Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 47467 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Nose job
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »
Congrats on  a "succesful" trip to Espana!!!!!!!! will you come visit the Southern Arizona border?  We would love for you to stay with us if you wanted to overnight in Phoienix!!!!!!!!!!  lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline comp

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »
 Cool build

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »
I made a dolly to get the car in and out...was a real problem before.

This made getting in and out a 25 second deal.....I should of made one much sooner.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline comp

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
 in that pic the nose looks low

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »
I made a dolly to get the car in and out...was a real problem before.

This made getting in and out a 25 second deal.....I should of made one much sooner.

Neat idea,

Sum

Offline Geo

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
JH,

Now that's pretty slick! :lol:

I think you have been hanging out at airports looking at 747 landing gear. :-D

Geo

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »
Last year my pop broke the shift switch when throwing the steering wheel down during escape practice.

He also got confused what switch shifted up and down.

This year I made a cover with arrows that make it real clear and should protect the switches from abuse.

Here is a pic of the pull pin for the door net.
I found a company that supplies these double acting positive lock pins to aerospace manufactures.
The attached cable also attaches to the same type pin on the left side lateral head restraint bar. The cable is pulled manually with a lever and is attached to an air ram cylinder along side the seat. As we already have an onboard compressor for the air shifter it was an easy branch to send a line to the air solenoid that operates the cylinder.

I have also installed Bazzaz self mapping fuel injection controllers and got rid of the PCIII.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

Is the horizontal pin like a safety pin and is it pulled before the run??

Also I'm confused is this pulled by the air cylinder or by hand or either??  If just the air what would happen if in a wreck an air line got knocked off and you lost the air??

Keep the pictures coming you are giving me some ideas,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »

The pins are positive lock....meaning they will not come out unless they pulled (or pushed). The cable that pulls them is routed in such a way that you can reach down near your left hip and pull upward on a lever to release the pins. You can also release the pins manually without the cable by reaching behind your head and pulling them directly, this is what we did last year for the window net and this sucked.

There are some very good argument about not having an automatic net release system and the potential problems that could happen (accidental release or non release for instance). I weighed these options and decided that there is an advantage to this concept by a method of triggering the ram to release by shutting off the main switch or the main battery disconnect at the back of the car. This means that if there was an incident the emergency personal shutting off the battery disconnect will also release the door net and lateral head restraint. Due to the fact that my system of removable lateral head bar and use of pins for retention is different and not everyone could instantly recognize how they work, I felt that a system of automatic release system this simple was better than the potential for accidental release. (I am putting instruction on the outside of the car how to release the pins manually). 

*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »

The pins are positive lock....meaning they will not come out unless they pulled (or pushed). The cable that pulls them is routed in such a way that you can reach down near your left hip and pull upward on a lever to release the pins. You can also release the pins manually without the cable by reaching behind your head and pulling them directly, this is what we did last year for the window net and this sucked.

There are some very good argument about not having an automatic net release system and the potential problems that could happen (accidental release or non release for instance). I weighed these options and decided that there is an advantage to this concept by a method of triggering the ram to release by shutting off the main switch or the main battery disconnect at the back of the car. This means that if there was an incident the emergency personal shutting off the battery disconnect will also release the door net and lateral head restraint. Due to the fact that my system of removable lateral head bar and use of pins for retention is different and not everyone could instantly recognize how they work, I felt that a system of automatic release system this simple was better than the potential for accidental release. (I am putting instruction on the outside of the car how to release the pins manually). 

Thanks, but I'm still confused about that pin.  It looks like there are two pull loops.  Is that right and do they both have to be pulled?

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2008, 11:33:02 PM »
The typical use for this type pin is to have a tether line of some sort attached to the release hoop (center) that allows a person to pull the line and remove the pin where access is too high (aircraft landing locks for instance) and there is a need to release the pin in a hurry.

The other loop (side) is to connect a line to keep the pin from falling completely out when the tether is pulled, and to retain it in a relatively close proximity to the pins use location. I got a few of these type pins and the 1/2X3" would split your head if you snatched its release line and it fell out on your head.

http://www.avibank.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.prods&Product_ID=18
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:44:52 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2008, 11:57:44 PM »
............The other loop (side) is to connect a line to keep the pin from falling completely out when the tether is pulled, and to retain it in a relatively close proximity to the pins use location.................

Ok, I finally got it.

Thanks,

Sum

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »
  JH what are you using for data logging?                                   
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »
FV,

I am using the new Bazzaz Systems Z-FI with the Z-AFM

I have been pissed for years that to get a real map for the PC3 you had to go to an "authorized" Dynojet facility and only "authorized" Dynojet trained personal could do the maps (I even remember a disclaimer that they would sue anyone disclosing how to make maps).

The Bazzaz System records your runs and self maps. For me this is perfect due to the fact that a PC3 map is useless as soon as you change anything on the motor. This system will allow me change anything on the motor and I can have the system re-map, view the suggested changes and apply the changes to the new map.

So far I am 100% impressed with the Bazzaz system. Good to not be tied to Dynojet anymore....

BTW: I am selling a perfectly good Dynojet PC3 usb if anyone is interested.

I am ordering a second Bazzaz harness and installing it on my personal bike when the car is not on the salt.

http://www.bazzazperformance.com

This is all I am using for data logging

*Andres Segovia

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
Note to Dynojet:  Don't hire Jonny Hotnuts to write ad copy for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com