Author Topic: C-Clip Eliminators  (Read 10462 times)

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
  • Say hello to ma little 305....
C-Clip Eliminators
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »
Does a c-clip differential still require an elimination kit if it no longer has drum brakes?  The only reason some racing sanctions required this rule is with drum brakes, if the axle breaks, it can "walk" out of the housing.  This is not true if a vehicle has a 14" rotor that will retain the axle in place in the event of a break.  Looking for a clarification on this rule for the Super Street class in April.

Thanks

Brent

Offline bald1

• neald
Re: C-Clip Eliminators
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »

2008 Rulebook page 18:

2.E DRiVE HUBS:
         Any car equipped with a non-retained axle bearing (non-Hotchkiss type rear axle) assembly shall incorporate an approved hub to prevent loss of a 
         wheel in the event of rear axle failure.  Semi or full floating rear axle assemblies, as used in most late model production cars, are sufficient. Late
         model GM type rear ends using stock "C" clip axle retainers are NOT acceptable.
neald

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »
I've read that.....

"Any car equipped with a non-retained axle bearing (non-Hotchkiss type rear axle) assembly shall incorporate an approved hub to prevent loss of a wheel in the event of rear axle failure."

Disk brake conversion prevents the loss of a wheel.  I'm asking is this sufficient or will tech demand c-clip eliminators as well. The addition of a disk brake system changes the hub to prevent the loss of the axle end.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
I've read that.....

"Any car equipped with a non-retained axle bearing (non-Hotchkiss type rear axle) assembly shall incorporate an approved hub to prevent loss of a wheel in the event of rear axle failure."

Disk brake conversion prevents the loss of a wheel.  I'm asking is this sufficient or will tech demand c-clip eliminators as well. The addition of a disk brake system changes the hub to prevent the loss of the axle end.

Interesting take on the c-clip deal and one that sounds resonable to me, but I'm not teching  8-).  Let's hope they give that consideration.  I would call Joe Timney ( (302) 378 3013) if I was you. Let us know what he says,

Sum

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:14:36 PM »
I've read that.....

I tech some at Maxton and I would not personaly consider the brake caliper sufficient. The side load is to great and I believe the force would break the caliper bracket.  The caliper braket is not designed to withstand latera forces. I would contact Joe or keith here is the link to their info

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=13

mike
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »
I would agree with Mike. The caliper is not designed or tested to retain an axle under load. I wouldn't even ask the tech guys. Just fix it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »
There are other sanctions that do recognize the rear disk bracket system adequate to retain a sheered axle.  The after market caliper brackets are usually 1/2 T1 plate steel.  For an axle to make it past that and 21mm 9.8 bolts would be impressive.  The amount of force you’re describing would probably tear of the axle tube end before that thickness of bracket.  This isn't a 200+ MPH drifting event, so good to go.

I've seen in my 25 years of racing the rear disk brake system retain the axles well. In addition the use of eliminator would force me to change my locker system as well.

I've got the OK from Joe, so see you guys and gals there!  :-)

Brent

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
There are other sanctions that do recognize the rear disk bracket system adequate to retain a sheered axle.  The after market caliper brackets are usually 1/2 T1 plate steel.  For an axle to make it past that and 21mm 9.8 bolts would be impressive.  The amount of force you’re describing would probably tear of the axle tube end before that thickness of bracket.  This isn't a 200+ MPH drifting event, so good to go.

I've seen in my 25 years of racing the rear disk brake system retain the axles well. In addition the use of eliminator would force me to change my locker system as well.

I've got the OK from Joe, so see you guys and gals there!  :-)

Brent

If Joe says your good we wont argue!!!!

As far as the 200mph drifting event your not far off with that actually.

750hp + bad aero + untreated surface = somthing that resembles drifiting

See you in 25 days!!!!!!
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:07:14 PM »
LOL!!! I HEAR YA.... I'LL BE PULLING FOR THE CHUTE REAL FAST!

SEE  YA THERE.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »

One good crosswind at the wrong time/place... you tell us if you're drifting!  :-o

Deb  :-D
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
The side strength of a suitable brake caliper and mounting on a rear drive line that originally was retained with a "C" clip, exceeds that of the after market eliminator kits, and is easier, thus more likely to be verified. :wink:

PS: I was a gonna say sumtin bout youse guys calling Cone Head "Drifty", but I see she ain't gonna fall fo dat anymore. :-D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:53:26 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »

One good crosswind at the wrong time/place... you tell us if you're drifting!  :-o

Deb  :-D

Your cones are killing me!!!!! lmao

Glad you have suck a good sense of humor about your ordeal. Good for you. They say laughter is the cure all!!!!

mike
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:55:27 PM »
I agree the cones are hilarious - Everytime I see them all that comes to mind is hit me, hit me, no hit me.   :-D 

I used to have the urge to run them over every time I see them on the road.  Now it is worse.  LOL
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline t russell

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »
the trick to hitting cones is just touch them enough to send them flying not you or your ride :-D
right deb

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »
Back when I was young (long time ago) and dumber, having never been up close and personal with a cone, I decided to kick one while riding my motorcycle. that was the last time I tried that. I didnt fall down but it was close and boy did it hurt!! :evil:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing