Author Topic: Golf Balls  (Read 18426 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Golf Balls
« on: March 10, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »
A Golf Ball travels further than an equivelent ball of the same construction and size because of the dimples sticking the air to the surface of the ball,although difficult to reproduce the same kind of dimple over a large area would this work on fairings/streamlining/frame surface preperations as in rippled paint finishes?
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline sheribuchta

Re: Golf Balls
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:08:28 AM »
i think the dimples in a golf ball work because of the backward spin --you would get pretty dizzy if your car did that    willie buchta

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 07:35:55 AM »
We actually talked one time about building a body that had a golf ball surface all over it.  Our first thought was several ball peen hammers.  Then maybe a golf ball manufacturer could make us a cover for the body.  We finally gave up.  I still think that it would work.  Brian #7796

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »
Here's another one of those subjects that comes up every year or two on landracing.com.  Six or seven years ago Vetter had a bike at Bonneville with dimples all over the rear of the fairing -- might have been on the front, too, but I don't remember.  No, I don't have any data nor run speeds -- but I remember seeing the odd appearance and paying enough attention to bring it to mind when I read these posts.  Maybe someone else has more information.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
We actually talked one time about building a body that had a golf ball surface all over it.  Our first thought was several ball peen hammers.  Then maybe a golf ball manufacturer could make us a cover for the body.  We finally gave up.  I still think that it would work.  Brian #7796

That was my idea!!!

here from the DLRA message board when somebody offerd up a Ford sedan body with hail damage for sale I give you the Dr Goggles Dimple-o-matic car treatment.....

Quote from: some genius called Goggles
Lynchy wrote:
Here's a question for the Aero literati:
Will the hail damage act the same as the dimpling on a golf ball and promote the laminar adhesion of air over the body thereby allowing an increased speed?
Is this cheating or Act of God?
Lynchy

Dunno Lynchy but I'm gonna bring a little ball-pein hammer to the lake next year in case it catches on , I hereby offer my services to "aero-dimple" any car for a cold six pack :evil:.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
Surely Jack has built a golf-ball body and had it rolled down his famous hill.  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
Look at this stuff, somewhat the same principal and no you down want dimples on the front.........

Wings and Wheels ...............

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page29.htm

.................... Sealing Tapes and Control Seals along with Zig-Zag Turbulator and Dimple Turbulator Tapes (also called trip tapes -- "they create a rough place for the laminar flow to "trip over" into minor turbulence before separation occurs due to body shape. This reduces drag because this turbulence keeps the flowing air closer to the body than if it wasn't there, therefore reducing profile drag.", the Rev. H+.

Also here................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillelinks.htm

.................I have a lot of aero links under "Aerodynamic Info and LSR Calculator/Spread Sheet Sites",

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 12:25:23 PM »
Surely Jack has built a golf-ball body and had it rolled down his famous hill.  :mrgreen:

Mike
Ifnitain't ona glider plane, I don't want one.
My "World Speed Record" for a bowling ball down the face of Hoover Dam from 66 is still good, in part because of the newly added security. 8-)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
I seem to be testing the "dimple theory".  Every year new dents are appearing on my Stude's body, and I am also trying the "reverse dimple theory" where the rust is bulging the paint out.......... :-(
Bob Drury

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
Slim, it was "Corbin"
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
if you are constantly running 1 mph off of a record and exhausted all of the HP you have ... "THEN" start looking at this voodoo.... design and build your body "correctly" in the first place... all that crap works in theory and in wind tunnels but fails to deliver in the real world.... to add some dolaneese.... "a fool and his money are soon parted"
kent

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 01:06:35 PM »
so thats why Dolan showed up at the NW Reunion sans tux and shoes.............. :-D
Bob Drury

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »
i am running naked but have seen a nice rippled paint finish for the frame just thought i would run it by you guys if anyone has any tips on voodoo i am willing to learn that too amazing how much i have learned from this site already maybe thats one for another topic !
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
Bonneville doesn't have a putting green, it's a putting white and you need orange balls or you loose them and there would be balls everywhere. This subject has been discussed before under the  DIMPLE theory..
It's somewhere in the archives.  :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah