Author Topic: Frequently Asked Newbie Questions - asked and answered - but get a rulebook!  (Read 19295 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Index of Questions

1.  Rookie Orientation and Check List - read before you proceed.
2.  Engine Classifications

Chris,

Here is an idea - you research all the posts on this site and compile all the questions and catalog them for the FAQ U thread. Your car is small so there should not be much work to do.

DW

Alright, I've decided to accept the Mayor's challenge - not because my car is small, or that I have so much time on my hands, but because there seems to be a need.  

So this will be the "toe in the water" thread for those who are thinking about building a car for Bonneville, but want a bit more information.

I will not answer bike questions.

This will pertain to SCTA-BNI events ONLY.

But I'm not going to research the posts, as Dan suggested.  I'm going to use my power as a moderator to delete, edit, cut and paste in this thread, rearrange, and try to keep a current list of FAQs at the top of the link - with reader's input.  

This will NOT BE an authoritative thread, NOR SHOULD IT BE VIEWED AS SUCH.  ALWAYS CHECK THE RULE BOOK FIRST, AND CONTACT SCTA-BNI BEFORE YOU MOVE FORWARD.

And I reserve the right to say "I don't know, get a rulebook".

Do not expect immediate responses.  

If I make a mistake, post it here, and I'll fix it, and then delete the post.  Keep arguments to personal messages, rather than turning this into a free-for-all.

We'll keep it tidy.

NEWBIES!  I am still one of you.  Ask your questions here, but I will not seek answers to your questions until you've filled out your name and location in the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

If it's not a newbie question, you'll need to contact SCTA-BNI.  And I will determine what a newbie question is.

I suspect I'll be wishing I hadn't done this . . .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:16:45 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
Let's start with this . . . a link to the Rookie Orientation for Bonneville.

Before you ask any questions, I encourage you to read this front to back, but in particular, note page 16 - the Entry Inspection form . . .

http://nebula.wsimg.com/90652bedb053cbc41f0b3a80fadfaa0d?AccessKeyId=1B489604A3781742F233&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

The right side of the page is a laundry list of the things that the tech inspectors will be looking for with your car.  I bring this up because I see so many newbies jumping into discussions thinking they can bolt a mail order rollcage into their Camaro and go racing.

Fire suit, approved helmet, fire suppression system(s), speed rated tires, Lexan windows, flywheel shield - You must make yourself aware of the fact that you are committing to spend thousands of dollars on things that will not make the car go faster. I have seen countless LSR projects started with the best intentions, only to have the builder quit part way through, and we never hear from them again.

I'm creating this thread because I don't want to see that happen to you.

If you look closely at the list, and take notice of the photos of the cars in the Rookie Orientation Manual, it is clear to see that the day of the Street Car that can run at Bonneville is in our rear view mirror.  Note what's being asked and looked for.  It's to be taken seriously.

If you can accept the fact that you will be committing your time and treasure, and indeed, a whole vehicle for one purpose, and one purpose only, then you are ready to proceed.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
Re: Frequently Asked Newbie Questions - 2 - Engine Classifications
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Attached is a list of engine classifications used by SCTA-BNI.  We'll go into body classifications later, but this is a good starting point.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:41:40 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline Frankenhealey

• New folks
  • Born to race - forced to work
I think this is a brilliant idea and will be contributing by asking inane, bizarre and unintelligible newbie questions :-D
1954 Chevy Healey V8
1956 Bedford RHLZ Racecar Transporter
1971 SpridJET (hopefully coming soon to a Salt Flat near you)
Hare and Tortoise Racing - Scuderia Astuto Piano - Ecurie Albion Perfide - Rennabteilung Sturm und Drang

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
I think this is a brilliant idea and will be contributing by asking inane, bizarre and unintelligible newbie questions :-D

Dude, you're building a turbine powered Sprite - I expect they'll need to be cleared through homeland security before they make it here.  :-D

Just so everyone knows, I started on a spreadsheet of car classes - hope to have it up by the weekend, at which point I'll be deleting the conversational posts in order to maintain the Index I started on the introduction page.

I'll be referencing the rule book quite a bit in its alpha-numeric sequence, which will provide a logical approach to searching on this thread in a way that can be verified through the rule book.  A lot of this will be done on downloadable spread sheets - but a word of caution - I AM NOT DEVELOPING A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE RULE BOOK.  IT FALLS UPON YOU TO VERIFY THE RULES AND HOW THEY APPLY TO YOUR CAR.

As this develops, and germane questions come up, I'll be editing, cutting and pasting them into the appropriately numbered response.

As always - GARB!

(get a rule book)  :wink:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:39:44 PM by Milwaukee Midget »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Neil....You spotted that with no mention of a prop??? :roll:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Neil knew it was a Hello-copter!  lol8
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
I was just hovering around the forum when I spotted it.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Me, too! I crewed a Huey in a galaxy far, far, away a loooong, loooong time ago!   :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
HEY!!!!....Friday is the day after tomorrow! :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.