Author Topic: Newbie question about motorcycle class  (Read 5808 times)

Offline arkansas

• New folks
Newbie question about motorcycle class
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »
I've been lurking for a bit, but this is my first post.  I made it to Speed Week last year as a spectator and caught the bug!  Anyway, I've got a rule book ordered, but I just want to get a little heads up.  I've got a '06 gsxr1000 road race bike that I want to put on the salt with as few lsr specific modifications as possible.  I'm fairly sure I'll come next year with a dedicated bike, but this will have to do this year.  The bike is basically a standard supersport with aftermarket glass bodywork (typical track body), stock wheelbase, etc.  From searching the site, I'm guessing it would pass for MPS/G.  Is this a fairly safe assumption?  What about the Modified class?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

-justin

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Newbie question about motorcycle class
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Hey Justin,
Welcome to the board!

I does sound like you should run MPS (Modified Partial Streamlining). However you may be able to get in the production class if you follow the rules right. The aftermarket bodywork must be a replica of production body.  The "Modified" class is what is called Naked and would require you to take off all bodywork ahead of the rider except for the fender.

There are lots of things you can do as a MPS to make your bike go faster. How fast do you think your bike will go? You may need to put on taller gearing, add ballast, etc. Anything done to the engine to get more power?

When you get the rule book you can see what is required for your class, but in general, with MPS you can do a heck of a lot more than as a production.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline arkansas

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm not really sure what it will do, but it's pretty much my only option for Bonneville.  I'm going to try to make it down to the Texas Mile at the end of the month to set some sort of baseline.  The motor is stock right now.  If I make it a dedicated lsr bike, then I'll open it up and maybe run the fuel class with a bit of nitrous or something.  We'll see.  From what I have searched, I think production would be out of the question... no lights, custom exhaust, suspension, etc.  I didn't realize modified was basically "naked".  I take it I could pull the fairing off and run modified?  I'm eagerly waiting to bury my nose in the rule book!

-justin

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm not really sure what it will do, but it's pretty much my only option for Bonneville.  I'm going to try to make it down to the Texas Mile at the end of the month to set some sort of baseline.  The motor is stock right now.  If I make it a dedicated lsr bike, then I'll open it up and maybe run the fuel class with a bit of nitrous or something.  We'll see.  From what I have searched, I think production would be out of the question... no lights, custom exhaust, suspension, etc.  I didn't realize modified was basically "naked".  I take it I could pull the fairing off and run modified?  I'm eagerly waiting to bury my nose in the rule book!

-justin

Justin - w/any streamlining forward of the rider - you're "Partially Streamlined". Unless the body work EXACTLY matched production bodywork, you're "ALTERED" .vs. Modified.   Think of "modified" as "modified production" - ie. pipes/airbox, stretched swingarm w/in a small percentage of stock (10?). 

SO - based upon what you've said about your bike, I'd think that you would fit into the APS/1000-G class, unless the bodywork IS an exact replica of the stock plastic, in which case you'd fit into the MSP/1000-G class. (assuming you run gasoline bought at the track, otherwise you'd be in the fuel class".

As Mr. Pearsall has advised - you really need to get a rulebook, and go through it to gain an understanding of the modifications permitted in each class.

As you get questions - ASK - this is the place to get more info than you EVER thought existed.

HTH -
Ray
Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »

-justin

Justin - w/any streamlining forward of the rider - you're "Partially Streamlined". Unless the body work EXACTLY matched production bodywork, you're "ALTERED" .vs. Modified.   Think of "modified" as "modified production" - ie. pipes/airbox, stretched swingarm w/in a small percentage of stock (10?). 

SO - based upon what you've said about your bike, I'd think that you would fit into the APS/1000-G class, unless the bodywork IS an exact replica of the stock plastic, in which case you'd fit into the MSP/1000-G class. (assuming you run gasoline bought at the track, otherwise you'd be in the fuel class".

As Mr. Pearsall has advised - you really need to get a rulebook, and go through it to gain an understanding of the modifications permitted in each class.

As you get questions - ASK - this is the place to get more info than you EVER thought existed.

HTH -
Ray

Umm Justin and Ray

I don't think the above is quite right.....

Modified and altered classes have some specific differences other than body work......seat height must be above the rims in modified and below the rims in altered, as well as foot peg location requirements in regard to the rear axle.

After all there are a number of bikes running in the MPS class with Toy Fairings.

MArk
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:39:55 PM »
It sounds like you are an mps 1000 to me.  be careful about the stretch on the swingarm, otherwise you'll get into altered.  We got rule changed into altered a little while back :)  Welcome, and enjoy.  This is a great resource for info and ideas.  Cheers!
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio

Offline RayKimbro

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »
<SNIP for brevity>
Umm Justin and Ray

Modified and altered classes have some specific differences other than body work......seat height must be above the rims in modified and below the rims in altered, as well as foot peg location requirements in regard to the rear axle.

After all there are a number of bikes running in the MPS class with Toy Fairings.

MArk

Mark - You are indeed correct in that there are other modifications that can determine whether the bike is "M" or "A".

The gentleman mentioned that he had "roadrace" bodywork, and my understanding (PLEASE!  show me the rule if I'm mistaken!!) is that aftermarket bodywork that is not an "oem replacement" places the machine out of the modified class. 

Slim - you lurkin' out there?

Ray

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Ray:

I'm at home, sicker than a dog, with a late-winter flu that's got the hounds of hell chasing me.  I don't think I'm in the best mental place to offer a comment on bodywork -- but I'll take a read through the rulebook and -- if and when my head comes back to thesame planet that the rest of me is on -- I'll try to offer some comments.  Of course - by then the correct answers will have been carved in the creek bed by snowmelt.  Just be patient...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayKimbro

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
Ray:

I'm at home, sicker than a dog, with a late-winter flu that's got the hounds of hell chasing me.  I don't think I'm in the best mental place to offer a comment on bodywork -- but I'll take a read through the rulebook and -- if and when my head comes back to thesame planet that the rest of me is on -- I'll try to offer some comments.  Of course - by then the correct answers will have been carved in the creek bed by snowmelt.  Just be patient...

Sorry to hear that you're feeling poorly, Jon - I hope that Nancy's able to get your fixed up and feeling better soon!

Ray

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »
<SNIP for brevity>
Umm Justin and Ray

MArk

Mark - You are indeed correct in that there are other modifications that can determine whether the bike is "M" or "A".

The gentleman mentioned that he had "roadrace" bodywork, and my understanding (PLEASE!  show me the rule if I'm mistaken!!) is that aftermarket bodywork that is not an "oem replacement" places the machine out of the modified class. 

Slim - you lurkin' out there?

Ray

Justin and info to Ray,
 You are MPS if your tail is less than 36 tall, after market, toy whatever... What the rule is talking about is you are allowed to be over 36 in MPS if the stock was over 36 and you have after-market identical to stock bodywork...  :-)  Be very careful about WB stretch with extensions.  Your book says you have a 55.5 wheelbase, it will measure that with the axle full forward if it is like our 02.  That means your total WB must be under 61.05.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »
What the rule is talking about is you are allowed to be over 36 in MPS if the stock was over 36 and you have after-market identical to stock bodywork...  :-)  

Rephrased: Anything other then OE(or exact replacement) is limited to the height rule.
Todd

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
What the rule is talking about is you are allowed to be over 36 in MPS if the stock was over 36 and you have after-market identical to stock bodywork...  :-)  

Rephrased: Anything other then OE(or exact replacement) is limited to the height rule.
Todd

yea, what Todd said....  :-D
Stainless

Offline HotRudyRod

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
Hi, im new here and have basically the same question, dont mean to hijack the topic but could anyone point out a place where you can read what the body abreviations mean, for example: A-F, A-BF, MPS-F, etc, etc.
Or if there's a place online where you can read the mods allowed for each class? I have a ZX12R with basic mods (power commander, sprockets, yoshi can, K&N filters) i would like to fix up for top speed racing and keep it as stock as possible for the stock class.

Thanks a lot before hand, Rudy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:58:36 PM by HotRudyRod »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
HRRod, the rule book is the key to starting to understand the bike stuff, I still get confused with the letters but for sure two words moves your scooter to MPS... Yoshi can.... Production class is as produced, anything else is modified unless you do enough to be pushed to Altered.
Stainless