Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264928 times)

Offline Sporty Dan

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2970 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
Hi All! Long time lurker, just joined. My story is similar to many on here. Went to Speed Week to check it out a few years ago, bought a rulebook while there. Thought, "Hey, I can do that!". Since I had been taking time off from drag racing since my son was born, I decided to start switching it over to a LSR bike. As you can tell by my user name, I like Sportsters. Currently the bike is 1380 cc ( I know, way small for the 1650 class), running 12.5:1 compression with S&S heads, Red Shift cams, and a Super G carb. Decided to switch over to blown, so I'll be heading for 1650 M-PBG. Record is 142, so I hope to have a shot at it if I can get my act together. Was going to try to run this year, but switched jobs so it will be 2015 before I can run. Oh well, life happens. Will be pestering people with questions once I actually start the build process on the bike.
I really like following the bike builds and seeing what people are able to fabricate.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2971 on: March 23, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
Hey, Dan -- welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for joining this group of diverse and wacko folks that are interested in seeing just how fast we can make a vehicle go.  As for a Sporty - well, join the group.  There are quite a few H-D fans on the Forum so you should be able to find companionship and maybe even help and advice here.  Put up with us -- you'll get good information and you'll be jerked around some -- maybe in proportion to something or other -- but consider lr.com as a resource that's impossible to find anywhere else on the internet.

Now comes my fun part:  You didn't specify your location when you filled out the Profile page of registration.  We like it when you do that so we'll have a good idea of where you are - so maybe we can get together or send someone over to your place/invite you to ours for some help or bench racing.  Since you didn't put down your town -- I'll give you a bit of time to fill it out - or I'll do it for you.  When I do -- well, let's see -- I've put people in places like Dangling Testicle, Delaware and Coitus Interruptus, Connecticut.  Shall I come up with a town for you? :evil: :evil:

Anyway -- welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline toadjammer

• New folks
« Reply #2972 on: March 23, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »
Hi all,

Got the bug to try out LSR about 5 years ago, just never found the time money or amition till this year.
Building a '93 Firebird hoping to have enough money and help to to run it this year.

If anyone is local and has time to meet up and give pointers please contact me.

Thanks
Trent

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #2973 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »
Sorry about that Slim! I got it in there now.  :-D And thanks for the Welcome! When I get to actually working on the bike I'll set a build page to keep track of progress.

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #2974 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
Hello everyone
My name is Steve, from Ottawa area Canada. Kind of an LSR noob having not competed in a 1 mile or more event yet. Hopefully my old camaro makes an appearance this year.  :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2975 on: March 23, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »
Hi all,

Got the bug to try out LSR about 5 years ago, just never found the time money or amition till this year.
Building a '93 Firebird hoping to have enough money and help to to run it this year.

Thanks
Trent

Welcome aboard, Trent.

Firebird is a fairly aero car - a good starting point.

I know you've got a rule book - What class are you thinking of running?

Bonneville is 138 days out - that's a short turn-around to have a car ready, if you're looking at Speedweek.  World of Speed would get you another month, World Finals, another 2.  You mentioned in your e-mail that you're more of an engine guy.  You have an advantage with a GM engine - the parts are there, and unless you're doing something really exotic, you probably won't be behind the 8 ball waiting on a supplier.

It CAN be done, but I don't think there's a person on these boards who would fault you if it took a little longer.  Getting it right takes time, but everybody has their own pace.  It's the fastest sport on earth - as well as the slowest.

I sent you my phone number - let's see if between Burton, Marty, you and me, we can't give the salt a nice coat of cheese this year . . .

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline toadjammer

• New folks
« Reply #2976 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks
Trent

Welcome aboard, Trent.

Bonneville is 138 days out - that's a short turn-around to have a car ready, if you're looking at Speedweek.  World of Speed would get you another month, World Finals, another 2.  You mentioned in your e-mail that you're more of an engine guy.  You have an advantage with a GM engine - the parts are there, and unless you're doing something really exotic, you probably won't be behind the 8 ball waiting on a supplier.

It CAN be done, but I don't think there's a person on these boards who would fault you if it took a little longer.  Getting it right takes time, but everybody has their own pace.  It's the fastest sport on earth - as well as the slowest.

I sent you my phone number - let's see if between Burton, Marty, you and me, we can't give the salt a nice coat of cheese this year . . .

Chris
Chris,
We are already 84? days into the build, I hope to run this year.
I will probably go with a LS type motor.
We are going along nicely. Have the front and rear suspension rebuilt and upgraded.
Totally stripped down. Placeholder motor and tranny in along with exhaust done.
Fuel cell and battery box mounted.
Researching seats before we start putting the cage in.

Stil alot to do but making progress.
Trent

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2977 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:24 AM »
Trent - get us up to speed - a build diary right here on the forum!

Similar body - built for 300, so it might be overkill in your case - but you may want to go faster in the future . . . 

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2606.0.html

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jmetric

• New folks
« Reply #2978 on: March 27, 2014, 02:45:34 AM »
Hi, new to the blog here. My name is John Metric from Houston, TX. I am going to give the Houston 1/2 Mile a try.
We are going to take my drag car Assault&Battery if I can find good enough tires to pass inspection. We are targeting about 150-170-mph.
I was hoping the savvy folks on this forum could help me out....

I am looking for rears that will fit on a 15" rim that is 12" wide.
Would like tall a tire as possible.
have 28.5" drag slicks on it now.
I was looking at NASCAR Goodyear 27.5 x 12.0 15 Eagle D4468 used from Florida.

Also having trouble finding some for fronts.
The car was built with a very narrow clearance on the front, basically a front runner wheel rim.
It is a 5.0" wide 15" rim on front. I have some Toyo Proxes RA1 205/50R125, may be too tight to squeeze on there.
but...
I was looking at Eagle Land Speed Tires 2284, but OMG, $1500 for a pair of tires plus shipping and handling mounting, balancing etc...? I am trying to go about 150mph not, 300mph.
Is there a reasonably priced front runner that tech will not gripe about that is better than a drag tire frontrunner?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2979 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Why not a frontrunner for your front?  they are way cheaper than LSR tires.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2980 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
The Goodyear drag race FrontRunners are good for at least 200.

(I think Goodyear also calls some of its LSR tires FrontRunners, but the drag race ones should be good for your use.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #2981 on: March 27, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks
Trent

Hi Trent- welcome! You have not mentioned class that I have seen. Different locations, different rules but for ECTA and SCTA you have to build the car to the class record, regardless of what speed you think you want/can  do, record or no. As far as I know, the LS series was not yet available in the '93 Camaro ( more like '96 or '97 though I could well be incorrect) That makes it an engine swap and puts you in /GC. Both the production and GC records for a C engine are over 230 so you will need to build to that- fire systems, lexan windows,  etc. I suspect drag front runners have been run to those speeds but you are getting into the LSR tire area. Was a while back but I ran M&H FC front runners on my liner without issue. I am not sure what Jim Knapp currently has on the car but it has been over 300 now. Anyway, good luck and keep us up on the build. As suggested, start a build diary so we can see progress.

Welcome aboard, Trent.

Bonneville is 138 days out - that's a short turn-around to have a car ready, if you're looking at Speedweek.  World of Speed would get you another month, World Finals, another 2.  You mentioned in your e-mail that you're more of an engine guy.  You have an advantage with a GM engine - the parts are there, and unless you're doing something really exotic, you probably won't be behind the 8 ball waiting on a supplier.

It CAN be done, but I don't think there's a person on these boards who would fault you if it took a little longer.  Getting it right takes time, but everybody has their own pace.  It's the fastest sport on earth - as well as the slowest.

Chris
Chris,
We are already 84? days into the build, I hope to run this year.
I will probably go with a LS type motor.
We are going along nicely. Have the front and rear suspension rebuilt and upgraded.
Totally stripped down. Placeholder motor and tranny in along with exhaust done.
Fuel cell and battery box mounted.
Researching seats before we start putting the cage in.

Stil alot to do but making progress.
Trent
Sorry, my comment got buried in Trent's post above. Copied here:

Hi Trent- welcome! You have not mentioned class that I have seen. Different locations, different rules but for ECTA and SCTA you have to build the car to the class record, regardless of what speed you think you want/can  do, record or no. As far as I know, the LS series was not yet available in the '93 Camaro ( more like '96 or '97 though I could well be incorrect) That makes it an engine swap and puts you in /GC. Both the production and GC records for a C engine are over 230 so you will need to build to that- fire systems, lexan windows,  etc. I suspect drag front runners have been run to those speeds but you are getting into the LSR tire area. Was a while back but I ran M&H FC front runners on my liner without issue. I am not sure what Jim Knapp currently has on the car but it has been over 300 now. Anyway, good luck and keep us up on the build. As suggested, start a build diary so we can see progress.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:18:44 PM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2982 on: March 27, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
  Jmetric, If you want to go 150 mph with 12" wide tires, plan on making the vehicle weigh about two tons minimum or you will never make it to the three under power.
  The sand dunes are on the Oregon Coast, Central Idaho, or Death Valley.  We run on SALT.
Bob Drury

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2983 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
Bob, I think you scared the guy off.

If I had 2 posts I'd be gone for sure!. :-o :-o :-D :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2984 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »
One-Run --

He's talking about running the mile in Texas.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records