until the owner decided to go open wheel and parked the car -- -- Well, I got the car minus motor a little over two years ago and have ended up changing everything but the color of the car, funneling large amounts of cash I don't have at it LOL -- I've brought the car back into being a street legal play toy, it is currently registered and insured and driving around to various car shows and events -- Burly has been after me to get it to the WOS and into the VW challenge, but I'm a little above the 36hp challenge -- -- It currently has a highly modified ACVW in it at 2989cc and I've added a turbo and fuel injected to the mix -- since I don't have a money tree in the back yard, I've had to do most of the crappy welding and fab myself. Trying to get the funds together to make it to WOS this year and be one of the many Ghias on the salt for the challenge. I don't have the transaxle gearing to run the big MPH, but I should be able to make it into the 130 class...... Hope to see you there

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:32:20 PM by Fiatdude »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3132 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
Fiatdude, welcome to the LSR world. Looks like a nice build. Hope you get the results you have built to,see you on the salt. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3133 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:18 PM »
Freaky1, I hope you and Tom have a great time. I also live in Denver. Our red white and blue Lakester car number 1000 will be at Speed Week. Stop by and say hello. We will be on course 4 to start, letting the oldest member of our crew be our rookie driver. Barc is an old funny car driver, we are trying to get him in the 200 mph club. With a good track and some luck we think we can do it.

Looking forward to seeing you on the salt.
John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3134 on: July 28, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
Tom, that is a great story. Welcome to you and your son.

From me as well. Mike.