Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267245 times)

Online salt27

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2250 on: May 27, 2012, 12:54:19 AM »
Vince,
Welcome to the site.
I recall talking to you at SpeedWeek the last couple years.

Don

Offline m610

« Reply #2251 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Name: Mike Meier
Where: Davis, CA
What: Retired materials science/lab manager/teacher
Why: First timer on the salt.

Anyway, ungainfully retired but keeping things together doing gigs writing and programming (instrument control, plant operations, and other non-business apps).

Motorsports-wise, I've done nearly 60 track days and I instruct track newbies. Also, I've been racing in LeMons for the past two years and we've done OK. Actually, better than expected.

The car is a 1969 Opel GT that we found on eBay. It had been sitting in an orchard for 25 years, but we scrubbed it up and raced it, broke a bunch of stuff but fixed it and are still racing it. The car is pretty solid now. Cheap, but solid. We dressed it up to look like one of the Compuware Corvettes. Our team is Team Tinyvette. Our Facebook page is - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Tinyvette/192201637460668

Our next event will be the 24 hour race at Buttonwillow. After that, we want to bring it to Bonneville. We had visions of being the "World's Fastest LeMon", which would only be possible if we were the first LeMons car to run on the salt because most other LeMons cars are faster than us on a closed course. But this car's aero is actually pretty good and we tend to catch cars at the ends of long straights. We're hoping that will help us at Bonneville.

We've hit 115 on a closed course, so we should be able to do better on a long straight, although I have no idea how much the salt will be working against us. A stock Opel GT will reach 120 mph at red line. We may show up with a stock GT and doubtful will make it to 130 mph, but if we go ahead and get that 5 speed Getrag, it could be possible.

The rules for Speed Week are such that we could never get the car to meet specs and still be a LeMons racer. The SCTA folks recommended the 130 MPH club, so here I am.

I've gone through the rules carefully several times and other than valve stems and maybe the drive shaft, the car is good to go. It is registered, insured, and street driven.

I'm here to learn more and to have a few questions answered regarding the rules, few as they are, and the logistics of doing these events.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2252 on: May 30, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
Welcome.  You done your homework good.  You've picked the right event.  I've loved reading about the LeMons racing -- looks like great fun.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the salt.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Heand1987

• New folks
« Reply #2253 on: June 01, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
i am heand from los angeles,CA. a good day to all and your cars too.

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #2254 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:54 PM »
My name is Gabe Gorton.  From Wenatchee area in WA.  I first got interested in land speed racing when talking to a former boss of mine.  He was on the crew for a Stude in the 90s I believe.  Having been a mechanic and car guy since before I could drive I just had to check it out.  Any way that summer I decided to stop by Bonneville on my way to school in Colorado.  It happened to be the day the pits opened for speed week so I stayed on the corner of the access road.  Saw so many cars and bikes I had seen in magazines that I had to come back.  That year I picked up an 81 suzuki with the intention of racing it but it has evolved drascically since then.  There aren't even any parts left of that origional bike now.  I came back in 2010 with a few buddies and was able to stay a few days and really check it out and my whole plan got kicked in to high gear.  Was going to modify the frame of the '81 to fit an 04 gsxr motor I came across (about twice the power, twice the revs, and a better chance of going fast) then of course I figured since I had gone that far I would build a purpose built frame and run the 650APS-G class.  That brings me to this year, got the BNI membership with the intention of shooting for speed week but money will be a bit tight for it this year.  But the story doesn't end there, I was getting the bike mocked up and decided I wasn't happy with the frame so I decided to redesign it and go in to yet another class.  I am finally setteling on a gsxr 600 powered streamliner, if your going to do it might as well go big I guess.  So right now I am putting all that engineering schooling to use and designing the frame, hoping to be running it next year if not, the following year for sure.  But I should be making an run to Bonneville for speed week this year to watch anyway so I am sure I will see many of you there.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #2255 on: June 03, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »
Hello all.  I've been reaping the benefits of this forum long enough I guessed it was time I joined in.  I'm a newbie, just finishing the build on a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda that I hope to have ready for this upcoming SpeedWeek.  I live in Seattle, am new to racing, but like many others have been drawn to making a run on the Salt after making a few visits to the World Finals and to the last SpeedWeek.  I've been angling for a ride for a while now; last November I was able to buy the in-progress 'cuda.  There was (is) plenty of work left for me to do, but at least the basics were already laid out.  The car will run the 170 ci slant 6 motor; class will be F/CPRO (open record).

