Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2273283 times)

Offline spbiknut

• New folks
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2100 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »
Just another new guy with a typical story.  Old time gear head looking to get into LSR.  Have always been a fan of it, but only just getting started.  Currently in the planning stages of a belly tanker powered by a sbc.

One question: I thought there would be more build threads...am I missing something?  Anyway...great site...would like to thank the admins and will be making a donation through paypal.

Will be starting the build this summer...just gathering information right now.

Thanks,
-Troy

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2101 on: February 03, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
Thanks for joining up - and thanks for putting your location into the registration Profile page.  That's something that lots of new folks don't do.  And thanks for the consideration of putting something into the kitty for the website.  There are Paypal buttons in a handful of places around the site.

As for build threads - enjoy what we've got.  I know there are lots more builds going on among the folks on this Forum - but a good build diary takes lots of work and time - for photos, comments, and even planning shots.  So - keep us in mind while you're building and that'll be another diary for us.

One more time - welcome to landracing.com.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
(I'm the "owner" of the site)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline spbiknut

• New folks
« Reply #2102 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Jon,
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'll make sure to start a build thread when the project kicks up.  Two reasons...to get input and advise...and to make a record for future reference.

-Troy

Offline Racemethan

• New folks
« Reply #2103 on: February 04, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
perhaps im in the wrong place, maybe you guys can guide me!!!

Im Luke Vigneault, by day Im vice president in a good size Chrysler, Dodge, Ram & Jeep dealer, I enjoy very much what i do everyday
when im not at work, I now tinker. Most of my adult life I have first drag raced and eventually move on to dirt track racing, Imca dirt mods.....in pursuit of a dream i moved from Texas to NC to give my youngest child a chance to race professionally only to succomb to a disastrous economy and a pretty severe wreck.....she was uninjured, but her desire to continue was significantly affected and approx a year and half ago we quit racing, something that was very difficult for us, since our lifes for over 25 years had revolved around race tracks...

I sold 2 stock cars, lot of parts & equipment, however wasnt quite ready to quit, so i bought a little Dodge Dart with the intention of building another race car that would occasionally see autox or scca solo racing....for years i have been storing an old Anglia and a 392 hemi, a car that I for years fantasized about building to run the salt.....supercharger, alcohol etc.....wanting to run 300 miles an hour.....

however i discovered something that simply stirred me up more, Ely.....since i have spent so much of my life racing on a track, i find it difficult to not pursue that promise, really been looking for a place to go where i can really enjoy people with the same kind of interest, I found the sscc website less than amazing......not to sound like a cliche, however one of the major items in my bucket list is not only to run Ely  but to average 200 over the 90 mile distance.....i havent found any decent high speed site until here.....am I in the right place or can someone direct me to the right place!!!!

Luke

Offline Racemethan

• New folks
« Reply #2104 on: February 04, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
for the last 8 or 9 months, i have been very busy and slightly deviated from my Dart project, however back into it full swing, my current project....

a 1965 Dodge Dart, i didnt not want a tube chassis, i wanted a real car, hence the direction of this project....alterktion front suspension, triangulated 4 bar rear suspension, r3 race block, w9 heads and intake, twin turbos, 6 speed tremec,etc

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:38:09 AM by Racemethan »

Offline Freud

« Reply #2105 on: February 04, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
Everyone here thinks we are in the right spot. Only you can decide after some extensive reading but I promise you,

there is something for every gearhead in the world within these pages.

Going fast in a straight line isn't as simple as it may seem.  Have a look at B'ville before you commit yourself to

your new project.  Step off at Lands End and experience chicken skin.

Forget the Super Bowl and read this site for 8 hours.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Racemethan

• New folks
« Reply #2106 on: February 04, 2012, 12:25:34 PM »
thanks, I never implied for a moment that going fast in a straight line was easy, been around way too long to know better......my interest is more towards what would look like a stock car, except at a very high rate of speed, my Dart would be low, full splitter in the front, the type found on cup cars, large nascar style rear spoiler in the rear, intake vents on the rear decklid to feed the turbos, have some friends in the right places and should be able to get a little bit of wind tunnel time, Im in the heart of Nascar country...
Luke

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #2107 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Keep us posted on your Dart.  There is a thread here for build diaries and we will all enjoy watching your progress.  The Ely race gets mentioned here from time to time.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2108 on: February 04, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
There is a pair of cars that look like "... a stock car..." racing on the Salt.  MacDonald & Pitts Firebird (?) and a V-6 turbo car (can't think of the owner's name right now -- CRS) - - and they both are at or just above 300. 

A spoiler might help, might not -- visit some of the threads here that talk about 'em, and make sure you're ready to move it around a lot when you go to the wind tunnel.  You'll be surprised.  Full splitter on the front?  I'm not a Nascar type and therefore don't know what that is -- but before you show up with one you'll need to make sure it's legal in the class you've chosen.

As to whether you're in the right place or not -- Freud's got it right.  Yes, you are in the best of all possible places on the internet for going fast, and even if you decide to build for Ely (I presume you mean the Silver State run or one like that) -- you can get much of the knowledge you'll want for there -- here.  Welcome to the forum on landracing.com.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2109 on: February 04, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
  Here is my two bits worth.
  Although you can build the safest car in the world, crap happens.
  In my opinion the safety versus reward is far different from LSRacing to "Silver State" type racing.
  At Bonneville we have trained professional safety crews stationed at track side, communication links to call in LifeFlight helicopters, and are within ninety minutes drive time of a major trauma center.
  In most cases incident response will be less than a minute.
  As for the "road race" atmosphere you have no immediate help (two racers perished in a inferno at the Silver State in 2011), poor onsite communication, and limited at best trained safety personel.
  I would under no circumstances allow a loved one or close friend to participate in such a debacle.
  If you want to risk your own neck, so be it, but don't put others at such peril.
  That being said, and keeping in mind that the SCTA has a safety program that is pretty inflexible... that is it is rigid, far reaching and progressive when it comes to in comparison, yes, even the NHRA.
  Keep in mind that with the SCTA you can run "what ever you brung" even if there is no established class as long as you meet all of our rigid safety and license criteria. This helps us be not only the the WORLD'S FASTEST BUT SAFETEST SPORT
  I welcome you to what is about to happen: leaving all other motorsports behind, and starting a lifetime addiction to Land Speed Racing, or as I call it, "where old race car drivers come to die"
  Until you have watched a 300 mph roadster or a deiseltruck go 280, your life will never again be complete.
  In the words of one of our elder statesman, J.D. Tone:  GOOD LUCK.......Bob
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:07:17 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Formula S

• New folks
« Reply #2110 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
Hi just lookin around, some pretty cool stuff here

Steve

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2111 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »
Racemethan,

Welcome to the forum

I live 15 minutes from Winston Salem, NC in Midway.

Drop me a note sometime, I would be glad to chat.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #2112 on: February 05, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Rick

Offline mctim64

• New folks
    • Y-Block Guy .com
« Reply #2113 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »
Hi!  my name is Tim and I like to drive fast.  Just wish I could go faster. :-D  I'm sure I've met some of you before either at El Mirage or Bonneville, I'm no one special but I always have a good time racing.

OK, that may be a lame intro but I've never really known how to do it.  So here I am!   :-)
"and water makes it's own sauce!"

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #2114 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »
Yep, Tim drives this old Construction truck with a bad muffler......I slammed the Drivers door on it at Speed Week last year--now it really doesn`t fit right..... :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: