Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275450 times)

Offline fast_TA

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2220 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
We will actually be going to world of speed he say he likes that one better.  He has never been to Speedweek though.  KInda like my kids hate something eventhough they have never tried it.  But his car so I will just go to what he wants to do.

Offline Tman

« Reply #2221 on: May 01, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is chris, found out about this forum on HAMB. I've always had a interest in lsr, now I'm gonna bite the bullet and make a serious attempt at putting one of these things together. Been building cars/trucks, both street and race, all my life and my trade is in the auto industry(auto body, 18yrs worth), but I have to admit when it comes to lsr I'm a rookie. So figure this would be a great place to learn. Right now just in the planning stage, victory loves preparation, right. Really intersted in the process and theory more than trying to break records, I live along way from bonneville and won't get to go very many times, but I'll take what I can get.                                    Thanks again, glad to be here 

Welcome, where you from?

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #2222 on: May 02, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
 I'm JC Sparks from Grafton Ohio.  I've been Top Fuel racing since 1979. I've owned and operated a custom industrial tool shop since 1985. I've never been to the salt, but I'm thinking about coming out this year.  JC
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2223 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
Howdy, have fun!!
Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2224 on: May 05, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
Welcome JC,

We raced in Wilmington Ohio last weekend.. ECTA Ohio Mile Event,,, we will be back 3 more events this year at Wilmington.

If you are near you can drop by and see some standing mile land speed racing and look at the cars etc.. many of them have been to Bonneville and many more are prepping to go.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline adam401

• New folks
« Reply #2225 on: May 06, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
Hello,
My name is Adam.  Im from Rhode Island and found out about this website from the Jalopy Journal and the SCTA site.  I have no land speed experience but have built cars and hot rods and am building a 34 Ford coupe that I would like to build lsr legal.  I have been interested in land speed racing for years and have decided that I don't want to wait any more.  Im 34 with a young family and a blue collar job so I'll be very interested in learning from those more experienced to cut out the expensive mistakes and do-overs.  Thanks for having me.
Looking for a 34 ford car hood

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2226 on: May 06, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
Adam, you've found your new internet home.  The "bad" part of that is that you'll take a chance of spending many hours on line -- when you might be building that '34.

Okay - so you want to build a car for land speed racing.  First of all!!!!!! Get yourself a rule book from the SCTA and the other venues at which you think you'll race.  (Did you know that there's a yearly (twice yearly, I think) event in Loring, Maine?  That has to be closer to you than is Bonneville or even Wilmington, Ohio).  Now that I've told you once about getting a rule book - - I'll tell you again.  Get a rule book (or two, or three).  Really - - you'll be glad you did.  The rule book has the information and specs you'll need to know when building your car, and it has those even if something is cornfusing to you.  That's when you go to this Forum and ask a question about it and get a handful of answers, some with photos.  But first, get a rule book from each track where you might race.

Thanks for at least telling us you're from RI.  I'll go to your registration Profile and enter that -- unless you''ll do it.  Put in your town and state, please.  With that said -- howdy.  Welcome to the Forum.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:43:17 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2227 on: May 06, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
Adam.
Good news is you decided not to wait any longer.  I decided I was going to Bonneville when I read about it in Hot Rod Magazine in 1962. Took me until 2006 to get there. Should have done it a lot sooner.

Joe

Offline laobier

• New folks
« Reply #2228 on: May 09, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Hi, I'm Bill, a retired mechanical engineer living in Washington state.  As an 18 year old (1948) I ran at the dry lakes and later at Bonneville.  Now, I'm 82 and building a XO-VOT car for Bonneville and expect to run it in 2013.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:13:35 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2229 on: May 13, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
Bill.

Good luck hope to see you on the salt.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2230 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Bill, a retired mechanical engineer living in Washington state.  As an 18 year old (1948) I ran at the dry lakes and later at Bonneville.  Now, I'm 82 and building a XO-VOT car for Bonneville and expect to run it in 2013.

At your age you'll fit right in. Good luck with the project. We'll look forward to seeing it.

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2231 on: May 13, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
Bill, how about a little more info on what you ran etc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Ron Clevenger

• New folks
« Reply #2232 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »
Name is Ron Clevenger, been a drag racer for over 50+ years. Three generations of us now with grandkids holding lic also now. But grandson has a desire to do something with LSR so I'm checking it out a little closer.

I always like a challenge in my builds, and time is running out for me age wise so if it's going to happen with LSR it's got to happen ASAP :-D.

Currently we race two dragsters, one is a conventional blown alcohol BBC deal and my personal car (dragster) is a blown gas non-intercooled deal pushing 40 psi through it. The blown alcohol dragster will run about 210 mph @ 6.60 sec and the blown gas deal will run about 220 mph @ 6.20's.

We are not sure what class might fit us, possibly streamliner. Certainly know for sure that my blown gas deal will not make a couple of miles flat out without melting :-o.

But anyway, we are looking and scratching our heads for now....................Blessings

Creekside Racing Ministry.....John 14:6
Ron Clevenger and family

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2233 on: May 16, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
Ron, bring the group to any of the salt events this year and check out the cars....  SpeedWeek would be best, the largest variety and you will see how the same class can be done with totally different vehicles.  If you like 1/4 mile racing, you will love 5 mile racing.   All you have to do is build a dragster that is too heavy, geared to high to launch itself, and put a motor in it that is close enough to the edge to make lots of power but will run WOT for 5 miles at least twice.
Order 3 rule books, one for each generation, read 10 times before coming to the salt, then you will know what you are looking at as well as have an idea of what kind of car you want to build.
Welcome to our world... be careful, LSR is quite addictive
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2234 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
I think Stainless oughta copyright or otherwise save that answer.  It's to the point, not condescending, succinct, and completely true. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records