My goals for this season are to make the journey, pass tech, make some runs down the course, test my driving skills, and give the car a general shakedown.  Once that's done, then I'll start pushing the limits and see where it takes me.  Thanks to all the info you've shared for me and other newbies on this board.  I look forward to an exciting time come August.  Hope to see a bunch of you there.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2256 on: June 03, 2012, 09:26:52 PM »
Welcome aboard and you have the correct attitude....shakedown first.....then go for it!
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline AaronFord

• New folks
Aaron Ford
« Reply #2257 on: June 06, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
Hello all, I am from Fairmont WV and am interested in doing some shakedown runs in my wife's leftover LX5 Intrigue.  I attended the June 2-3 meet at Wilmington and had a great time walking through the staging lanes talking to the racers.  I have been reading here to find more information on aero (fighting nose lift and tail squat) and governor removal.  The car should be good for the 135 class with an extinguisher.  I am not interested in setting the world ablaze but after watching a guy have a ball with a Grand prix GXp, I thought, "Why not?"  I look forward to reading more archived posts and active discussion.  Aaron
The only time Success comes before Work is in the dictionary...   Terry Freeman

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2258 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »
Welcome, Aaron.  We're glad to have you here.  First things first, though:  Would you be so kind as to go back into the registration part of your "Profile" and enter you location?  That way we'll see where you're from every time you post, and that makes it easier for someone that doesn't know anything about you to discover that (for instance) he's not all that far away and could drop in for a visit, or when you're looking for a shop to help you with something -- another of us might be able to recommend someplace that's not too far from you.

We haven't yet met in person, but that's okay -- lots of us on the Forum haven't meet (in person).  We'll get to know you soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2259 on: June 08, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
Aaron, welcome to the forum. It's always good to have new people with a positive first time experience
at a event. This is a unique sport with a lot of people that enjoy and include their families as a part. Maybe someday you will make it to Bonneville and get salt fever that will never go away and requires a fix each year. What ever you decide to do you will find tons of support on the site and within the associations that make it happen. Enjoy your new venture. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Todd553

• New folks
« Reply #2260 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Hi everyone,
My name is Todd Haas. We run a 34 roadster at Bonneville. I've been on this sight many times and decided it was time to sign up. It is a great source of information. I love going to Bonneville every year. The racing is great but the people have been fortunate enough to meet have been even better. Thanks so much for the forum.
Thank you,
Todd

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #2261 on: June 11, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »
Our new website is up and running ~

www.fastfourspecial.com

See you on the salt! :cheers:
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline PhilStubbs

• New folks
« Reply #2262 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
Just saying hi. I found this place after deciding to build a 50cc LSR motorcycle. Hoping I can get some questions answered involving class and rules. I see a fuel injection section, hopefully I can be of some assistance in there. I have done lots of tuning with fuel injection.

Offline kberjian

• New folks
« Reply #2263 on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
Name: Karson Berjian
Where: Calgary, AB, Canada
What: Mechanical Engineer
Why: Learn and have fun

I have had a passion for speed since I was a kid and fortunately my job has given me opportunities to explore it. My first car was a 2004 Neon SRT-4 which I worked on building for drag racing. While that was being built I bought a 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Commemorative Edition to keep me up to speed. I got the Neon togther at over 800 hp, but due to traction and breakages I gave up on it. I also am in progress of building a rear engined SRT-4 / 1929 Willys Whippet, and am about 50% done with it. I have always loved watching Bonneville movies and speed runs and decided to get the Neon in a condition that it will be able to challenge the record for F/PS. I will start a build thread for the Neon to hopefully get some ideas on how I can get it ready for 2013. I did also manage to convince my wife I needed a better winter car with AWD that is good on gas, it ended up with me buying a 2005 Mitsubishi EVO 8.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2264 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
Karson, welcome to the forum. We have several Canadians on the forum that are land speed racers. You might want to get on the chat line tonight at 7:00 pm mountian time. We have a lot of fun and it's a great way to meet new friends. I really like the 29 Willy's pproject. Keep sending pictures of the build.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah