Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264945 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3045 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Hi right back at you, Mr. FBRman.  Thanks for having the sense to join up with the land speed racing gang.  I sort of pity you, though, because once you get started - it becomes addictive and you can't stop until you've run out of money.  Ask many of us.

'81 Regal?  Well, while not a slick streamliner, it's as good as any to start with if you move through the ranks of the 130 and then 150 Clubs.  You'll find out more information about those at www.saltflats.com.  The 130 and 150 are held during the World of Speed event in the second week of September - not at SpeedWeek.  But that might be a good thing.  If you were hoping to run your car this year you'll not only have about another month to get it ready, and you'll also get to attend SpeedWeek as a spectator.  That's a very good idea as if you've got a vehicle entered you'll probably be so busy tweaking and getting past through Tech and then being in line and running -- that you'll miss out on meeting many of us, and you'll be so focused on the car that you won't have the luxury of meandering around the place to see what's what.

Where in northern Arizona?  And - what's your name (real or assumed) so we can refer to you by something that's a bit easier to remember than the FBR-thing.

Welcome again and thanks for joining.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

FBR81

« Reply #3046 on: May 21, 2014, 01:11:58 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys! My name is James Warner and I am in Flagstaff Az. Yeah this year will be just a spectator but that is fine with me! I have always wanted to make it out to the salt and now its time to make it happen. Im pretty sure I will be hooked on LSR as just the thought has me exited! I'm hoping to start a build as soon as I make my mind up about what car to start with. Learning about CD and basic aero now and im hoping that after Speedweek, and reading the rulebook, I will have a better idea of what to start with. Master plan would be 130 club, then 150 and after that a slow stretch up the 200mph. If I can even get in the 130 and 150 clubs lol! Thaks again for the welcomes. Got some reading to do 8-)

Offline Gpzman2000

• New folks
« Reply #3047 on: May 23, 2014, 01:00:57 AM »
Jesus Mary and Joseph !  How do I get started in LSR ?   I LOVE racing ! Can't get enough of it !  I've raced NHRA Bracket level racing,  AMA motocross, and even taken a stab at Jetski's and snowmobiles.

I REALLLY want to get started in LSR, but I'm having a Gawd-Awful time getting anybody at the local clubs in So Cal to reply to my emails or inquiries. Can somebody please point me in the right direction ?  fully dedicated 2-wheel racer here !  Can't wait to get started at El Mirage, and Lord KNOWS I want to Run at Bonneville this year !  Gotta  start somewhere, right ?  SOS ! Help !   :)  Thanks, Y'all and I can't wait to make new friends and have a great year racing !   ..Gpz... :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3048 on: May 23, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys! My name is James Warner and I am in Flagstaff Az. Yeah this year will be just a spectator but that is fine with me! I have always wanted to make it out to the salt and now its time to make it happen. Im pretty sure I will be hooked on LSR as just the thought has me exited! I'm hoping to start a build as soon as I make my mind up about what car to start with. Learning about CD and basic aero now and im hoping that after Speedweek, and reading the rulebook, I will have a better idea of what to start with. Master plan would be 130 club, then 150 and after that a slow stretch up the 200mph. If I can even get in the 130 and 150 clubs lol! Thaks again for the welcomes. Got some reading to do 8-)

James, you should contact Sparky, in Phoenix, and see if he will let you drop by for a visit to the tank shop. 
Go to the USFRA website, look at the 130 club rules... they run at WoS... very little prep for a street car, you could be a salt racer in September.

Jesus Mary and Joseph !  How do I get started in LSR ?   I LOVE racing ! Can't get enough of it !  I've raced NHRA Bracket level racing,  AMA motocross, and even taken a stab at Jetski's and snowmobiles.

I REALLLY want to get started in LSR, but I'm having a Gawd-Awful time getting anybody at the local clubs in So Cal to reply to my emails or inquiries. Can somebody please point me in the right direction ?  fully dedicated 2-wheel racer here !  Can't wait to get started at El Mirage, and Lord KNOWS I want to Run at Bonneville this year !  Gotta  start somewhere, right ?  SOS ! Help !   :)  Thanks, Y'all and I can't wait to make new friends and have a great year racing !   ..Gpz... :-D

GPZ, contact John Noonan through this board... order a rule book now from the SCTA... If you have been sending emails starting last Thursday, they were all at El Mirage and are still playing cleanup and catchup.  Did I mention get a rulebook.... get a rulebook and start prepping your bike.  You do not have to be a SCTA member to race Bonneville, you can join the BNI.  Or if you want to attend SpeedWeek, see how it is done, then race at a little smaller venue in September, join the USFRA... same records... same rulebook.... Did I mention get a rulebook  :-D
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Gpzman2000

• New folks
« Reply #3049 on: May 23, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »

James, you should contact Sparky, in Phoenix, and see if he will let you drop by for a visit to the tank shop. 
Go to the USFRA website, look at the 130 club rules... they run at WoS... very little prep for a street car, you could be a salt racer in September.

GPZ, contact John Noonan through this board... order a rule book now from the SCTA... If you have been sending emails starting last Thursday, they were all at El Mirage and are still playing cleanup and catchup.  Did I mention get a rulebook.... get a rulebook and start prepping your bike.  You do not have to be a SCTA member to race Bonneville, you can join the BNI.  Or if you want to attend SpeedWeek, see how it is done, then race at a little smaller venue in September, join the USFRA... same records... same rulebook.... Did I mention get a rulebook  :-D
See ya on the salt  8-)

Way ahead of you, Stainless !  .. On the Rulebook, anyways ! ... I ordered one last week, and it should arrive soon. I've been reading up on some tips from the web. The bikes are being prepped as we speak. I've ran NHRA before, and just like any sanctioned body, the rulebook is the 'compass' to getting started.  For the last 17 years, I've been collecting old school GSXR's. Some are for Drag Racing, some are for street, but I've set aside two just for LSR.  Not looking to go 200 mph right out off the bat, but looking for the 150 - 160 marker, and then gradually work my way from there. Any advice for getting started in LSR would be helpful !  See you on the salt.... Gpz.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3050 on: May 23, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
Gpz

If you had attended the El Mirage meet last weekend you could have a rule book in your pocket. Looked at several competitors and gotten any info you need from the tech guys and he racers. When I get interested in a new form of motorsports I first find the next and closest event I can attend first hand.

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3051 on: May 23, 2014, 06:23:08 PM »
"Any advice for getting started in LSR would be helpful !  See you on the salt.... Gpz."

In 30 years your wallet will give you LSR advice....you shouldn't have.... none of us will tell you not to, we want you suffering right along with us.

The best salt advise I got from an old racer.... if the tires spin add weight, if they don't add horsepower  :-o
Stainless

FBR81

« Reply #3052 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
Thanks Stainless1, I will have to look him up and try to stop by next time I am down that way. I just got my Regal a month ago. Its still stock and has trouble with highway speeds lol. Stock v6 and tired. I have a iron headed small block I could throw in but the rest of the car needs gone threw also, and it might not have what it takes. I will know more when the rule book gets here. Looking at the 130 club stuff now. Thanks

Offline Tharon

• New folks
« Reply #3053 on: May 27, 2014, 09:23:21 AM »
Hi All,
My name is Tharon and I live in Adelaide, South Australia.
I first came across salt lake racing at a trip to Lake Gairdner way back in 1995, that year there was Al Teague and a lot of other guys from the US at the meeting. I always said it was something I was going to do and finally after many spectator trips I built and raced my own car in 2013.
Its a 4 door sedan running in E/PRO. 260ci V8
We weren't really sure how it would go under actual real-time conditions but after licence runs we came up with 174.9mph which is only
4mph short of our Australian record.
We made some changes for this year that weren't quite finished in time but unfortunately this year the track turned pretty much to crap after a day and half of racing( rain in the preceding month) so I didn't miss much 
So here I am hooked and waiting to go again.
I have made several visits to your site as a guest and thought best to do the right thing and join.
I do have some aero questions so I guess I will be talking most of the time to some people in the tech forum area.
Hope I don't annoy to many people with too many questions!
Cheers, Tharon. 

Offline Strokerface

• New folks
« Reply #3054 on: June 03, 2014, 11:10:56 PM »
Hi, my name is Jim Gaal and Bonneville has been on my bucket list for a long time (even before watching World's Fastest Indian too many times)   :lol: It's a long way to travel, and I decided that spectating was not going to cut it. I have a friend with serious health issues who also has Bonneville on his bucket list. So THIS is the year!

I bought a new 2013 ZX-14R to go for 200 mph. I don't care about a record, just really want the experience.

For practice I'm going to Wilmington this weekend to run with ECTA. Now there is a production record sitting there that I have a very good shot at. So I want it and am sweating many details. Trying not to let the LSR bug bite too hard!

Offline debgeo

« Reply #3055 on: June 03, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
To late Jim you are infected. :-D :-D :-D
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #3056 on: June 04, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
Stroker, get a rule book so your trip is racing and not spectating
The speed you can go is not what you have to build to, it is the record speed.  Tire requirements may be an area you have to look at for the salt.
Stainless

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3057 on: June 04, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
. . . or buy Slim's bike and run SpeedWeek this year.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #3058 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »
Stroker-how many times a day is watching Worlds Fastest Indian too many? Check out Ab Jenkins next.

Offline Strokerface

• New folks
« Reply #3059 on: June 04, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
Stroker, get a rule book so your trip is racing and not spectating
The speed you can go is not what you have to build to, it is the record speed.  Tire requirements may be an area you have to look at for the salt.

I have an ECTA rulle book. Now if my steering damper will arrive before hitting the road tomorrow!

Planning on the (formerly) BUB event in August. Is the rule book posted their website not complete/official?