Author Topic: Nose job  (Read 47328 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Nose job
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »
Always a great feeling when the motor is in and running.  How much do you have to do to be finished?  Are you going to speedweek or WOS?  Sounds good for a motorcycle. :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »
Always a great feeling when the motor is in and running.  How much do you have to do to be finished?  Are you going to speedweek or WOS?  Sounds good for a motorcycle. 
Posted on: Today at 05:40:58 PMPosted by: Jonny Hotnuts 

Speedweek for sure!

My mum and pop have never been anywhere and my wife and I are taking them to Spain and Italy on June 12th. I told my pop that I would not get on the plane unless the motor ran. This is going to kill a few weekends for me but now that the motor runs it mentally is a huge weight off my shoulders. After all, if it was in gear the car would now move under its own power....everything else is just making it go better!

I make a list of items that are prioritized based on what the car needs to have done to run. Worst case I would just need to get some sort of cooling system done. It is true the car needs to have some body work done, paint, alignment, rear torsion bars, suspension stops, ram air intake, new rear break calipers, wiring, and on and on......but this is all stuff that wont keep me from going.

I made the joke with my pop that I will be working in the trailer on the way to the salt with him driving. Same joke as last year (still not funny, only had a week to spair last year!).

Truth is.....it will be ready by August 1st.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »
Just looked at your pictures and I sure like your steering set up it is simple, compact, low cost and gives any reduction that you want to build into it, nice job! Did you lay up the finished nose over the plug or did you make a mold?

Bruce Harmon
7077 H/BFL (under construction)

I will never complain about my cramped two car garage work space again!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »

Finished lever assembly ready for mounting.
My choice to use a wrench for a handle was purely a stylistic decision, not because I did not have the means or ability to use a more standard lever.
It was in truth more difficult to use the wrench then a piece of bar stock (hiding the welds to the pivot bolt and whatnot) and can guarantee that it is by far stronger than any over the counter cable pull lever out there (even though if you need strength in a shoot lever you have major problems).

Tomorrow I will try and get it fired up for the first time with the new motor.

crikey Nuts who do you think you are ...Us?...that's fantastic!....... shame you didn't use a Titan.......then as the Colonel would say "what are you gonna use when you need to "loosen" it? Sadly we've had to ditch the seat we made out of two inner mudguards because we're both , er, gettin' fat and we were worried that soon we'd be larded out and need to look for another driver, we've gone for a home-made Al slip seat which sadly  looks like a bought one...

Top work....how was Spain?, I'm there at the end of July.

Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 10:06:42 AM »
se va abroard médico ?
Diminuta 8-)
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
Top work....how was Spain?, I'm there at the end of July.

Dr G

Spent a week in Spain, 5 days in Rome.
If I could do it all over again I would spend the entire time in Spain.
Rome is like going to the dentist....something you should do, something you need to do, you are better off going but there is a good deal of pain you have to deal with. (too many people, very expensive the "attractions" treat people like cattle).

This is my second trip to Spain and love the place. The food, people and history are first rate not to mention that even with the poop-dollar to euro rate Spain is still very reasonable. Next year I could go anywhere I want, I will go back to Spain.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 While walking with my parents and wife through a tourist packed market-street in Barcelona @ about 40 yards I noticed a guy walking the other direction that seemed out of place. He was walking alone with a brown leather coat over his shoulder, covering half his upper body. This would not seem like a big deal but considering that it was 86 degrees in the shade I knew this cat was up to no good. I told my pop that I spotted a pick pocket. As we got closer I seen the guys hand poke out from under his coat and attempt to unzip a small camera bag (or fanny pack) on an old man whom he was walking closely behind.
This happened at the exact time that we were passing, and was able to get a good look at what was going on.

