Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2264958 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2955 on: February 13, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
Welcome and I hope you achieve exactly what you set out to do. :cheers: Mike.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2956 on: February 13, 2014, 07:32:29 PM »
Have you made plans for shipping the bike over here? If you send me your email I will forward it to the other entry and he could contact you about sharing space in his container. Maybe.

Offline Rasmussen

« Reply #2957 on: February 14, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. Wauw, shipping really has been my main concern, so that would be a great help. Knew there was a couple of guys going to BUBs, and possibly Lars (Octane) who is going to SW, but haven`t heard of others.

Tauruck:spend 2 hours reading through your entire thread the other day. It really made me want to go into the shop and get something done, and I´m not even into cars. Great build!

Thanks again.

Offline cmursick

« Reply #2958 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
thanks well now i have changed directions and have decided to build a belly tank i picked up the tank last night and from what i hear was the side load 3 speed rear end for the flatty i am building for this project. that being said im a long ways off but want to head in the right direction i am wanting to run vintage class so any help with what rear end to use and gear ratios would be great or do i run a quick change well any help would be great thanks again t for all the help and great info
I do it Because every one around me says" you cant do that"...

Offline overdue

Hello
« Reply #2959 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm Dave, I'm in northern Utah, and I'm trying for 255 MPH for my first benchmark. My ultimate goal is 301. I'm not currently interested in records or classes, just running a number, however much safety equipment it takes.
 I'm not too smart for starting with an '86 Camaro, but it was available, affordable, straight, and a platform I'm familiar with. The aftermarket support can't be argued, the SE Racecraft Trans Am doing 298 back in '89 gives me some hope. Swapping the nose and spoiler would be easy if necessary.
 For power, I was indeed influenced by Hot Rod magazine getting 1203 HP from a salvaged pickup-truck 4.8L engine, as was every car guy I've talked to. But I've actually bought one, same year, disassembled it, tossed the cam, gotten the same-casting-number heads ported, and my cylinders are honed. Next up is re-gapping the rings.
 Thing is, this is going to be legally driven to the salt. Yep, an emissions-friendly build. I won't be running in 2014, but 2015 will be more than enough time. I'll just spectate this year, if possible.
 I'll start a build thread soon. Just now ordered a nice used 2.75:1 gear set for a 9" Ford axle I don't yet have, in fact. Transmission will be a 4L80E.
 I'm frustrated that there are no top-speed tires for 18" wheels so I can fit 14" brakes front and rear, with 6-piston calipers all around. Anyone started petitioning Goodyear to remedy this?

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2960 on: February 21, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum.
Some quick advise- tow any race car with an automatic trans on a trailer at the salt. The distance traveled flat towing will wipe out the trans. We learned this the hard way. As side from that, 4l80e is an excellent choice. You can also buy a little 12v hydraulic pump and check valve that they use for towing behind an RV.
Mickey Thomson does make 18" tires that are 30 inches tall but I would not worry too much about brakes at Bonneville. We were running about your target speeds with a Corvette and we only had 86 Camaro iroc brakes on it. Not an issue.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2961 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »
BTw, even if you drive the car to salt, you cannot drive it in the pits. It will need to be towed. Crazy rule but I'm sure it is there for a reason.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2962 on: February 21, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »
For the sake of the discussion, the "no driving/riding race vehicles in the pits (or anywhere save on the course itself) rule is there because a rule, race vehicles don't have the quick steering and good brakes needed to try to avoid a crash with someone else, and also because visibility from the driver/rider position is often compromised.  That's all -- safety stuff, as always. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline overdue

« Reply #2963 on: March 01, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Thanks, all 3 of you!
 I don't want to seem argumentative, please continue to advise.
 Seems you can give better advice if you have a better idea of what I'm working at.
 So if what you read below is blatantly impossible, please explain why.
 Towing an auto in neutral is no problem if the engine is idling. Seems it should be permitted since I'll have turbos muffling it, even if real mufflers aren't permitted.
 I already found the M/T 18" tires, liking the 26.5" by 9" for the front, on 'vette 8.5" wheels which are common and very affordable. The big brakes are for road use, I'm not changing to small brakes for a few passes. This won't be a B'ville-only car, it has to also run the Silver State, Pike's Peak, Power Tour, One Lap, Laguna Seca, eventually the Nurburgring and the autobahn, et cetera.
 I understand why slow steering is best for high speed, but I also discovered that the 182-MPH ZR1 of '90-'95 had quicker steering than the 154-MPH normal Corvettes. So maybe I don't need the IROC-Z 12:1 on the salt, but I also have the far slower steering box from the base-model Camaro that my car was built as. Lee Manufacturing will rebuild it better than new, if I don't swap to Ford Pinto rack/pinion, and thanks to the street rod market, there are many ratios offered for those steering racks.
 My support vehicle is a full-size, long-bed, late-model, RWD pickup truck with a traction diff.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2964 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
I guess you could tow with the engine running if you were hooked up with a tow bar.  You'd also have to have a driver in the towed vehicle any time it is running.   
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2965 on: March 01, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
  Let me take Stan's thought a little further and use a hypothetical scenario.
  I have gotten our of my racecar so hot and dehydrated that I was showing signs of heat prostration when the crew showed up to tow me back to the pits.
  Lets just say for kick's that I started the car in neutral and while being towed became disoriented and somehow engaged the transmission.
  I will leave what next could happen to your imagination, but I can forsee many things which could happen, none of them good (car on fire, ramming tow vehicle, spinning tow vehicle, etc.),
  It is just one more thing for our Safety Personnel to worry about.  It sounds like Rob has offered a easy fix.

Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2966 on: March 01, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
Towing a high speed race vehicle some where around 10 miles back to the pits or impound will cause additional wear on expensive tires. load it on a trailer and save yourself a lot of worry. Bob D. is correct on driver discomfort after a run and usually wants to talk with the crew while things are still fresh.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline overdue

« Reply #2967 on: March 01, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
See, you guys are great! Things I hadn't even considered.  :cheers:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2968 on: March 02, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
You could let the car idle while towing if you were not concerned about heating things up. We always fight to keep thing cool. The most import thing is to at least get out there. You can't break anything at Bonneville if you don't get it there and through tech.  Cheers! I gotta tell you, the salt is very addicting.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #2969 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Just put one item at the top of the page.

They didn't get to be heros by pushing the car back to the pits.

Consider the tires.

I don't care who pushed or towed their car in the past,

tires are expensive and cuts and wear can happen.

Did you push or tow the car to the Salt?

Just adapt the trailer for easy access.

Put it on the trailer and be a lot safer and cheaper.

Our past experiences caused us to use this plan.

I know, the Target550 'liner is moved in a carrier but it's

not pushed or towed on it's tires.

FREUD

Since '63