Author Topic: El Cheapo lift  (Read 5499 times)

Offline sheribuchta

El Cheapo lift
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:35:50 PM »
Requires scrap tubing, old motorcycle handgrip, a little welding and you're good to go. Put a little bend in the handle so that you don't smash your finger. And there you have it...The El Cheapo motorcycle lift.
Willie Buchta

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: El Cheapo lift
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »
Excellent quick lift for anything that requires turning the tire over or having the bike straight up and down(and by making it short you can throw a 2x6 or two under for taller bikes). I've got a handfull of these around the shop and in the race trailer. Most I bought, a couple I made(fixed, adjustable, collapsible, etc.). One thing all but one of mine have in common that I like is a removable arm. If you cut it off about 5 or 6" from the upright(in your case just past the gusset you used), you can pin a plug in it for quick removal and storage. This way once the bike is up the arm can be removed before it gets smacked, kicked or in your way.
Todd

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
What may not be obvious is that it has to be less than 90 degrees. When the handle hits the floor the bike has to be well over center.

The drawing looks like a 90 degree bend. It better be way less unless you want to keep picking the bike up off the floor. And bruises on your head where the handle pops you!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
Ours are a little different in they are made with 1 length of suitably sized backbone tubing that is bent to the proper dimension at the ends for the primary leg.
The steady rest is usually a scrap of 1 inch that is bent and welded to the main stanchion to form the desired angle.
The handle is welded to a captive sleeve over one main leg, and that is allowed it to fold out of the way in use, and stay with the lift when stored.
If used alone, the vehicle will want to travel a bit as the bar rocks back or it will slide and mar the frame.
If you are using one at each end of one of the dragsters for example, something has to give and it is usually the paint.
The solution for us is to sleeve the backbone with some cheap deal PVC-40 sprinkler pipe that will roll.
Mine is polished aluminum for the Jr Dragsters, but I wouldn't pay me to do it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Super Kaz

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:56:53 PM »
Requires scrap tubing, old motorcycle handgrip, a little welding and you're good to go. Put a little bend in the handle so that you don't smash your finger. And there you have it...The El Cheapo motorcycle lift.
Willie Buchta
Wille,
R U gonna make and sell them? 8-) I got to use a setup just about the same at the AHDRA Race in Phoenix a couple of season's ago.
Allot of The Fuel Bikes had them too :evil:?
It worked Really Awesome !
I just never got the Spare 1 they Promised TO SEND Me :-(!
It had the Top bar covered with Very Hard plastic,but Not pvc? :?
So as not to scratch the frame,and too help it slide smoothly under the frame when the handle is raised or lowered.
My PIT BULL stands are SOB to use by my 140lb weak self :oops:
So a Big Lever would be much easier on my Old Back .
Great idea ,and I really enjoy seeing your Work WB!
Thanks,
Kaz............

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:22:40 PM »
send me some measurements and ill do one for you on the build diaries  --ill do the delux model    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »
send me some measurements and ill do one for you on the build diaries  --ill do the delux model    willie buchta

Willie,

Charge him for materials....azz, grass or gas no one rides for free... :wink:

Super Kaz

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »

Willie,

Charge him for materials....azz, grass or gas no one rides for free... :wink:

Your Such a Good Friend Worlds Fastest :roll:! I'll PM you tomorrow WB with the measurements? 8-)
Thank you,
Kaz.............

P.S
 I may not be Rich anymore,but I will take care of You 1 way or another :evil:!
I can Fix anyone ,but myself :-(! So I'm bring my Table or my Chair with me next meet, and will Give You and Sheri a little Head, Neck ,and Back Tune up FOR YOUR TIME?I've Been Fixing injured Racer's for 20+Years,but after my Last marriage I Don't have much of the azz,grass or gas "ANYMORE"
Sorry J/N !:cry: