Author Topic: 2 Questions. Drag Radials and Cage  (Read 9828 times)

Offline KAKRI

• New folks
2 Questions. Drag Radials and Cage
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
Hi.

Planning to attend the upcoming event for the first time and have 2 questions.

Drag Radials? Are there restrictions against drag radials? I'm running 255/50R16...pretty tall and quite soft sidewall...should I invest in different tires and do I have to? If I install the roll bar then I'm sure I could probably hit at least 150 in a mile.

Cage. Oh how I hate the idea of adding the weight to the car, but I realize that safety first. I'd like to go faster than 135 (cageless), how "small" and "light" can a cage be to qualify for runs past 135 mph? I'll be running a 2800 lbs 93 RX7.

Thanks!
Roman

Offline KAKRI

• New folks
Re: 2 Questions. Drag Radials and Cage
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
I'm guessing these 2 are very old questions that I can find answers to in the rule book or forums..  :mrgreen:

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Roman, you'll only want the "small" and "light" rollbar until you need it.
The rule book has decent recipes in it I'm sure, although your palate may need to aquire the taste.
Call one of the first two numbers on this page:
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=13
Joe oir Keith will give you the skinny on going skimpy.
Todd

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »
Contact Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis 303-378-3013, he can answer the questions and help with the roll cage., good luck
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »
Roman
I ran Maxton some time ago with a turbo Merkur XR4Ti.  For the time being my record of almost 175 MPH stands. (we only rent them)
Michelin/BF Goodrich was a sponsor back then and provided ZR1 tires, which were deemed safe. (shaved).
They WOULD NOT consider my using a radial drag/street drag or any type of Drag tire for standing start 1 mile.  The folks I was talking to at the time were the engineering community that knows the capability of their product.  Admittedly engineers are the most conservative group of people but based on all they said, I would not run drag tires that distance.
I have no idea what ECTA will allow you to do.  That is up to Joe and Keith to decide, but I wouldn't run them.  I think you would be better off with a high speed street tire shaved to min tread.

Rick

Rick

Offline sean

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »
Last time I asked, Drag Radials were OK at ECTA. Not drag slicks.  Saw a few running them last April. It is best to call the gentlemen above to verify.

Offline KAKRI

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »
Appreciate you guys replying. I will give Joe a call tomorrow about the cage construction.

I saw this little article
"All cars in competition over 135 MPH, must be equipped with a roll bar or roll cage structure. All closed cars between 135 and 150 MPH must have a 4 point roll bar. All closed cars between 150 and 175 MPH must have a 6 - point roll bar. All closed cars over 175 MPH must have a full roll cage. All open cars are advanced one bar / cage category over closed cars. Any individual wishing to enter a vehicle which deviates from these rules MUST contact the ECTA 45 days before the event for approval."

Only problem is the BIGGEST cage I've seen in a 7 so far is a 4 point.

As far as drag radials, I have quickly changed my mind after running them 130mph+ ... DEFINETELY don't like the swaying, will have to get some tires.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »
Auotpower has kits for your ride in 6 point.  You really need guidance from Joe or a rule book.  You have to have plates with the unibody, most of the kits you can buy do not have plates large enough. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:12:28 PM by wolcottjl »
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline KAKRI

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
No rotaries here  :-D

Offline Jeremy Blaze

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
No Wanke?  Thats just not right! :-D
I'm guessing you are LSX powered?
Never been to the salt.  Drag racer

Offline Top Secret Z

• New folks
  • Say hello to ma little 305....
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »
I'll answer for him, yes it is an LS powerplant.

Offline Jeremy Blaze

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Nice 3rd gen, got a link to your page?
Never been to the salt.  Drag racer

Offline KAKRI

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
^ That's funny because this question would correctly be applied to me or the Camaro :)  I don't have a page, it looks like I won't be making this event, I guess will have to get a cage in  :evil:.

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
If you are in wilmington you need to bring it and race anyway. Just mind your speed. you will still have a blast. If you dont race show up anyway. You can learn alot from the other racers and unlike drag racing we are more then willing to share info to help you go faster!!!.

As far as drag radials go I have made 10 150mph passes on the bfg drs, 4 170mph passes on the m/t drs and 1 200mph pass on the m/t dr. I never once had a swaying issue. In fact I highly recomend a DR for any car with over 300rwhp they hook up 100X better then a street tire, especially when you start to hit the max drag coeff. where traction is at a premium for the car to keep accelerating.

mike
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
Mike --

What's a D/FSS

and an A/FRS?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records