Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2272740 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2160 on: March 12, 2012, 01:35:34 AM »
  Sparky, unless you are connected with SoCal Speedshop or friends with a certain magazine editor, you would have a much better chance if you put a Cat Deisel engine in a rusty Pinto of getting any ink.
  Why people keep subscribing to Magazines that have more pages of add content than car or technical articles is beyond me.
  I guess the few hundred of us self supporting (for the most part) racers who try to make do with home made rather than billet parts (and yes I have a few on my car) will most likely only get ink if the steering breaks and we careen wildly through the pits (hopefully taking out a few ratrods and "tourists") at the same time.
  Now I guaranty you, that will get you coverage................. Bob
Bob Drury

Offline kickstart

• New folks
« Reply #2161 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
new guy from central florida
Its a long way to the salt from here, but I will be there again this fall
I found this place from the Jockey Journal
I hope to learn more about the salt, I may even try to bring a motorcycle this year :cheers:
just been a spectator before

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2162 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
Welcome Kickstart...........I was a 1st-timer spectator in 2009................came back in 2011 and now hold a speed record......you have to play to win.........or at least get noticed.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline delta-tom

• New folks
« Reply #2163 on: March 18, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
Hi everybody, I am Tommy Classon from overseas Sweden. I´m 54 years......( NO, this is not possible....?) I ve had a streamliner project in the back of my head for 20 years or so. Now it has moved to the front of my head.... There has been a lot of things coming in the way for my Streamliner, (32 hot rods, corvette race car, houses etc ) but now it finally seems to become a reality... Lets hope for the best !
Best regards,
delta-tom

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2164 on: March 18, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
Delta Tom, welcome to the forum and hope your dream becomes reality. There are many on the site to help you with your build and questions. Let us know what the build is, engine etc.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2165 on: March 18, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
tough finding parts in Sweden but Lars manages to find them in Denmark ... good luck and get it done ...
Joe

Offline delta-tom

• New folks
« Reply #2166 on: March 19, 2012, 02:39:51 AM »
Hey, thanks guys ! Of course, some of the parts need to be shipped here, but UPS comes to my door also... Lars in Denmark ?? Is it Lars Byder ? It s only five hrs away and I know a couple of Lars´s down there.
-----TOM-----

Offline superleggera

« Reply #2167 on: March 25, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
Hi from the Northwest!

I've been a follower of landspeed racing exploits from Mickey and Craig, the Summer Bros, Al Teague, Don Vesco, Ermie and to the exploits of many today.  In 2008, after showing (and winning) for a customer at the Pebble Beach concours d'elegance, I bee-lined it to Bonneville to watch a good friends wife get into the 200mph club driving the Ferguson streamliner.  I've been hooked solidly ever since.

This year bringing down a small crew to run some Ducati motorcycles -- and putting the parts in place to build a (4-wheel) Ducati-powered streamliner to gain experience.  Yes -- I have a passion for Ducati's coursing through my veins as well.  Recently in Los Angeles / Pasadena and Long Beach and tapping the knowledge of many long time racers, but realize that many questions and people connections still to be made to do this right, properly and safely.

Mark Savory -- Milton, WA
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:00:28 PM by superleggera »
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2168 on: March 25, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Mike, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a interesting build. You will get a lot of input(help) on this web site. There are a bunch of LSR people up there with you in the wet country. Keep us posted on the build.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2169 on: March 25, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
Hello from the wilds of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Mark - and welcome to the forum.  Superleggera -- there's something familiar about that name.  Care to enlighten us?

Other than that -- have a great time here.  It'll help you to keep the fires burning bright while you're waiting for the trip to Bville.  If there's anything we can do for you -- well, not anything -- we can't magically make a few MPH appear in your vehicle  - - we'll try to help.

Best regards from Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2170 on: March 25, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
Mark - Welcome - this is not racing as most know it but rather an addiction.

Offline superleggera

« Reply #2171 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
"superleggera" -- Italian for "super light" -- famous method of coachbuilding used by Touring of Milan (Italy) for clothing many of the great pre-WWII Alfa Romeo's and early postwar Ferrari's. I've used this same username for 20+ yrs on other forums and started when I restored a 1949 Ferrari 166MM Barchetta...

As for Northwest enthusiasts?  I'm looking for currently to learn more -- so send me a "hi" if there are any northwest get togethers or shop tours.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2172 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
well you just missed the North West Land Speed racers reunion in Portland. This is a yearly event and a must do if you live up there. There will be a few contact you probably with in 24 hours. Glen Freud, Marlo treit, Bob Drury, and a few others, even a biker or two.

Enjoy the trip.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2173 on: March 25, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »

As for Northwest enthusiasts?  I'm looking for currently to learn more -- so send me a "hi" if there are any northwest get togethers or shop tours.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

And Welcome from the remnants of the "Northwest Territories".

You just missed what I understand is a classic get together that Freud puts together every year.  I keep threatening to book a flight.

Put your "Dukes' Up!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline superleggera

« Reply #2174 on: March 26, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

You just missed what I understand is a classic get together that Freud puts together every year.  I keep threatening to book a flight.

Yup -- exactly what I'm looking for -- too bad I missed.  When in LA a few weeks ago, it was educational when you get a bunch of people assessing what I was doing and offering suggestions and thoughts.  I still get a kick out of Isky when at lunch getting excited by the Ducati desmodromic valve opening system and camshaft profiles available.  Ditto for others discussing pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and misc mechanical.  Plus the feedback was good -- initially I wanted to do a 2-wheel Ducati streamliner but they mapped a path so I could do a 4-wheel Ducati powered streamliner and to get experience (myself/crew) on the salt itself sooner. (we will revisit the 2-wheel streamliner but it will allow us to develop the aerodynamic and packaging within and give us SALT experience and tested components for later when ready)

Most of the folks I deal with are from my OLD IMSA GTP, CART/IRL, MotoGP and vintage racing / restoration world.  Good for fabrication, material application and some engineering -- but Bonneville has it's own specialized application directly for speed and safety rules.

I'll post upcoming on the Ducati 999 we will run this year to learn basic tech inspection, licensing and making passes down the salt.  Plus we want to get experience with another team to launch / retrieve a streamliner so we will be prepared in 2013.