Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275107 times)

Offline Turbofan

• New folks
  • Martin
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2355 on: September 21, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »
Delighted to have found this site.  Spent several hours browsing around, (found the site while looking for a link to 'Taylor Made Wheels'), and would like to introduce myself.
  Martin Sechrist, absolutely no LSR credentials but one of the SCTA clubs (Land Speed Racers) was willing to take me under their wing and it seems I will be able to make a pass or two at El Mirage sometime this year or next.
  In spite of reading the rule book (honest I really did) it was the recent article in Hot Rod that made me realize a- 1.3 miles is really a short course. b- even if there is no current record for my ride, I won't be setting one, as there is a pesky thing called a Minimum, and mine is like, 185 mph. (can anyone really hang on to a bike at 185 with no faring?)

Still excited to be here and looking forward to finding horsepower and traction.
"Live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this than some people do in a lifetime"... and on a bike as slow as mine, the mile does seem to take 5 minutes!

Offline Chris08Bus

• The most fun you can have with your pants on!
« Reply #2356 on: September 21, 2012, 04:54:58 AM »
7.C.2 ...
     C: Required over 175MPH ...
         4: Full spine protection is required. Aerodynamic humps will not meet spine protection requirement.

A lot of riders wear a vest with spine protection under their leathers.

Thanks for the swift reply.  I can see that as clear as day in the rule book, just wanted to make sure that it was the actual practice at the air strip. I know safety gear is important above all other things!  Thanks again.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2357 on: September 21, 2012, 05:43:34 AM »
The rules are there for the safety of the competitors and to ensure even competition. If some one with a 175+ bike attends without a back protector we find a loaner for them. 

Joe

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2358 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »
It is no problem "hanging " on at 200mph naked. Brenda Sue ran 4 miles at Bonneville, naked, most of it she was over 200mph, I ran 209+ at Loring and I am OLD, :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2359 on: September 21, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
Come on Fred, you are younger then I am.

Joe

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #2360 on: September 21, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
That does not mean I am not old, you are just older :evil:
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2361 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »
Every time I get pizzed that I am stuck behind a slow old person driving or hear of that elderly person that 'mistakes the brake for the gas' at a 7-11 and plows into the store, I instantly get angry and think all old people should be banned from driving all together.

Then I think that Fred has his hat and I dont.....

Fred proves that not ALL old people smell and cant drive.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2362 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:12 AM »
The other thing to remember Jonny is that while it may seem logical now to act against all older folk, you too will reach that point only too soon and you'll realize what you really wanted to do was act against incompetent drivers of any age.  :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #2363 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
Welcome JK!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2364 on: September 24, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Fred - we are not old.  As in fine wine, we are "vintage".

Joe

Offline Das Bullet

• New folks
« Reply #2365 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Jim Cosgrove, went to the salt for the first time in 2000. Was addicted from the start. My Father inlaw Frank and I started building a lakester in 05 and ran it for the first time in 07. We are now the FBGL record holder at Bonneville, ECTA and LTA. Been Lurking for a while, just wanted to say hello and send a donation for all that Slim does to feed our addiction.

Jim

Offline Tman

« Reply #2366 on: September 26, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Jim Cosgrove, went to the salt for the first time in 2000. Was addicted from the start. My Father inlaw Frank and I started building a lakester in 05 and ran it for the first time in 07. We are now the FBGL record holder at Bonneville, ECTA and LTA. Been Lurking for a while, just wanted to say hello and send a donation for all that Slim does to feed our addiction.

Jim

Welcome Jim, been a fan of your lakester for a while now.

Offline dw230

« Reply #2367 on: September 26, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
Jim is proof that evryone does not have to run some version of the SBC to be a class record holder. Well done.

Re: post #2359 - to clarify for the new comer, Brenda Sue was NOT naked - the bike was in a naked class. Another well done.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Polly29

• New folks
« Reply #2368 on: September 28, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Hello Everyone...

This marks the official start date of my commitment, and ongoing dedication to a sport up until about three months ago I knew nothing about.  I have learned most of what I know from a Landracing Record Holder (who happens to be very near and dear to my heart), and my own searching for additional information.  My focus is to revamp/prepare myself and my 03 SV650 motorcycle to race in the year 2013.  I bought this motorcycle in 03, rode for about 1000 miles and parked it, switching my interest and "payments" to an 05 R6 which I absolutely loved more than anything!  Anyway, until now I was unsure why I held on to my 03 SV650 rather than selling it long ago.

My background is in motocross.  I've been riding since I was 13 years old, started racing motox at 16, then as I got older endurance racing.  Unfortunately, as one would say "the older the wiser" but not in my case.  The older I became, the more confident in my ability to tackle stunts with and without instruction...needless to say not all stunts ended nicely.  My "adrenaline junky" personality and sense for adventure, and all I've heard about Landracing is what brought me here.

I'm looking for information on how to get started, what I need to do to my bike to get it ready, how I should prepare myself, and what exactly does it "feel" like to ride a motorcycle on the salt? Glass, ice, sand over concrete,a sandy beach? (forgive my ignorance)

That's it for now, but all inforamtion is welcome!!

Polly

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #2369 on: September 28, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
Welcome Polly, it is always good to have new ladies, especially one that rides motorcycles, here on LR.com. We will try and help you all we can. Riding on the salt is hard to describe. So much depend on the conditions at the time. At best I would say it is like a hard packed dirt road. If it is wet not so good. First thing you need to get is a rule book.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH