Author Topic: How much run out do you need at 200 mph - bikes? Cars?  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

How much run out do you need at 200 mph - bikes? Cars?
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »
Ok guys,

heres the deal,  I am doing a little research on a project I am working on.  One of the things I really need to know is how much run out do you need to comfortably stop after you hit 200 mph.

So assuming you hit 200 mph coming through the traps after the 1.3 mile run at El Mo,  how much room do you need to slow and stop comfortably,  and safely.  parachute or no parachute for you car guys -  let me know which ? Oh yah -  are you running 2 brakes?  or 4 brakes?

Carl Johansson
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:26:06 PM by Carl Johansson »
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: How much run out do you need at 200 mph - bikes? Cars?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:18:19 PM »
Hey Carl,
I have a MPS/BG 1350 bike that I have had over 200mph 3 times at Elmo. I just use the rear brake and downshift to slow down. As soon as I slow down to around 120 I start to turn wide to the left and am stopped in about 1/4 mile going the opposite direction towards the pits. As soon as I sit up, it slows down real fast (aerodynamic braking!). I don't know how far the "back door" is from the finish line, but the bike can get turned and stopped way before that.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:12:02 AM »
Hey Carl,
I have a MPS/BG 1350 bike that I have had over 200mph 3 times at Elmo. I just use the rear brake and downshift to slow down. As soon as I slow down to around 120 I start to turn wide to the left and am stopped in about 1/4 mile going the opposite direction towards the pits. As soon as I sit up, it slows down real fast (aerodynamic braking!). I don't know how far the "back door" is from the finish line, but the bike can get turned and stopped way before that.

Don

Better put some front brakes on in case a chain breaks.. :-D

Dons bike has been 229+ mph at El Mo.

J

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
Seems to me Kenny "Hollywood" Hoover stopped Jr.'s 'liner #6969 from a trap speed of 250+ at El Mirage in less than 1/2 mile with rear brakes only (no 'chute) back in '06. How does this help you?
I think Freddy say's he turns out in about 1/2 mile too in his 290 mph lakester, he uses the parachute though, as Hollywood got in a bit of trouble for his adventure.  :-)

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:08:33 AM »
Carl, I have a gas roadster#832 that runs El Mirage all the time, It has rear disks only good sized and a single parachute that is sized for 230mph and about3200# vehicle weight. It takes all of the shut off for me to feel comfortable to turn out. This last year my speeds were 202-210mph and the roadster is now 4400#approx. I did go out the back door once last when I had a pilot chute failure, only buy a 80' , that was 206mph and all brakes, could of stopped inside, I just could not make myself lock up a $1500 set of mickeys. This years remedy is a new larger Stroud chute ! Hope this helps. Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »
Seems to me Kenny "Hollywood" Hoover stopped Jr.'s 'liner #6969 from a trap speed of 250+ at El Mirage in less than 1/2 mile with rear brakes only (no 'chute) back in '06. How does this help you?
I think Freddy say's he turns out in about 1/2 mile too in his 290 mph lakester, he uses the parachute though, as Hollywood got in a bit of trouble for his adventure.  :-)

That rear end must have been all over the place trying to slow that thing down so fast. :-o

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:38:16 AM »
John,
I am taking your advice and putting at least one front brake disk back on the bike. My thinking was that the rotors and calipers caused too much drag, but I have seen other fast bikes including yours go much faster than mine with the brakes. And your point is well taken about the chain breaking.

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
Thanks for the input so far guys,  Does anyone know off the top of their heads -  how long the runout is typically at El Mo?   I'm assuming something like .7 miles -  that would explain the 1.3 mile run up -  right?

Keep the info coming -  the more I have the better decision I can make!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:40 PM »
170 MPH in my Civic. No chute, front brakes only. Easy 1/2 mile turn out.

At Bonneville 207 MPH, ribbon chute only, no brakes used at all. Easy 0.7-0.8 mile turn out.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »
From 200+ at Bonneville I close the throttle at the 5 while tucked in.  At about 160 or so I sit up (usually that's about the 5 3/8 or so), and that slows me to 135 or less right quickly.  Then I start downshifting and turn out around the 6 or wherever the next turnout is.  I never touch the brakes at all -- unless maybe I want to stop close to Cris and Ed's truck.

At Maxton I cross the line at 200, snap the throttle shut, hold on TIGHT! and sit up right away.  I use both front and rear brakes and could (theoretically) make the short shut down turn, but usually don't -- just wave at the safety workers and go down the long shutdown under low power to clear the course quickly enough to let the next vehicle run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »
My procedure sounds like Slim's Bonneville deal.  Gradually close the throttle after the 5, gradually sit up and slow to 160 then start the turn and come back around.  I don't brake much at Bonneville.

At El Mirage I go through the lights and roll off.  Pump the brakes 3 or 4 times to get the pads back out there, sit up gradually and slow to 160 with moderate braking and then start the turn.  I try to carry some speed around to coast off course quickly and back towards the pits.  Last El Mirage run I started to get into the potato chips before my turn but I was still in Bonneville mode.  Probably could have (should have) braked/turned sooner.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4