Author Topic: scrap metal bender  (Read 4858 times)

Offline sheribuchta

scrap metal bender
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
This morning Willie had a couple of hours to build a sheet metal bender. He needed to build up some wings with a small front radius. So he built a bender and the way it works is...
There are two pieces of tube welded to two pieces of angle iron. Between the two tubes theres a space where the other tube gets pressed down between the two to form a 180 degree bend with a half in. radius. The radius is dependent on the size of the center tube. You can make any size you want for any radius.The center tube is driven down between the two outer tubes in this case by some threaded rods and a couple of nuts. You can make it hydrolic, air or whatever for the power.
First thing you got to do is dig through your scrap pile. My scrap pile as you can see is underneath my workbench.The pics explain the rest.
Willie Buchta

Offline sheribuchta

Re: scrap metal bender
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »
more pics

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 08:28:58 PM »
more pics
Willie

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »
and for the last ones.........

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:41:22 PM »
 Willie,

Yesterday we did the layout on a flexplate blowshield for my buddy's lakester and I came home wondering how we were going to make the 4 or 5 required bends in a workmanlike manner using our limited equipment.  Read this thread last night and the light went on!  Today I checked the "available stock supply" and built a similar version using 1/4" angle iron in place of the bottom rolls and left the tubing off the verticle 1/4" blade.  Worked great, made for a fine day.   If I ever get West or you get to Maxton, I owe you at least one beverage of your choice.  Thank you for the just in time post and Jon for providing the site to make it all happen.

Take care,

Ed Purinton

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
thanks ed  you have made my time spent takeing pics and posting all worth while  and yes thanks jon  willie buchta