Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 2267151 times)

Offline uschoppers

• New folks
    • uschoppers
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2010 on: December 24, 2011, 01:51:34 AM »
Right on Joe- thanks much.  Look forward to meeting up with you and getting more and more involved.  Trying to make it out with a bike or two in 2012 (BUB's).
Merry Christmas!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2011 on: December 24, 2011, 07:54:10 AM »
bring the knuckle head with the Rickman fairing ... it runs Vintage class ... you will have a ball

Offline Ragged_edge

• New folks
« Reply #2012 on: December 24, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
Hello all my name is Tony And I am interested In the salt we will be trying to go this year if every thing works out we will be running a yamaha raptor 700 atv with a one off turbo set up on it we should ba able to push 30 psi we need help in preparing for this Event as we are super green as far as salt goes

Like are atvs allowed the rider would obvisley be in full leather
What are the rest of the rules for this awesome event
any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Tony

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2013 on: December 25, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »
Tony:

Welcome, we are all green at some time in our Salt Racing careers. My rookie year was last year after 42 years or reasons and excuses. I can tell you its a lot of work, too much money and way to far away for me to participate but I dont think I will ever miss going to Speedweek again. It is the coolest thing you will ever do on two wheels or on four.

First order a rule book, decide or ask where your ride fits in the class. Then read all the posts you can, car and bike. I learned enough to survive, have fun and go 200 from this forum. The reason I say read is 99 % of your basic event questions have been asked by someone before. It is faster if you just skim the threads for things that interest you. you will find most of your answers.

Good luck with your build and see you on the salt.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2014 on: December 25, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
Tony, welcome to the forum. Regarding running a ATV at speedweek SCTA/BNI dose not have a class for them Your best bet is ask USFRA if they allow them. I think they are also allowed at the BUB meet. You will need to inquire with each of those assocs. You will need a rule book anyway and the new SCTA book is at the printers right now.Good luck on your build and keep us posted. BTW go back to the your profile page and add the city & state you are in etc.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2015 on: December 25, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »
Like Glen and Bill say -- get a rulebook.  But I prefer to suggest that folks new to this group should buy THREE rulebooks:  One for the coffee table in the living room, one for the shop/garage, and one for the tank on the back of the toilet.  I know, it sounds like I'm being goofy -- but you'll find that having those three locations covered will be a good thing.

As for adding your home city and state -- either you do it - or I will.  Take a look at some of the new folks and note where I've placed them.  That oughta get you motivated to enter your correct city/state :evil: :evil:

Best wishes and Nancy and I both hope you had a fine and dandy Merry Christmas.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2016 on: December 25, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
Slim- at my house we have renamed the bathroom the "library" ... because of the rule books ... good advice.

Offline TurboSCab

• New folks
    • Young Choppers and Hot Rods
« Reply #2017 on: December 26, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
Hello from Marietta, GA. My name is Hank Young. I own a Hot Rod and Chopper shop. I play with all things hot rod, but am building a 36HP VW belly tanker at the moment. I am new to the salt, so I'm sure I'll have all sorts of newbie questions.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #2018 on: December 26, 2011, 12:06:18 PM »
Welcome Aboard....................Your not far from my brother's place in Ackworth...........he plays with diesel trucks and a 1925 Allis Chalmers............we all have stories..............I play with a Triumph Cub and numerous other bikes.  Nice Avitar!
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Jon

« Reply #2019 on: December 26, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »
Hi, I'm Jon from Norther suburbs of Brisbane Australia.
I've been lurking & reading stuff here for a while now.
I'm collecting bits & pieces & starting to mock up a motorcycle streamliner based around a Honda CBR1000f motor.
Target date for some test runs is 2013 @ Lake Gairdner.

Thanks
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2020 on: December 26, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
Howdy to you, Jon, and thanks for spelling your name without an aitch.  I was thinking that I was the only one of "us" here with said moniker.

A 1000cc 'liner bike, hey?  That'll be fun, I'm sure.  Please feel free to keep us informed with a build diary here, and even more so when you've got it ready to go to the salt with you - whether for a good inspection during the build, or when you're ready to go ride it full out.

Back to my original subject:  Welcome to the Forum.  I didn't notice if you've put your hometown location in the profile (it'll appear in the left side with the avatar and so on), but if you haven't - please consider doing so to let us all remember you're from the land of Australia each time we see a post of yours.

Ta-ta for now - - -

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline filteredsoul

• New folks
    • Kustom GN400
« Reply #2021 on: December 29, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »
Hi everyone!
New guy here...
Originally from the Chicago 'burbs, but moved to the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina. I've always been a motorcycle guy and back in the late 90's, I ran a roadrace chassis/suspension shop called Profile Motorsports Services. I used to service the mid-west regional road-racers setting up suspension. I originally moved down here to work at Ohlins, but that's a WHOLE different story...
Anyway, I've been building a custom bike designed for myself to cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway on. It's not a speed demon or anything, just something I've had in my head for years. It's not anywhere near finished yet, but when it gets done, I'd like to take to to Bonneville to see how she goes. The engine is an old Suzuki GN400 (single cyl 400cc). I know there isn't a 400cc class for the SCTA, but I'm not going for any records with it. If I can go above the ton, it will be a success! This whole thing is on my bucket list, and lucky for me I have a wife who has been encouraging me to do it.
I've been in touch with one of the motorcycle tech guys from the SCTA and I have a rulebook on the way. I'm still a year or 2 away from being ready, but there is a LOT of planning (and saving) I have to do... So, what better place for me to learn.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2022 on: December 29, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »
Hello, Dan - and welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for filling in your location.

Now that that's done, and now that you're posting -- now we can get down to brass knuckles - or whatever that phrase is.  Your 400 cc bike would run in the 35-500 cc class -- so yes, you can run it out there in a class, not for "time only".  The top speed isn't important to be in the class - so you can go have a ball and get timing slips to your heart's desire.

Don't forget, though, that you will be required to have certain equipment (safety items, for instance) that meets the requirements for the top speed record in your class.  I haven't looked it up, but for instance, if the 500 cc class record is 175 - you'll need gear that meets the 175 requirements.  Good thing you've got a rulebook on the way - it'll answer lots of questions for you.  We'll do our best to answer the rest - and help you find some more queries.

And finally for this note -- too bad you didn't get active a year or more ago.  That's when we were still racing at Maxton, NC -- only four or five hours east of you.  Now you'll have to go northwest to Wilmington, Ohio.  It still won't be a "deal breaker", I hope.  Going to events is probably the best way to learn - learn equipment, learn techniques of building, and learning who the other racers are.  Plan on going to Bonneville, even as a spectator, as soon as you can.  Once you've done that -- you'll be hooked.

Best regards -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline filteredsoul

• New folks
    • Kustom GN400
« Reply #2023 on: December 29, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »
Thanks Slim,
Yep, I figured I'd be in the 500cc class. Maxton would've been cool. A Friend of mine is from Lumberton -which I believe is right next door...
Anyway, I know I have MUCH to do, and learn. So far everyone has been awesome. Seems like one big really fast family.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2024 on: December 29, 2011, 09:30:40 PM »
Filter, check out the BUB rules.  They require that the tires be rated for the speed the bike can go.  That can be a large savings for a person whose bike runs well below the record.