Needless to say the saying "body follows the head" proved true in this case. With a quick leg to the inside behind him and a hand on the neck Mr. brown coat was on his back while I was shouting "PICK POCKET and THEFE" angrily in his face. The years of practice on a guitar has given me some unusual left hand strength. It was fortunate for him that there was some motorcycle police about a half block away that quickly collected Mr. Brown Coat whom they strangely already happened to know on a first name basis. Because, if the police (or someone else) did not stop me, I would have choked him out to make a point (he was not far, eyes were starting to roll back).

After thinking about what I did I realized it was not a good idea. This guy could of easily had a knife or other weapon or been working in a group......I was clearly not prepared to deal with that, and my pop (65) would of not been much help if there had been multiples.

Just wanted to tell my little story.....lucky Im not in a Spain jail!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW:
If you have a choice in airlines and Delta is one of your choices.....choose the other one.
I don’t want to get into what the problems were.....far too much to tell.
Take my advice, dont fly Delta. 

-JH

Me, Jonny Hotnuts

Wife, Lori Hotnuts

Funny picture of old man explaining why he turned in front of a truck!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:33:01 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

bak189

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »
Hotnuts, welcome home..........glad your not in some jail over there........Hey, what is this about
Dad not able to be any help at age 65................
don't you dare pick on us old folks..........at 71
I can still take on "multiples"..... just try me..........
Next year take the family to the Netherlands
at tulip (Spring)  time.....you will love it...............

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Titan?
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »
I was just making the point that whoever designed this couldn't spell

G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »

Here is a pic of the revamped fuel system. I wish I had a before shot, it was a real mess. The gauge next to the tank is fuel pressure.

Here is the regulator and soilnoids for the air shifter. Its hard to see in the pic but the soilnoids are mounted on an odd shaped raised platform. No reason for the odd platform shape or non square soilnoid mounting....just something diffrent.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:42:10 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »

The handy man jack was the only way we could get it out of the trailer. I am going to build a large "X" with 4 pneumatic wheels to go under the front. It should allow us to remove the car without having to do this. It was not exactly "safe" but it all ended ok.

The hood is just sitting there, needs to have a few duzs. The off set eyebolt is connected to the structure and a lifting hitch on the truck will allow us to pick the front wheels off the ground for towing

Need to glass the intake....wife likes the pink…..will look better green.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:25:37 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
Cool picture, I hope it handles right on the salt.

J

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
Now thats a nose.   Brian #7796

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »
Jonny:

I'm scared to think what you might be able to do with a slightly less restrictive "shop".

Pete

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »

J

Last year we had plenty of motor but the car was all over the place. The nose was just one of many things that I changed that were potential problems relating to handling.

I told my pop that I did not care how fast we went....as long as it was straight!!!

BTW JN....
I will be coming around to say hello at SW.

Jonny:

I'm scared to think what you might be able to do with a slightly less restrictive "shop".

Pete

Truth is that I have a 30X18 at my pops; unfortunately it is a 40 minuet drive each way. After I get home from work the last thing I want to do is drive that far. Before the car was stretched it was only a nuisance....now it is a real pain in the arse.

I have a 10X25 attached to my house but this is a no-go unless I relocate the washer and dryer to the basement. My poor wife puts up with enough of my nonsense to have to deal with a car in her "laundry room"!

*Andres Segovia

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2008, 12:24:03 AM »

J

Last year we had plenty of motor but the car was all over the place. The nose was just one of many things that I changed that were potential problems relating to handling.

I told my pop that I did not care how fast we went....as long as it was straight!!!

BTW JN....
I will be coming around to say hello at SW.

Jonny:

Pete

Truth is that I have a 30X18 at my pops; unfortunately it is a 40 minuet drive each way. After I get home from work the last thing I want to do is drive that far. Before the car was stretched it was only a nuisance....now it is a real pain in the arse.

I have a 10X25 attached to my house but this is a no-go unless I relocate the washer and dryer to the basement. My poor wife puts up with enough of my nonsense to have to deal with a car in her "laundry room"!

See you at SW, I will be riding and driving.. :mrgreen: