Author Topic: speed-o-light  (Read 10951 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: speed-o-light
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 02:33:10 AM »
ive had time to research the records at bonneville and the records and minimums at el mirage and decided to run in the 1000cc sc-pg and sc-pf ---the 1350cc sc-pg and sc-pf---the 2000cc sc-pg and sc-pf  classes --i have the motors and transmissions  2 xb9 buell motors and a 90 inch evo motor and trans from one of my old street bikes --i thought about the 500cc pushrod class but my wife sherri is trying to set that record --i also thought about the 3000cc class but i would have to buy two 1200 cc  buell motors that would be 2400cc 600cc short of the maximum--big bore kits would get closer to 3000cc but i dont want to spend all of that money so the 3000cc class is out --also ive decided to run in the sidecar class and not the streamlined sidecar class after priceing all of the extra safety stuff about 4000 dollars of stuff that i wont need in the sidecar class --im not sure of the design yet although i like the naked bike a little streamelining would sure help the top speed and i sure like the looks of scott stites bike im not sure how much differance the streamelining makes in speed i know my bike now has a cd of .8  and just guessing but with aero like scott has maybe a cd of .5 to .6 --well anyway that is pretty much the plan i have 3 bikes to build for customers one before speedweek so ill be pretty busy but like i said if anyone has any good ideas jump right in ---the 2 buell motors have very light flywheels but very short strokes (3.125 )so they should be easier to chain together than long stroke harleys --anyway just some thoughts   willie buchta
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:35:30 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 09:35:22 AM »
Was "The THING" on the salt in '69?  I mess around for a Dual eng drag bike in '69 my first trip to the Salt.  Willie have you considered a Balance shaft In the coupling chain between the 2 engs.. Willie you do know have to have fun!!!!!!!!!! way to go you 2---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »
Was "The THING" on the salt in '69?  I mess around for a Dual eng drag bike in '69 my first trip to the Salt.  Willie have you considered a Balance shaft In the coupling chain between the 2 engs.. Willie you do know have to have fun!!!!!!!!!! way to go you 2---

Sparky are you talking about going with something like Mike has used on Ack Attack..............

( http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/ack-attack/construction%20page%203.html  )

Willie I would take a look at this approach as it is fairly simple in concept and can even be used to drive the rear wheel with a chain on both sides of the wheel, maybe not necessary with your HP output, but worth looking at.

I think you and Sheri need a Utah vacation.  I'll take you sightseeing for a couple days and then with your help the lakester would probably be done in a few more days  8-).

c ya,

Sum

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 01:50:45 AM »
sum  are you going to have her running by speedweek  willie buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
sum  are you going to have her running by speedweek  willie buchta

No  :cry:,  and I was hoping for maybe WOS or WF, but that looks pretty doubtful every time I think about all that still has to be done.  I am working on it every day now.

I'll be at SW with Hooley and the Stude and was thinking about bringing the lakester and having it teched, but with the price of gas and since I would then need to bring two vehicles that probably won't happen.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys,

Sum

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
is there anything i can do to help    willie buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
is there anything i can do to help    willie buchta

Yea, take the next three weeks off and come to Blanding  :-D

Thanks, but not anything I can think of.  It is really hard for me to put someone to work on the car if they are here as I usually don't design the next part until I get to it and then it is in my head mostly.  Phil was a big help as he is a good welder and came up with some solutions for me when he was here.

I guess it will get done when it is done and since I enjoy the design/build stage the best maybe it is good this way.  Also I won't embarrass myself when it can't pull away from the push truck this way  :-o.

c ya and you get back to work also.  I just came in for a little ice after resting my hand on a place I had just welded  :roll:,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 12:30:47 PM »
As far as constructive tips go Sum, you just gave one of the best and it should be emphasized more. If you burn yourself get ice on the burn as quickly as possible. It gets rid of the pain and blistering before it ever starts at the expense of a little cold for a few minutes to offset the heat you've already input. Here in Calgary where we get our water straight from the Rockies we can just leave the burn under the tap until you can't stand it any more.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Sum, Something like that ----I would think it would have fly wheels on it that you could bolt or weld counter weights to to smooth out the Harley Pulses----just  know a lot of 4 have counter balance shafts---- 

OR maybe a huge centerflywheel with each eng driving it own clutch  that is mounted to the centerflywheel on its on jackshaft to the drive driven wheel???? just flapping my fingers instead of my JAWS---lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
the problem is not balance when you chain 2 harley motors together its a matter of keeping the top run of the chain tight --if the chain goes tight slack tight slack it stretches the chain and the problem becomes worse until the chain fails-or worse yet the engine cases fail--ive talked to everyone i can think of and most everyone says let the front engine lead and keep the chain tight--everyone has a different openion about how much lead and i think that is because each one was dealing with a different stroke --my engines have very light flywheels ( lighter than any harley that i know of ) and a very short stroke 3.125 (the shortest of any harley v twin)  im hopeing the short stroke and the high rpm of the motor will be in my favor being that the engine pulses will be closer together in time because of the higher rpm --but i wont really know until i try it --i even thought about running the ignition system off of one motor but then if the chain stretches one motor goes out of time ---any way the reason for this build is like i said the bike will be able to run any engine or combination of engines and will be easy to change and can run in 56 (?)  different classes just by changing motor or motors---just some thoughts  willie buchta