Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 47330 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Nose job
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
This crazy old man (75, but a true genius) lives up the street from my pop and for what ever reason has taken a liking to me and allows me to use his machine shop when ever I want. In this unassuming metal building in a residential area is full of high end huge CNC mills, lathes, shapers, welders and other crap that I could only dream of owning. This is where I milled the axle for the king pin bosses. Because of the precision of the degree angle of the mouth and they needed to be equal on both sides justified doing it over there.

Thank god for crazy old men.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Ya know I thought they were all crazy just that some were crazy/interesting and the others were just plain crazy....anyway, we've had our fair share of help from interesting senior gents and we'd be stuffed without 'em. Recently I've had a few visits from a guy here ( hi Geoff) who is going to build a lakester...the first vehicle he remembers sitting in was his fathers V-twin belly-tank based monocoque hill climb machine.....his dad Ken built and raced speedway, midgets and other ,er , crazy stuff and still has various projects going though he's pushing 80 years young......I showed him an article about a vintage midget meet in Brisbane that had racers from the states as well as the locals reliving the glory days and all sorts of great stuff hoping to impress him......he built one of the cars and had owned or raced others that were pictured.......

Our shortened gearbox wouldn't have happened without the stammering former railway engineer who did some big tig work on his home made welder , home made and registered electric car outside , jazz drum kit and piano in the corner.....his wife didn't like us because it apparently took him several days to "calm down" after each time we'd visit......... I could've talked to him for weeks on end....and his workshop?.....brother!!!

I used to work for an old engineer who had a "vision" in his fifties ....it was explained at his funeral that he would tell people he only really became happy the day he decided to stop cleaning up , he was ...really happy when I worked for him ...ordered chaos was a polite description......

Good to see your front end coming along Nuts , also good to see your "can do" attitude. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Geo

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »
Jonny,

That is some beautiful workmanship.  It's great to follow along on your modification.  I am looking forward to seeing it this year.

I have thought of your front axle adjustment device.  I wondered why you would want to make adjustments.  Once the point is found then set it and make the axle nonadjustable.  However, I have some ideas on how to give you both with a very solid mounting.  I will draw up some ideas and you can decide what to use.

Geo

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 10:29:09 PM »
You're doin good Johnny.
Keep it up.

Rick
Rick

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 11:21:33 PM »
Make no mistake there is hidden expenses to landracing. My house it not exactly what one would call “complete” after buying a condemned property. My wife has been very understanding and continues to be a good sport about things but make no mistake that the fact that I took 6 months to build the car without doing anything on the house means that I had to make up for it after Speedweek last year. This included R&R a deck, install new kitchen cabinets, remod the bathroom, install a new roof, and paint the house and much more. This weekend I had to install a new fridge (including piping the ice maker and BS) and cabinets around it, I have not finished the trim work but can do that after work sometime this week. So I am including a pic of my new fridge because that IS what was doing with the exception of adding some axle gussets (very much recommend doing this, I have not seen it done before but it seems give a lot more weldable surface from the king pin boss to the axle.   

Why I did not do much this weekend:

Here is the gussest on the end of the axle:

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 05:25:50 AM »
Both jobs looking great Jonny. Keep up the good work.

The PR work is important. That's what allows us to stay happy while we do what we really want, LSR.

Pete

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 11:35:31 AM »
Nice kitchen and nice fab work on the car. I understand the "honeydo's", just when I just about have all my parts together and am ready to start putting the bike together ,My wife decides we need a major overhaul in the living room/dining room area. And this is after putting in 50+hours a week at work. Oh well gotta keep her happy.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Parts check signer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
What racing is all about---keeping the check signer happy-- :wink:-- to keep paying the PARTS bill!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
You got that right. I work on the house and she buys me lots of parts, sounds fair to me. :lol:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 09:26:46 PM »
Here are a few pics of the mock-up steering setup. I Decided to use a sprocket-chain setup to avoid a long shaft and allow more room for items that need to be mounted in the front.
Originally I made the steering reduction linkages but relized that I could gear down my steering by using diffrent size sprockets between the two steering shafts......too late now!

*Andres Segovia

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
Johnie
Do you have or planning on steering stops?  Does the chain have a idler between sprockets? Just wondering. :-D, looking pretty good so far.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »
Make no mistake there is hidden expenses to landracing.
Why I did not do much this weekend:

The best part about buying a new fridge is that you get to use the old one out in the garage.  That's a "win-win" in my book!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »
Hotnuts, you are doing an awesome job on your project and it should be the subject of a textbook on first time racer builds, but those 13 inch outside diameter tires with five inch rims- as I read the rules - won't be acceptatable on the salt for your class.

SCTA/BNI folk, PLEASE tell me I'm wrong.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »
those 13 inch outside diameter tires with five inch rims- as I read the rules - won't be acceptatable on the salt for your class.

They are ok.

This last weekend I got a new air compressor hooked up. I have had the big IR compressor for about 6 months but needed to run a separate breaker and 230 line. I was given about 6 new IR air tools (right angle, die, cut off, impact, ect....) and this was motivation to get the compressor running. Needless to say it was a full day job running a line from the box to the garage, plumbing and regulating the compressor.

I noticed that there is an ugly transition between the busa TBs and head boot.
With a spare set of TBs I decided to do some experimenting and eliminate the transition.
Now that I can use my die grinder I did some port matching.

Here is a pic of what I did today, I still need to smooth out the bumps but here is the basic idea

BTW: If anyone has a dyno and is willing to do a back to back runs with stock and these TBs to show any gain or loss if the TBs make more HP you can keep the port matched TBs and send me a set of good condition stockers.

Stock:

One side

rough port match

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

*Andres Segovia