Author Topic: Golf Balls  (Read 18511 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: Golf Balls
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »
So if dimples cause lift which would for all intensant purposes in effect reduce weight they could be placed at strategic areas to re distribute the said weight.Dimple the roof floor pan and sides add spoilers to get traction at speed ???

Nah Maybe not.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »
Just curious why some of the new Lexus's come with dimpled floors.  They say its to cut down on wind noise and to help with fuel mileage.  If the wind noise is caused by friction then it would seem to be good way to cut friction.  I have to think with Toyota's budget and their race teams to draw on that it was working. The tooling cots alone would make them think twice before doing this.  I am not a aero guy, so what do the aero people think?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:06:48 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
IMO Dimpling your step pan may cause you some heartaches because the word "flat" is in the definition. With a belly pan it would not make a difference. Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »
JD, I agree with you about the step pan.  Just trying to get the opinion of the aero guys when its been said on this thread it doesn't work and adds lift.  But a company like Toyota with all their resources and F1, NASCAR testing does something like this.  Makes us non aero guys wonder.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline willieworld

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »
maybe it was done to make a thin piece of crap metal seem much thicker and stronger   just a thought willie buchta        you guys need to go back and print out blues posts and read them until you understand --if you want to go faster he is telling you how to do it  (for free)  IF YOU JUST LISTEN   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:18:04 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Blue

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »
Just curious why some of the new Lexus's come with dimpled floors.  They say its to cut down on wind noise and to help with fuel mileage.  If the wind noise is caused by friction then it would seem to be good way to cut friction.  I have to think with Toyota's budget and their race teams to draw on that it was working. The tooling cots alone would make them think twice before doing this.  I am not a aero guy, so what do the aero people think?
This is to prevent the wind from resonating at a low frequency and turn the wind noise into an upper broad spectrum of "white noise".  White noise is easier to attenuate and insulate from, especially mixed higher frequencies.

"Lift" from dimples relies on spin and is not applicable to vehicle surfaces.

Dimples are a boundary layer energizer for VERY low Reynolds numbers.  At LSR Reynolds numbers, zig-zag tape and VG's are the turbulator of choice.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Hey Willie there aint no way I am seriosly going to start dimpling a years work now the final thros are all coming together, but I do think the ultra polished streamlined bodys of some racing streamliners and many other vehicles could do with a bit of playing with in wind tunnels not to say "dimples" but ripple finishes and many other textures! smooth and flat may not be where its at Jeeeze I am a poet and i didnt even know it.
TTFN
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff