Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 47326 times)

Offline bharmon77

Re: Nose job
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2008, 12:30:10 PM »
Jonny,

Thank you for the info on Bazzaz, I checked thier website and think that they have a perfect tool for tuning applications. Did you buy the Z-AFM kit w/AFR sensor or the Z-Fi module using a different sensor? Or do you need both?
Do these come with software included or is that a seperate package?
It sounds like you can select an air/fuel ratio and the Bazzaz will control to your setting? So do you still need something like a Power Commander to change ignition timeing?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am new at this. Thanks for proving again how invaluable this web site is!

Bruce Harmon

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »
Posted on: Today at 11:30:10 AMPosted by: bharmon77 
Insert Quote
Jonny,

Thank you for the info on Bazzaz, I checked thier website and think that they have a perfect tool for tuning applications. Did you buy the Z-AFM kit w/AFR sensor or the Z-Fi module using a different sensor? Or do you need both?
Do these come with software included or is that a seperate package?
It sounds like you can select an air/fuel ratio and the Bazzaz will control to your setting? So do you still need something like a Power Commander to change ignition timeing?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am new at this. Thanks for proving again how invaluable this web site is!

Bruce Harmon

No apologies for asking questions BH.
I purchased Z-Fi and the Z-AFM.
The Fi is an advanced PC….the thing plugs into everything: each injector, TPS, Speed sensor, GPS and on and on (was an easy install but there were a bunch of plugs).
The AFM has the wideband O2 and a few more plugs, it piggybacks the Fi unit and if you want to self map…you will need both units.
It comes with the software, and recommends that for best performance you tweek the auto maps with a dyno tune. I have a friend who runs this same setup and found consistently that the self map is so close to perfect that it is not worth the time and effort to tweek the map to gain 1 HP (maybe if I were a professional road racer it would justify).
I found them cheapest at Schnitzracing.com …..the logo glows when on….neat stuff!

They also have a unit that will work on an 08 (the 08 now requires 2X PC3s) and has a piggyback box for its traction control system (I know nothing about it).

I only wonder what the 08 busa with traction control would do on the salt….can bet there will be at least one this year!

Here the almost finished air intake
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:32:28 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »

The back is about 3" lower than will be in pic. I can adjust the height....this is too low, I shouldnt of been messin with things.
The front is also lower because the tires only have about 20 psi.

I have been hitting this thing really hard. I need a break......
I long for the day that can build a car and dont feel an overwhelming sense of chaos and rush to get things done. Thank god SW is only a few weeks away.

BTW:

The grey paint is a high build polyester spray.....this stuff is great for hiding any surface imperfections. I highly recommend it.

-JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2008, 10:45:49 PM »
Looking rather slippery Jonny.

Pete

Offline Geo

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »
JH,

Looks great!  I have been following the change you made this past year.  It's quite an accomplishment and I had a few days lately of wondering if it would be done.

I can't wait to hear how it goes.  Straight --->      :-)

Geo

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »
I had a few days lately of wondering if it would be done.

I told my pop that I would end up working on the car in the trailer as he towed it to the salt!

Fact is....the car isnt done and wont be done. Sure it will go to the salt and run but if I had a few more months I could really iron out some of the details in fit and finish. 

I took short cuts on finish work....If you look close you will find all sorts of things that could be done better (jitterbugs in the paint, things don’t fit 100%, little dents…ect).

You can bet that without the pressure of a major rebuild next year, the car will be much closer to the way I want it.

I am already thinking of the turbo motor for next year….and the 900+ HP Ecotec 2.0 that will likely end up in the car in a few years.

*Andres Segovia

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »
JNuts, welcome to the club of race cars not show cars.  I suspect everyone on the salt has an area or 2 that they wish they had time to make better.  Your car has come a long way, and you won't hear anyone say anything about a little finish problem when it is sitting in impound...  :wink:
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Today one of my goals was to bleed the breaks.

