Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264950 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3015 on: April 27, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »
Owen, I think my son and I talked to you and your bride in 2011 at Speedweek.

If so we looked up a bike record for you, we were racing an RZ350.

At any rate, welcome to the forum and we look forward to seeing you.

Don and Gus

Offline cdoublejj

• New folks
« Reply #3016 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »
Name is chris, i'm new here. I came here in search of information for a little project i'm cooking up in the future.

EDIT: i also have a friend who wants to do the texas mile his machine.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:26:29 AM by cdoublejj »

Offline Greaseballracing

• New folks
« Reply #3017 on: April 28, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »
Thanks guys.
Thanks tauruck I'm certain I will, I just need to get back there.
Don & Gus good chance that was us, we met so many awesome people there and had an absolute ball, hopefully see you guys In 2015.
Milwaukee midget, I have read your build diary. It was one of the first I did read on this forum. My first car was a 64 Austin Healy sprite. My father and I restored it together, after his passing it held a lot of fond memories. Unfortunately life has it's ups and downs and I recently had to sell it, the upside is some of the funds were used to start the bike project.
Thanks again guys I'll get some photos together and start a build diary. There are a lot of questions to be asked.

Offline RainierHooker

• New folks
« Reply #3018 on: April 30, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
Hello there,

My name is Evan, and I hail from Tacoma, WA. I just swapped some projects and parts around and it looks like I may be starting on checking off one of those things bucket-list. I fear it may be habitual.

The other day I drug home a 150 gallon drop tank, and started pulling parts out of the rafters to see what we can do. V4F here we come...

...I plan to be picking lots of brains and asking lots of questions.

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #3019 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
Hello; I'm Nate and I'm from Anacortes, WA.  My son Josh and I are currently readying our street car for a run this year at the 130 club.  This is out first foray into land speed racing of any kind and we're really looking forward to it.  Body work and some major upgrades are going on in earnest to make the Sept event, but I'm confident we'll be there, ready to run.  Here's a recent shot of our car.  It's a modified '67 VW Squareback that will be running a 2.3L Porsche 914 engine w/ Megasquirt EFI, 912E 5-speed trans, 911 front suspension and 944 rear suspension among the mods.  It's been built specifically for track days, hence all the suspension mods, but we hope it'll go straight and fast too.

As a kid, I would top-out virtually any car I got behind the wheel of just to see if I could beat the top speed the last time I drove it. . .  Seems like a natural (and more legal) progression. . . :-D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:52:33 AM by aircooledtechguy »
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA
Owner: ProVolks LLC

Offline TwoLaneBlacktop

• New folks
« Reply #3020 on: April 30, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Les Holm from Burien Washington.

Hot Rodder, Recently exposed to and became "Salt Addict", Crew Chief on the North American Eagle Landspeed Challenger.............

Owner of a '36 Ford Sedan and a few other toys..........

Crew member of the "Original Fast Guys" car at Bonneville 2013............

Happy to be part of this.............
Speed Addiction

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3021 on: April 30, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
Welcome Les,

LSR has been a life changing passion in my life. I hope you have a great journey.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline salt27

« Reply #3022 on: April 30, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
Welcome Les,

LSR has been a life changing passion in my life. I hope you have a great journey.

John

Yea, but was it for the better or the worse.   :-D

Don

Offline SS Performance

• New folks
« Reply #3023 on: May 08, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »
Hi all.  My name is Craig Scott I'm new here.

I have been a fan of the salt ever since I watch Craig Breedlove on Wild World Of Sports as a kid (that should be a clue to my age).

I have never made it to the salt because I live on the wrong coast.

I would like to build a car to run out there.  I have a 02 Camaro sitting in the shop and was thinking about building it.

Any advise or guidance in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3024 on: May 09, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »
Hi all.  My name is Craig Scott I'm new here.

I have been a fan of the salt ever since I watch Craig Breedlove on Wild World Of Sports as a kid (that should be a clue to my age).

I have never made it to the salt because I live on the wrong coast.

I would like to build a car to run out there.  I have a 02 Camaro sitting in the shop and was thinking about building it.

Any advise or guidance in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome Craig,

...I live on the wrong coast.... :-o

....I'm living on the wrong continent....Europe....and I can't stay away...... :-D :-D :-D

Time that you get the right smell of salt, NOS....in your nose....

Enjoy the experience building a LSR racer...and at last...to run them...

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline wick1984

• New folks
« Reply #3025 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
Hey guys! my name is Shaun, i live near San Antonio, tx.
i have two lsr projects: one- 2004 kawasaki zx-10r, some mods, no internals yet... it runs 10.87's @ 130mph in the quarter. the fastest i've gotten it up to is 182mph,(gps verified), ran out of road.....now my goal for her is: take it to Texas mile and try to join the 200mph club....only one problem....im 6'6" @ 265lbs...very non aero..lol. but i plan on spraying it to get there......got to get everything ready for october.

my next project: unusual for LSRacing but, 1995 suburban, slammed, stripped, & gutted...it has 350tbi with bolt ons, but will be looking at ls style motor, or big block with aluminum goodies.....i havnt weighed her yet, but factory is around 6,000lbs..my guess, it weighs about 53-5500...will need some serious HP and aero mods...but im learning alot just from reading this forum!

oh and i will be asking many questions. if anybody is near the san antonio area...i would like to check out projects/get& share ideas.
thanks guys.
-Shaun

Offline Strangely Made

• New folks
« Reply #3026 on: May 10, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »
Hello all, I'm from the Uk.
Was lucky enough to be part of the pit crew for Chris Ireland at Pendine sands last year. Now I'm getting interested in the speed weekend over in Sweden, that looks like one mad event.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3027 on: May 10, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »
Howdy, Shaun.  Welcome to this Forum and to L S R in general.  First things first -- you've done well in getting in touch with us at the beginning of your odyssey to going really, really fast.  There are more ideas, more skills, and more techniques on this board than you'll find anywhere else -- save out on the salt itself.

Okay -- now you know we're glad to see you here.  I assume the 10R has an engine that's just a few cc's smaller than 1000 (since so many bike manufacturers get close but just under -- maybe for insurance reasons.  Whatever the reason -- if indeed your engine measures less than 1000 cc, and assuming you do decide to run at Bonneville and spray it -- you would be in MPS/F for stock body and APS for aftermarket/home made bodywork.  The MPS/F record is Joe Amo's at 223.353 and the APS/F currently is held by Jim Hoogerhyde at 223.705.  Now you know what hills you'll have to climb to get the record up there.  I haven't checked to see if the Club has a minimum for either class, but watch out -- they just might have, and that'd set the bar somewhat higher.  Anyway, take off the body and you've got a couple of Scott Guthrie records to beat, but -- they're around 195 and 197.  200 on a naked bike isn't very easy to do -- if for no other reason than there's one heck of a breeze blowing in your face at two bills.  I don't know the Texas rules -- maybe all you need to do is make a pass over two hundred, but what the heck - might as well build for the salt.

Non-aero?  Well, I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 6' 3" or so and although I'm way lighter than 265 -- I still look like Magilla Gorilla climbing over and around a tiny bike.  It's very entertaining for the spectators to see.  Learn how to tuck in REALLY well.

Final comment from me (at least for now):  Got a current rulebook?  If so -- great.  If not -- call the SCTA and ask JoAnn to send THREE of them to you.  You'll want one for the shop, of course, and one for the coffee table in the living room, and one for the back of the toilet.  Seriously -- now you know how much time you oughta spend reading the rules.  Best wishes.  How 'bout you plan to go to SpeedWeek if you can get away?  You'd learn tons of important stuff while spectating, have a ball, and meet and see and talk with all sorts of racers that'll be having a ball helping you, the new guy, figure out what need to do.  We'll see you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3028 on: May 10, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »
..and don't forget to attend the Salt Talks on Sunday evening, Shaun. It's a chance to meet lots of guys and pick their brains!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wick1984

• New folks
« Reply #3029 on: May 11, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »
thanks Manta & Mr Slim!!
Lol @ magilla gorilla! i know the feeling. yes i believe the cc's are 998. going to run stock style(fiberglass) bodywork.
i currently dont have an scta book. only texas & ama book. yes, you have to clock 200 at the tx mile. theres basic classes like production, modified, and streamline style. i have to run modified class even with aftermarket exhaust.

thanks for the warm welcome & tips.
hopefully i got the picture posted....note: extremely dirty