Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267535 times)

Offline DND

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2265 on: June 23, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »
Hi Karson

Looking forward to seeing your Willys take shape, do you have a build log for that car on another forum since it is not a LSR car?

Don

Offline EatonRacing

• New folks
« Reply #2266 on: June 26, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Hi my name is Chris Eaton

I've always wanted to go to Bonneville. My dad went last year to speedweek but work has prevented me from going. I will miss it again this year because of a new job but I hope to go soon and I'd like to take a car with me.  I have to figure out what class to build for though, just looking though them I wish the 50's era cars were not grouped in classic with the 80's era.  I would consider doing something with a Ford YBlock but I don't know that I could ever shoot for a record with one, given the layout of the classes. (I'm assuming that the cars must have a version of the original production engine in them).

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2267 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
Chris - welcome

Joe

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2268 on: June 28, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
Chris:

Welcome. My advice is to put a stake in the ground at some future date. Build, buy or partner on something to get there. Once you do...you will figure out how to keep going.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline benn8411

• New folks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2269 on: June 30, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
My name is Chris, been lurking the forums for awhile.

Served two terms in two different branches of the military and now I'm a full time college student with a wife and three kids.

I live about an hour north of Panama City living in family housing on campus and building a 2010 Triumph Thruxton to race at Maxton in my spear bedroom....

Offline Animedevildog

• New folks
« Reply #2270 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
My name is Justin, and I have always had a fascination with motorcycles, and taking them to the limit.

Since taking them to the limit on the streets is a very bad thing, I have made it my goal to build myself a bike to make my own LSR run.
The bike I want to do this on? A 1998 Honda Shadow 750.
I choose this bike because I absolutely love the Honda Shadow, and also just about EVERY single Shadow owner out there seems to think that it would be impossible.

Would anyone ever set any records if they listened to everyone who says that word?

Anyways, I am looking forward to finding a lot of useful information here, and maybe sharing with you all my LSR attempt.

Offline SCAATY

• New folks
« Reply #2271 on: July 05, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
Ok, first thing, both me and my partner are newbies at Land Speed Racing.  Although we both have been lurking around this site and building a car for a year now, I know we have a LOT to learn.  Hopefully, the immeasurable amount of knowledge on this board will keep us pointed in the right direction.  The comaraderie and sharing of knowledge is certainly one of the main draws for us to this type of racing.  All the strange cars and weird people are fun too!!

For some background, I am a retired machinist with a life long interest in things motorized:  muscle cars, Tri 5 Chevys, race cars, Street Rods, Harleys, Bobbers...you get the picture.  My partner in this adventure is a self-employed auto-bike mechanic.  After years of working for Ford and Harley Davidson, he now has his own successful business.  He also is a life-long enthusiast and his list of cars and bikes probably wouldn't fit on this page!  Suffice to say we are "like-minded".

The car we are building is a '53 Studebaker with some type of standard small block Chevy or SB2.  We will be running gas in competition coupe.

Hope this serves as a decent intro to you guys.  Although our car won't be ready this year, we plan to be there to observe and look forward to meeting some of you.

SCAATY
'53 Studebaker
B/GCC
SCAATY
"Still Crazy After All These Years"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2272 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
Scatty, welcome to the forum. By now you have probably figured that salt fever lasts forever and requires a yearly fix. Sounds like you two have found a new home/venue to take up a lot of your time. You might want to join us on the Tuesday night chat line as well. Lots of good people and tons of information plus many contacts throughout the country. Looking forward to meeting you guys and don't forget SALT TALKS on Sunday night at the bend in the road. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DND

« Reply #2273 on: July 08, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
Hi Glen

Last tues nite was my first time on the chat line, now i see Salt Talks on the bend of the road?

Differenet topics maybe and how do i find it, thanks

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2274 on: July 08, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »
Don:

Salt Talks isn't a topic thread on this Forum - well, it is but isn't.  That is - Salt Talks is a big picnic that Nancy and I put on Sunday night of SpeedWeek.  It's for everyone, especially those that are on the Forum and usually go months at a time without seeing those that they're chatting with on the Forum.  It's the land speed racer's gathering.

We have a thread going 'cause I ask for donations to give away at the raffle that's a part of Salt Talks, and that thread also is for anyone to post queries and comments about Salt Talks.  Salt Talks is held at the Bend in the Road.  We commonly have 400 or so people attending - make it 401 by showing up this year, okay?  And if you try to use the lame excuse about not going to SpeedWeek but rather to WoS - we're probably going to have a Salt Talks for that event, too.  Gotcha! :lol:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lizrdbrth

• New folks
« Reply #2275 on: July 09, 2012, 01:17:25 AM »
Howdy,

Getting together with a few friends and hoping to put together an entry-level "30 day wonder" 250cc bike in time for the August El Mirage meet.

I promise to bury you all in clueless newbie questions.

Be gentle.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:28:16 AM by lizrdbrth »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2276 on: July 09, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
Everyone here was a rookie at one time.    All inquiries are welcome.

Joe

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #2277 on: July 09, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
 :-o  No Elmo meet in August,,,we'll all be in Utah !!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline lizrdbrth

• New folks
« Reply #2278 on: July 09, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »
Told you I was clueless. :-D

Note to self: Refrain from posting in the wee hours.

Anyway, we'll be in El Mirage next w/e to become smarter, back in Sept. to race.

Offline lizrdbrth

• New folks
« Reply #2279 on: July 09, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
I gotta relate a quick story. I apologize for not recalling the names of all the persons involved, but they should be familiar to many of you.

Beginning a number of years ago we occasionally showed up at the El Mirage meets as spectators/ peripheral dirt bikers.

On one such occasion we met the gal who used to pilot the Salted Peanut. I'm told she has since passed, but she took a liking to our kids and made quite a fuss over them, then she and another driver whisked them away to the compound on the east end of the dry lake where we actually got to bump elbows with and view the machinery of folks I'd only read about as a wildeyed, zit-faced kid.

They never forgot that day and neither have I. I've been involved with other types of racing, and maybe it was only coincidence but I'd never been around another group of racers of any kind who would actually tell me how I could beat their own records if I'd only get out there.

So here I is, pile of parts and rulebook in hand....
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:13:36 PM by lizrdbrth »