Last year we had front and rear brakes….this year only the rears.

For whatever reason I forgot to block off the front break lines at the proportional valve…and the front break lines just were cut off inside the body work when the old nose was removed and the new nose sections were built around them. Needless to say after about 1 quart of break fluid going into the system I started asking myself “d@#n this thing needs a lot of fluid”. They were new break calipers and lines but it was getting crazy.

After seeing some break fluid running out from under the cars belly pan I realized my mistake and removed the lines and plugged the holes under the dash. Found it much easier to bleed the breaks now that there was not a massive hemorrhage.

No moral to this story…..sometimes S@#t happens.

-JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:30 AM »
JH:

You meant to say "Sometimes sweetiepie happens", didn't you?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
Here is my solution for towing the car with limited steering radius and to be able to quickly retrieve the car at the end of a run.

I started with a massive .75 machine eye bolt. I took the pic next to a standard 16oz hammer for reference. Before I grafted the nose on the car I welded a 2"X.25 square bar with a .75" cap on the end that butts up to the backside of the nose section.

It was drilled and tapped to accept the eye bolt.

I used a strap style come-along and some 2" square to make a receiver lift.

Its a snap to screw in the eye bolt and jack the front up. One cool thing is that the truck does not have to back perfectly up to the car, it can be a few feet away and off to one side, the strap will pull the nose straight.

The bottom plate is to prevent the car from moving forward when stopping. I will cap the holes and put a road alligator on the plate (providing I can find one!) to keep any shock from transferring when it makes contact with the plate. The strap on the end of the main bar keeps the hook from drifting.

The car just needs a little green paint and will be good to go.
-JH

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:47:34 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »
Great idea JH, mind if I maybe copy it??

Now I just have to remember about it  8-).

c ya in a week,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2008, 07:41:36 PM »
Insert Quote
Great idea JH, mind if I maybe copy it??

Now I just have to remember about it  .

c ya in a week,

If by pure accident I come up with something useful to someone else I would be honored if they used my idea or a variation on a theme..... no need to ask.

BTW:

If you get some time you should meet us for dinner one night.....seem we dont get to talk much on the salt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally green!!!!
Talk about pushing things right to the deadline!

This is my first time using a new HPLV gun I picked up the other day. I have an arse kicking conventional setup that I know very well (came from my days painting guitars for Peavey). I know that gun inside and out and should have used it.

The first cup of paint with the new gun was horrible…..the gun would blow every time you pressed the trigger and drip paint causing a few runs and inconstant patterns.

During the flash time (15 mins) I looked over the trouble shooting manual and found there was a seat adjustment that should be performed before pressurizing the gun and was for whatever reason not done in the factory. 

After I got that adjusted I realized that my poopy new HPLV gun was far superior to the Bink - DeVilbiss pressure feed system I have used all these years. A monkey could shoot paint with the new gun correctly set up…..consistent pattern….smooth & even flow (like shooting powder). It seems obvious that you should shoot on a test piece…but me thinking I know what I am doing and being in a hurry ended up biting me this time. Thankfully I was able to blend the bad spots so its not too noticeable.

I did not want to spend a great deal of time on perfecting the nose as it sits…..There is a very good chance there will be some minor design refinements next year (running is my only form R&D).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:01:09 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »
Hey John, I don't want to pop your bubble on the lift tow design but Don Nuss has had it for 10 years as do a couple of others, It's really a neat system and no one has to ride back in the car. keep up the ideas though. see you in a few days.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »
We were planning on doing something similar this year, but we are still behind.  Maybe we will have ours done by Oct. or Nov. El Mirage.  Looks good JH we will see you soon, hopefully. :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2008, 08:45:52 PM »

A pic of my pop next to the car, I just got finished putting a push plate on the truck. I put a stainless plate on the front of it....just for that little something.

bvillercr, hope to see you also. I was wanting to look over your car first hand.

-JH

*Andres Segovia