Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2275322 times)

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2145 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
That would be my guess....  they were ALL KINDS of stuck out there.  As was at least one or two of the 'rescue' vehicles IIRC ;).

That's a good reason to sit and wait in the line at EOD instead of trying to go around the crowd and skip the exit line in a huge motorhome on soft salt...  Mental note taken...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Freud

« Reply #2146 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
wait in the line at EOD
[/quote]

It took me a while to figure out he means East of Downtown.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:09:05 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #2147 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »
Sorry... that would be 'End of Day'.  Sometimes I use too many TLA's.    (That would be 'Three Letter Acronyms')  :-D

Leaving the salt from the pits at 7pm I think it is, sometimes the line backs up with everyone trying to leave at the same time.  Boyd and crew tried to bypass the line and go parallel down the road on the south side and got stuck out there, deep...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2148 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
Ya mean this . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #2149 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »
Yep... that would be it.   :cheers:
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

Offline dw230

« Reply #2150 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
I am so glad that I leave around 9 PM. Cuts way down on the traffic jam at Lands End.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2151 on: March 08, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
If you can find it.

(In the dark, I mean.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #2152 on: March 09, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »
The year, 2010 - I got lost coming off the salt one evening(first time in 40+ years) while texting and driving. Santa Claus brought me a Garmin and I set points at all areas of the salt I visit. Never lost again!

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2153 on: March 09, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
Famous last words Dan!  :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil:

Keep it charged!

Pete

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2154 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
  Having, through my towing missadventures getting to Speedweek last year, gotton to know Mr. Tow (whose trucks became victims of the Coddington Fiasco) he related to me that the BLM has notified him of their Intent To Sue because of the damage he caused to the salt while trying to rescue the idiots involved with the Coddington's.
  That is why his current rate of Salt Flats retrieval start at $600. and up.            Bob
Bob Drury

Offline dragsterracer

• New folks
« Reply #2155 on: March 11, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
Hello to all I've been a dragracer all my life and in the last few years i've statred having some intrest in land speed racing syill dont know a lot about the specifics of classifications Im a diesel truck and auto mechanic by trade I have had a lot of success drag racing but have become very intrested in land speed specifically bonaville we have two drag cars now a sbc rear engine dragster it runs top dragster and bracket racing and an 80 modle chevy corvette we run super street and brackets dragster runs 180 mph in quarter mil e and the vette runs 140mph ive wondered if anyone runs there drag cars on the course Im planning to attend a meet soon dont know wich one or when they are any advice for newbie to land speed would be appreciated. thx jeremy

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2156 on: March 11, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »
Hi, Jeremy,. and welcome to the Forum.  I''m the guy that "owns" the website -- I guess I like being considered the "head handlebar holder" for landracing.com.  As the guy that has the control panel I'll ask you to go back to your "profile" - that you filled in somewhat when you registered - and enter your location.  That way we'll all know where you are and maybe someone in the area will want to give more help than can be done easily on the internet.  Thanks -- and if you don't -- I'll make up a town and enter it for you. :evil:

Next -- about your drag vehicles.  Well, since I'm a bike racer I'm not the one to tell you this, but I will, anyway.  The news is that there isn't much in the drag car that will transfer to land speed racing.  The cage especially is WAY different from what is required in LSR, and the engine has to live for at least one full minute at W O T, and on and on.  Here's what you do:  Get a couple of the rulebooks for the organisation you'll be racing with, be it Bonneville (SCTA) or Ohio (ECTA) and so on.  I say a couple of them because you really will want to read them until they're dang near memorised -- and then you start reading them again.  Once your reading you'll find out how much different things are in this avocation.  And that's when this Forum starts being even more valuable -- because you can ask dumb questions and good ones - and you'll get answers.  Since there are no prize dollars at risk here there aren't very many secrets -- everyone will try his best to help you build and rac3e the most competitive car you can have.

One last time:  Welcome to the Forum.  Id you don't want to enter a location I'll move you to something like Scrotum, South Dakota.  Knowing that - howsabout you entering something instead of me?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2157 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »
... ive wondered if anyone runs there drag cars on the course...
I realize this isn't what you're asking, but nevertheless:

In late summer of 1958, Mickey Thompson and Fritz Voight were enroute to the NHRA drag nationals in Oklahoma when they decided to "stop in" at the Bonneville Nationals. The dragster was four-wheel-drive with a pair of injected Chrysler hemi engines. It had almost a full body, but was never intended to be as aerodynamic as the 'liners of the day. Long-story-short, they set a new U.S. record (two-way average of 266.866 MPH), had a one-way pass of 294 (on 30%), and never did make it to the drag nationals (scattered one hemi while attempting a 300+ record with a wee bit too much nitro). Of course you know "the rest of the story" of how this record-setting incident "fired up" Mickey to launch his pursuit of a multitude of land-speed adventures.
[Yes, I'm aware that he was already a veteran of dry-lakes racing, but prior to the success of '555' he'd never even gone 200 MPH]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:14:36 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2158 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »
We even made Hot Rod Magazine:

You guys did better than me---I was the first NA lakester to 3 and have never had a mention other than my time was attributed to someone else  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2159 on: March 12, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
I think the problem you might find in a drag car is the material thickness in a cage.  But didn't Mike Cook run a funny car at one time on the salt and when I visited with John Helash he told me that he ran his ex Galpin Ford Maverick funny car in the early 70's on the salt.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”